• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

So it's perfectly ok for the prime movers behind the rallying call to close it now to completely take over this thread and proceed to mock it? I think I'd better go and search for my sense of humour cos it appears that got lost somewhere along the way here.

Enjoy your schoolboy humour boys, you won't have any women left on here soon.

Ok. Happy hunting.

:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

So it's perfectly ok for the prime movers behind the rallying call to close it now to completely take over this thread and proceed to mock it? I think I'd better go and search for my sense of humour cos it appears that got lost somewhere along the way here.

Enjoy your schoolboy humour boys, you won't have any women left on here soon.

No women Ricey is still here and even if all the women go what does it matter why you birds into football its a MANS game anyway ;)

Interesting....what date did SZ officially first go on line......from what I recollect it must have been around that time....?

I seem to remember 9/11 was when I worked in Farringdon, so it must have been around that time.

Of course, back then we had decent conversations based on proper footballers like Declan Perkins and Steve Broad.

Of course, back then we had decent conversations based on proper footballers like Declan Perkins and Steve Broad.

and Soup.

Steveo - I had nothing to do with the closing of the thread, although I did find it sad that OBL always seemed to go and hunt it down and bring it back up. The decision to lock it was down to the owners.

OBL - the posts that get resurrected are usually really old threads that have not seen the light of day for years, they can be considered retro and part of the history of the Zone, so sometimes it is good to see how things have EVOLVED since then.

To me the Live Chat Thread needed to be locked for a while to allow the Zone to move on, of course in a few months/years the mod could re-open it so if it needed to come up for nostalgia it could, however unlike the other threads it is rather large so I doubt people would read it in it's entirety.

IMHO the LCT was encouraged at the time by the owners not to just to give you guys a place to ask each other questions but to stop you from hijacking other threads with your own chit chat totally irrelevant to the original poster. It would be like sitting in a pub having discussion about Damian Scannell when suddenly two or three people started to show each other and discuss pictures of cats across the table and ignoring everyone else who was originally debating.

there were pictures of cats being shared !!!!! i must have missed that....can that thread be re-opened i didn't get mine in ....

* Pulls up chair, cracks open beer, clicks on Page 1 of thread, enjoys*

Doesn't work like that though

But then again neither did 517 pages of the staged 2nd one like I tried to explain to you both yesterday and before.

The beauty of the first one was it's randomness, you just did not have that in the locked, nor would you in any future, LCT!

Well, as I understand it, the decision has been taken to close the Live Chat thread.

I won't begin to even attempt to understand why something so innocuous provoked such an anti feeling amongst so many, was it because they were somehow threatened by the good natured banter that went on and felt that went wholly against the edgy image generated by the keyboard warriors? As with any thread on here you have the choice to read it or not so if you didn't like it why read it - and that goes for the mods too. I'm well aware that some didn't like it but others did so it could have been left for them to moderate.

As I see it, this is a big mistake, the Zone is fast becoming a depressing place to be and yet more and more bleak, disillusional threads are being created. Very few of the old "clique" now remain, most have been driven away by certain individuals, so it was natural that the Live Chat thread would not be used as much however it was still used.

For those of us who have frequent recourse to be around in the early hours, the Live Chat thread was always somewhere where you would expect to find someone to while away some time while sleep was beyond you. It was somewhere we did planning and arranging, gave help or advice.

I for one, am very sorry to see it's demise - farewell old friend

2206_mourning_over_dead_friend1.gif

Tilson OUT!

Personally I have never viewed the live vhat thread so I dont know why it has gone or why it is missed so much.

It seems a shame for OBL etc that something she felt so strongly about has gone but as I dont know the content then maybe I should stay out of it.

All I would add is cliques come and go and the type of posts sometimes suit you sometimes dont. For me the peak of the zone was a few years ago when you maybe had less family/kid type posters and we had some proper funny topics on here.

Bazza the Dogs - Roughest bird ever shagged was the BEST topic in my opinion on here, Slippers stories, Cockles one line put downs, posters boasting about there sexual antics etc etc - It was unmissable.

Nowadays the zone is not as funny for me. I think a lot of it is down to posters getting older and the fact (probably positive) that the zone was a much wider appeal and therefore needs to be more main stream.

All I am really trying to say is the zone changes and posters change. Personally I would say enjoy the topics you want and dont read the ones you dont.

Sadly, nowdays it would probably be about what kind of veg is best to serve with salmon encroute....;)

or what is the best brand of nappies!

A return of the Friday DtS poll would liven things up a bit...

And then you settled down........

Difficult to argue with any of that DtS bashing.

<takes deep breath>

Forgive me for being a bit simplistic about things, but this is a Southend United fans' forum, for Shrimpers fans to talk about Southend United - and occasionally to have the odd off-topic discussion in a pub.

In my view, the Live Chat thread had no place in this forum. As it happens, although I took no part in the decision to close the thread, I support that decision 100%.

Everyone is welcome to go into the Pub and have discussions about any particular burning topic of the day - be it the PCC's decision in Moir's Gately Article; the war in Afghanistan; an upcoming general election; or Keeley Hazell's boobs. Any such topic is almost certainly likely to warrant a new thread, so that discussions can take place in the appropriate forum.

What the Pub is not supposed to have is one post where any old bollox can be spouted. Whether intentionally or not, that thread actively encouraged (a) the creation of cliques; and (b) the domination of that thread and indeed other functions of this board (such as post count and reputation points) by those who had the luxury of spending the most amount of time in that thread.

That thread was in no way conducive to the betterment of ShrimperZone as a whole and indeed had a very negative effect by subverting post count and rep functions.

The last time that rep was grossly subverted in that way resulted in a major row about rep, the resetting of rep of a large number of posters to zero, the closing of an entire sub-forum (rather than just one post) and a very major row with a sizeable group of posters. It was unpleasant and unfortunate, but we survived.

No one wants a row about the Live Thread or to row with you, Kay. You are a much-liked and respected member of the board, and in every other forum and thread, your contributions are welcomed and valued. That you are unable to see the Live Thread, however, as anything other than a complete subversion of what ShrimperZone stands for is because you are too close and too emotionally tied to that particular thread.

No doubt you will feel sore about this decision for a while; but in six months' time, I am sure that if you came across it again, you'd wonder what all the fuss was about.

And now, in a move which will no doubt prove just as unpopular - but which I will take anyway since I'm not here to win popularity contests, but to promote the well-being of this board in general - it's time we locked this thread. Can we please stop talking about the live thread for a while; and let's start talking about SUFC instead? After all, that's really why we're all here.

Matt

< exhales >

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back