• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When drilling in the bathroom:

• If you can, drill through the grout rather than the tile.
  • If you can't then put some sellotape on the tile where you want to drill. This will help stop the drill slipping.

Get a professional in if you can afford it is my tip.

Having just moved into our first house at the weekend, we've made a list and going to get a pro in. Only relatively simple stuff like curtain rails, shelving etc but enough possibility for me to **** up, so best to get a pro in!

(if anyone knows anyone good in the Upminster area PM me!)

It's well worth getting a drill and some rawlplugs for simple stuff like that. save yourself a fortune!

And remember if it all goes boobs up, Pollyfilla is your friend. :winking:

To be fair when drilling into a wall it's always worth remembering some basic things.

Don't do it directly above or below an electrical fitting cos there could be a wire.

Use a good quality masonry bit, otherwise they can bend and make a huge mess.

Measure how deep you need to go and then mark that depth on your drill bit with some masking tape.

Never trust the measurements on rawlplugs and screws and drill bits, buy a selection of each of them and make sure you get a tight fit.

Get your Dad to do it.

And remember if it all goes boobs up, Pollyfilla is your friend. :winking:

A million times no. It is expensive and dries rock hard.

Those in the know use jointing compound to fill cracks. Gyprock ready mix jointing cement (available from Jewson) is the stuff to buy however it comes in 12 litre tubs so it may be a bit much if you are only filling a hole caused by a stray dart. That said I added a splash of water to the tub and have been using it for four years!

Much, much easier to sand and gives a great finish.

When filling don't be too tempted to scrape too much off otherwise when sanding (always use a sanding block) you might find you haven't quite filled all of the hole.

Having just moved into our first house at the weekend, we've made a list and going to get a pro in. Only relatively simple stuff like curtain rails, shelving etc but enough possibility for me to **** up, so best to get a pro in!

If you pay someone to install a curtain rail you will never hear the end of it.

Do it yourself and if there are any complaints hand your partner the drill and **** off down the pub.

If you get back and find the rail is perfectly installed it is time to pack your bags and get out.

You can't be serious?

Man up!

I moved in to my first home 2.5 years ago, it was a new build, so nothing in place. I did the following (with no experience):
Tiled Kitchen floor
Tiled Bathroom floor
Put laminate down
carpet
curtain rails
built shelves in the airing cupboard
turfed the garden
blinds
tv on the wall
wallpapering
painting

all sorts - youtube is your friend

Think how much I have saved rather than your method.

I didn't screw up much either

You can't be serious?

Man up!

I moved in to my first home 2.5 years ago, it was a new build, so nothing in place. I did the following (with no experience):
Tiled Kitchen floor
Tiled Bathroom floor
Put laminate down
carpet
curtain rails
turfed the garden
blinds
tv on the wall
wallpapering
painting

Good stuff mate. Youtube is indeed your friend.

You can't be serious?

Man up!

Tiled Kitchen floor
Tiled Bathroom floor
Put laminate down
carpet
curtain rails
turfed the garden
blinds
tv on the wall
wallpapering
painting

That is impressive. I basically just don't want to mess things up - and when I get in late at night it's the very last thing I want to do! Might just leave until the summer and have a go myself.

It is indeed. I used it to teach me how to change the kitchen tap. I did a pretty damn good job, not because I'm such a great plumber, but because I found a great clip that showed me exactly what to do. The wife took the kids out for a couple of hours, and when they came back it was all done with no mess.

It is indeed. I used it to teach me how to change the kitchen tap. I did a pretty damn good job, not because I'm such a great plumber, but because I found a great clip that showed me exactly what to do. The wife took the kids out for a couple of hours, and when they came back it was all done with no mess.

The only give-away was water still dripping from the ceiling:smile:

Back