• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

gazmassie

Firstly, lets just get one thing straight. I was at Spalding to see Lawrie play for Peterborough. To say he was ineffective and poor is an absolute load of rubbish. Mark Wright had totally changed the team for the second half. The team was full of youngsters and more than likely, reserves. Dudfield was the only one who looked like he had ever played the game before. Barry Fry was also at the game and said exactly the same to Mark Wright and at one point later that evening he even threatened him with the sack.

Dudfield has never wanted to leave Southend. He is settled in the area with his partner and young child. He was not spoken to by anyone at the club from the playoff final until about 2 weeks ago. He was never offered a new contract until then and it was for considerably less money than he was on last season. As i have said, he wants to stay at the club but realisticaly, would any of us sign a new contract in our jobs if we were offered substancially less money. Plus, the offer was only another one year deal so come January he would be back in the same position that he was this year.

It is true that Dudfield has family in the kettering area but he is Southend through and through. He wants to stay and fight for his place and given the chance Im sure he will do.

Laurie Dudfield could still be useful to us and I would be quite happy for him to sign. That way, we can concentrate on signing another striker without the stresses of time constraints or having insufficient backup in the squad... and if he's not needed come January, then let him go on a free transfer.

I am not a Dudders knocker and am sure he is an effective back-up player, third or fourth choice, but whether or not he wants first team football or more money or whatever, he is a third or fourth choice striker and would be at most clubs. Ask yourself this, if Mark Wright is so wrong then why is it that Dudfield is on trial anyway?. If he is such a good player, sought after and fought over, teams like Peterborough should be snapping him up and not offering a trial to see what he might or might not be able to do. There is a hoard of managers that have seen him play so where is the queue?. I personally feel he is a good player that will do his all when called on and I would be happy to see him on the bench or starting occassionally to cover injury or suspension. If he were the first choice striker it would tell me we did not have enough quality in the side and what would our third/fourth choice striker be like?. Given that, I find it no surprise that RM is not breaking the bank over him. He is however offering Dudfield a further years employment and the opportunity to prove his critics wrong. If in the coming season he suddenly becomes a more consistent and skilled player and perhaps lives up to his potential or ego, then I am sure RM will offer him a better deal next term. You have to earn a contract.
rock.gif

I thought from previous posts that Dudders wasn't signing because he wanted first team football? Is it this or money as to why he isn't signing?

I still hope a compromise can be made - he would be an excellent squad player for us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gazmassie @ July 18 2005,11:06)]Dudfield has never wanted to leave Southend. He is settled in the area with his partner and young child. He was not spoken to by anyone at the club from the playoff final until about 2 weeks ago. He was never offered a new contract until then and it was for considerably less money than he was on last season. As i have said, he wants to stay at the club but realisticaly, would any of us sign a new contract in our jobs if we were offered substancially less money. Plus, the offer was only another one year deal so come January he would be back in the same position that he was this year.

It is true that Dudfield has family in the kettering area but he is Southend through and through. He wants to stay and fight for his place and given the chance Im sure he will do.
So, how do you know so much?

I know so much as i am a friend of Lawries from Kettering. So i have first hand knowledge that he wants to, and always has wanted to stay at Southend.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpereeee @ July 18 2005,11:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (gazmassie @ July 18 2005,11:06)]Dudfield has never wanted to leave Southend. He is settled in the area with his partner and young child. He was not spoken to by anyone at the club from the playoff final until about 2 weeks ago. He was never offered a new contract until then and it was for considerably less money than he was on last season. As i have said, he wants to stay at the club but realisticaly, would any of us sign a new contract in our jobs if we were offered substancially less money. Plus, the offer was only another one year deal so come January he would be back in the same position that he was this year.

My thoughts exactly...

Or is gazmassie actually Lawrie himself...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gazmassie @ July 18 2005,11:06)]Firstly, lets just get one thing straight. I was at Spalding to see Lawrie play for Peterborough. To say he was ineffective and poor is an absolute load of rubbish. Mark Wright had totally changed the team for the second half. The team was full of youngsters and more than likely, reserves. Dudfield was the only one who looked like he had ever played the game before. Barry Fry was also at the game and said exactly the same to Mark Wright and at one point later that evening he even threatened him with the sack.

Dudfield has never wanted to leave Southend. He is settled in the area with his partner and young child. He was not spoken to by anyone at the club from the playoff final until about 2 weeks ago. He was never offered a new contract until then and it was for considerably less money than he was on last season. As i have said, he wants to stay at the club but realisticaly, would any of us sign a new contract in our jobs if we were offered substancially less money. Plus, the offer was only another one year deal so come January he would be back in the same position that he was this year.

How embarrassing for Lawrie to get his mum to post on a message board.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ July 18 2005,11:24)]I am not a Dudders knocker and am sure he is an effective back-up player, third or fourth choice, but whether or not he wants first team football or more money or whatever, he is a third or fourth choice striker and would be at most clubs. Ask yourself this, if Mark Wright is so wrong then why is it that Dudfield is on trial anyway?. If he is such a good player, sought after and fought over, teams like Peterborough should be snapping him up and not offering a trial to see what he might or might not be able to do. There is a hoard of managers that have seen him play so where is the queue?. I personally feel he is a good player that will do his all when called on and I would be happy to see him on the bench or starting occassionally to cover injury or suspension. If he were the first choice striker it would tell me we did not have enough quality in the side and what would our third/fourth choice striker be like?. Given that, I find it no surprise that RM is not breaking the bank over him. He is however offering Dudfield a further years employment and the opportunity to prove his critics wrong. If in the coming season he suddenly becomes a more consistent and skilled player and perhaps lives up to his potential or ego, then I am sure RM will offer him a better deal next term. You have to earn a contract.
rock.gif
Hear what you're saying but I still prefer him to Gray.

How can you earn a contract if you're not getting picked?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (moneypit23 @ July 18 2005,14:49)]How can you earn a contract if you're not getting picked?  
rock.gif
Catch 22... but when he was given the chance he hardly gave a good account of himself.

I know Gray didn't either towards the end of the season, but by then the team were faltering quite a bit and Gray had played well with Eastwood before that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ July 18 2005,13:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (moneypit23 @ July 18 2005,14:49)]How can you earn a contract if you're not getting picked?  
rock.gif
Catch 22... but when he was given the chance he hardly gave a good account of himself.

I know Gray didn't either towards the end of the season, but by then the team were faltering quite a bit and Gray had played well with Eastwood before that.
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's just that I hate to see him leave on bad terms after the way he joined us on loan and helped dig us out of the hole we were starting to fall into.

He's a different player to Gray, and certainly no worse in my opinion. I don't agree with the people who say Dudfield and Eastwood don't work and I can remember far more good games he played than bad. I know he had a stinker at Oxford and nobody was more gutted than him - he just sat on the bench with his head in his hands.

He's almost gone from hero to zero in some people's eyes, and I just don't buy it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (moneypit23 @ July 18 2005,15:12)]
[b said:
[b said:
rock.gif

Yeah, I know what you mean.  It's just that I hate to see him leave on bad terms after the way he joined us on loan and helped dig us out of the hole we were starting to fall into.

He's a different player to Gray, and certainly no worse in my opinion.  I don't agree with the people who say Dudfield and Eastwood don't work and I can remember far more good games he played than bad.  I know he had a stinker at Oxford and nobody was more gutted than him - he just sat on the bench with his head in his hands.

He's almost gone from hero to zero in some people's eyes, and I just don't buy it.
I for one would like to see hi sign up, but I agree that he's really only worth a 1 year contract with the option to extend in January if he's impressed enough for it.

I don't think we can really comment on the pay offer because we don't know enough info, but if he was on first team money and he's being offered squad player dosh now, I can see why.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ July 18 2005,14:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (moneypit23 @ July 18 2005,15:12)]
[b said:
[b said:
rock.gif

Yeah, I know what you mean.  It's just that I hate to see him leave on bad terms after the way he joined us on loan and helped dig us out of the hole we were starting to fall into.

He's a different player to Gray, and certainly no worse in my opinion.  I don't agree with the people who say Dudfield and Eastwood don't work and I can remember far more good games he played than bad.  I know he had a stinker at Oxford and nobody was more gutted than him - he just sat on the bench with his head in his hands.

I for one would like to see hi sign up, but I agree that he's really only worth a 1 year contract with the option to extend in January if he's impressed enough for it.

I don't think we can really comment on the pay offer because we don't know enough info, but if he was on first team money and he's being offered squad player dosh now, I can see why.
Pah, far too reasoned an argument!
glare.gif

Save our Lawrie!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ July 18 2005,12:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpereeee @ July 18 2005,11:40)]
[b said:

My thoughts exactly...

Or is gazmassie actually Lawrie himself...
I can 100% tell you that i wish i was a professional footballer, but im afraid its not the case. Like i said, i am a friend of Lawries from School and i can honestly tell you taht he would like nothing better than to stay at Southend.

I remember Laurie Dudfield picking us up from out of a hole last season (Chester @ Roots Hall) and all this despite playing second fiddle to Gray and Eastwood. His form and morale is bound to suffer as a result of warming the bench for so long, throughout the season and he has my sympathies.

In reality, he would get few opportunities for us in League 1 as well. What he needs to do, is bide his time and as soon as (heaven forbid) one of the others gets injured/suspended, he has to take full advantage of the opportunity.

I had the opinion that Dudfield & Eastwood were ok as a partnership, but maybe because they are so similar, that something just wasn't clicking between them... would this be a training ground issue, or just simply that Gray and Eastwood works better because of their natural differences?

Despite all that has been said "for and against", I still hope an agreement is reached.

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gazmassie @ July 18 2005,14:32)]I can 100% tell you that i wish i was a professional footballer, but im afraid its not the case. Like i said, i am a friend of Lawries from School and i can honestly tell you taht he would like nothing better than to stay at Southend.
Well, next time you speak with him, you can tell him from MoneyPit23 & me at least, that we'd be pleased to have him stay and feel he has much more to his game and has more still to give than Wayne Gray has.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MilkeySUFC @ July 18 2005,15:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (gazmassie @ July 18 2005,14:32)]I can 100% tell you that i wish i was a professional footballer, but im afraid its not the case. Like i said, i am a friend of Lawries from School and i can honestly tell you taht he would like nothing better than to stay at Southend.
Well, next time you speak with him, you can tell him from MoneyPit23 & me at least, that we'd be pleased to have him stay and feel he has much more to his game and has more still to give than Wayne Gray has.
Same here.

[b said:
[b said:
And also that perhaps he should stop believing everything his agent tells him and get signing the only offer he currently has.

It's amazing how unprincipled you can be when on the dole...

[b said:
[b said:
Me too, for what it's worth. I think he's a quality player who has always done well for us and who never looked like giving less than 100% even when sitting on the bench for most of last year. Give him a contract Ron, we could do a hell of a lot worse and in my opinion, Wayne Gray is actually a hell of a lot worse.....

Back