• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My feeelings at the end of last/ start of this season were that I would approach this season in the same way that Wigan fans and other teams who have made it to the Prem recently and that is one of enjoyment and celebration regardless .We have come so far so quickly and some peoples expectations have gone way off the scale its ridiculous . Our squad is not that much changed from Div 2 let alone Div 1 , in fact a quick metal totup tells me we had 6 players who played for us in Div 2 playing yesterday and they deserve the fans loyality and support along with the new players not to mention Tilly and Brush FFS . They and Ron have done this Club proud and if the Johnny-cum-latelys can't take disappointment along with the good times I for one would rather they dissappear back to where they came from as ,it is not SUPPORT , and will not help the cause/ bigger picture at all . Surely the only way forward is to get off individuals backs and remember what we are up against , ie the vast amounts of money that business men invest in Championship Clubs in the hope it will get them into the Golden Goose and start being the twelth man that we need to be for the players . Fair enough sound off on here and down the Pub but if you cant say anything positive during a game then far better to say nothing at all or uck off back to The Spammers or Spurs or where ever you came from.

Well put Prittlewell!

smile.gif

Exactly, people have to realise how big a step up it is from L1 to the Championship and that there will be occasions this season when we will be outclassed by a far superior side. Personally I'm surprised (and delighted) that we only experienced that for the first time this season yesterday and up until now I think we've played extremely well. Maybe we deserve a couple more points on the board than we've got but the last 7 weeks has shown we can compete at this level and whilst we'll certainly be bottom half I'm very, very hopeful we'll stay in the division. Realistically we'll do very well to survive up until the new stadium's built (HOPEFULLY within 3 years) and we'll only give ourselves a real chance of establishing ourselves as a Championship club when that comes to fruition - 21st every season til then will do me just fine.

I think one of the problems to be honest is the current "me" culture that seems to have pervaded society.

yes, it's very easy to shout off at a player, then claim "I paid, it's my right" and yes, it's true, it IS your right, however, let's look at the bigger picture for a moment.

A man's walking along a cliff top. He looks over the edge, and sees something interesting. Now, at this point, yes, it's his right to lean over too far to have a look, one could even claim it's of interest to the man, however, it most certainly isn't "in the interest" of him to do so.

So, how does that translate to a football match?

Well, there you are, in the stand, and Paynter's missed a sitter/Maher's passed backwards/Flahavan's missed a cross (just examples, and not digs at the aforementioned players) You're obviously a bit frustrated to say the least, possibly even irate, so, what do you do?

Do you scream "You f*&%ing idiot -------"? You've paid your money, and you have the right to do so.
Is it something that could be said to be of interest? Well, possibly, maybe you can have a quick giggle at your particular witticism.
Is it in your interest to shout at the player? I'd say that if you're a supporter then NO!

Why not?

Well, look at it this way, list the potential benefits of shouting at the player.....

Temporary relief of frustration
chance to "look big"

and the potential drawbacks?

Makes you look a Tit (ok, arguable)
Demoralises the player, and may hinder his performance thereafter
Angers other players, therefore negatively affecting their frame of mind
Makes the ground a more hostile place for our own team, either losing our home advantage, or increasing the oppositions.

See? It's not worth it really. Why not try encouraging the poor chap. He probably knows he's dropped a clanger, and the last thing he'll need is the increase in pressure.

Want an example? ok then....

Swansea away last season. Fallon scores to put Swansea 1-0 ahead, we need the point(s) to guarantee automatic promotion, and there's plenty of pressure.

What happened? Well, for a moment there was the muttered sound of a couple of thousand fans saying "b*ll*cks", then a pause whilst we regained our composure...

Then the crowd once again got behind our team vocally. Not blaming people for mistakes, but cheering them on to an equaliser (or two as it turned out)

Bit better don't you think? Crowd got behind the team, who were lifted, who then repaid the fans by giving us something to sing about!

Gone on a bit I'm afraid, so here's the "Janet and John" bit for those who can't be bothered to read through....

Cheering works, it lifts the players, who respond by scoring. they're Southend, we love Southend, therefore this is a good thing.
tounge.gif

Well said all the guys on this post.

It really ****es me off when for example, Freddie misplays a pass and someone calls him a useless c*nt! Does one bad pass suddenly make him a useless c*nt? I know it's probably just frustration but comments like that p!sses other fans off! Especially me!

I thought we were very quiet yesterday, heard a bit of noise from the North West but that was it!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swanseashrimper @ Sep. 25 2006,21:19)]Well, there you are, in the stand, and Paynter's missed a sitter/Maher's passed backwards

Do you scream "You f*&%ing idiot -------"? You've paid your money, and you have the right to do so.
Yes.. yes i do, and will continue to as long as it's justified and it ****es you off..

Oh dear, we really are an angry young man aren't we CSJ?

I have this mental image of you you know, and it's very similar to Cartman, off of south park

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swanseashrimper @ Sep. 25 2006,22:40)]Oh dear, we really are an angry young man aren't we CSJ?

I have this mental image of you you know, and it's very similar to Cartman, off of south park
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Ignore CS Joke. He doesn't seem to understand to concept of supporting a football team through thick and thin. He appears to think that he has a divine right to hurl obscene abuse at players when the going gets tough but also desires to bathe in deep adulation when things are just too good to be true, much like the last 24 months or so. That's not what supporting a football team is all about. This is the time when the players - ALL the players - need the support of the fans most. When the going gets a little bit tough. They want to hear encouragement from the stands. They want to hear comfort from the stands: that's a sh!te pass but come on, concentrate and let's work TOGETHER and win this game. Abuse and temper tantrums don't work. Think Sunderland. Think Nottingham Forest. Think Leeds United. Then think maturely and lift your voices in SUPPORT of the lads. THAT is the concept of supporting a football team. NOT the cack-arsed castigation that CS Joke believes he is entitled to, because he is not. He needs to hop off and play with his ITK mates and leave the football to the real fans, the brave fans.

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 25 2006,22:52)]real fans, the brave fans.
f%&k me... your a right one aren't you..
laugh.gif

i can imagine you standing there...

in front of thousands of people, with a tear in your eye...

"we are together, the brave fans, the real fans..."

laugh.gif

f%&king hell, i laugh at you i really do..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sebastian Weetabix @ Sep. 25 2006,22:59)]He got the Cartman bit spot on though. 'He killed Kenny, *******'
laugh.gif

he killed seb..

ps: don't bring a breaker's bar.. it would be an uneven match up
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 25 2006,23:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Sep. 25 2006,23:57)]f%&king hell, i laugh at you i really do..
But I'm guessing not as much as the rest of us laugh at you, Mr Joke ...

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
oh your coming out with them good'uns arent ya..

you really don't know how many people dislike you do you?

oops.gif

ooooh.. contraversial..
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

i love it i really do.. this is great, this past week has been superb..

spot on posts, realism is definitely needed in the stands at the moment... however i think that much of the frustration shown on sunday was due to the simple fact that we can play much much better. we might have had 6 players on the field who played in league 2, but its beside the point due to the fact that most of the players on sunday were not at their best. this issue doesn't really stand with the issue of support. i cheered everyone on for 90minutes on sunday, along with everyone around me (i heard no booing when paynter was subbed), however it is my right to come back to SZ and try and work out why we didnt click on sunday. whether it was tillys tactics, the support, or poor performances by our big game players.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Sep. 26 2006,00:04)]you really don't know how many people dislike you do you?

oops.gif
Oooh! How can I sleep at night knowing that all CS Joke's mates hate me?! I'm overcome with emotion! I'm on the very edge of despair!

One word, kiddo: "bothered".

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 25 2006,22:52)]Think Sunderland.
What as in singing "were sh*& and we know we are" , throwing shirts on the pitch and kicking the team bus.

Will that help then??

tounge.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 25 2006,23:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Sep. 26 2006,00:04)]you really don't know how many people dislike you do you?

oops.gif
Oooh! How can I sleep at night knowing that all CS Joke's mates hate me?! I'm overcome with emotion! I'm on the very edge of despair!

One word, kiddo: "bothered".

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

good night mike.. work tomorrow,
more business meetings and the like..
enjoy your day in the sun..

alien.gif
word..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back