• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

:Hilarious: Yeah - and that purple jump suit! :Stunned:

I was struck by how many great artists in the film are no longer with us.Of course Van is along with Neil Young,Dylan and Mavis Staples,Emmy Lou Harris (+Joni Mitchell, just about).Don't really care about Neil Diamond.We lost Dr John not long ago too.Only 2 members of The Band left now. :Sad:

Thoroughtly enjoyed Quentin Tarentino's Once Upon a time in Hollywood earlier.Obviously what QT would have liked to happen to Sharon Tate et al's killers.Pity it didn't.Brad Pitt was so much better than DiCaprio.

Another vote for Sydney Pollack's 1972 documentary on Aretha Franklin Amazing Grace.

Strange to see SP and Mick Jagger in the audience/congregation.

Think I would have preferred to have seen a secular full length concert film from around that era though rather than all the clappy,happy gospel.

The Founder. Seen it a few times before but an excellent if not underrated film. Michael Keaton is excellent in it. I recommend it if you have not seen it.

A Dogs Journey - a life from kid to adult as seen through the eyes of dogs (though just one as it was continuously reincarnated). MK Jnr was rapt despite it having some fairly adult themes. Enjoyable enough. 7/10

Bait.

A quite stylish - in a stark sort of way - observation of the effect of the holiday home owners' occupation of ('ye quaint olde') fishing villages of West Cornwall and in this particular instance, Mousehole. I suspect that it might be derided as 'pretentious' by some critics but I quite liked its old-fashioned camera work and grainy effects. Good to see 'The Kernow King,' Edward Rowe, in a serious role and his depiction of embittered fisherman Martin Ward was quite convincing. The first time I've heard the local phrase "Woss' on" in film. 7/10.

Bait.

A quite stylish - in a stark sort of way - observation of the effect of the holiday home owners' occupation of ('ye quaint olde') fishing villages of West Cornwall and in this particular instance, Mousehole. I suspect that it might be derided as 'pretentious' by some critics but I quite liked its old-fashioned camera work and grainy effects. Good to see 'The Kernow King,' Edward Rowe, in a serious role and his depiction of embittered fisherman Martin Ward was quite convincing. The first time I've heard the local phrase "Woss' on" in film. 7/10.

Not to be confused with Bate - the incredible tale of the rise, fall and rise of a football coach in England. From the nadir of his sacking from his first managerial post at Southend United in September, 1987, Dick Bate miraculously lands a coaching job with the England youth set-up just over ten years later and prior to his steep ascent to the position of Elite Coaching Manager of the FA.

"Strange but true ..." ('Football Journeys')

"A wonderful film, especially for Gills fans." ('Gillingham Gazette')

"Uncomfortable viewing for Blues fans - just makes you realise what an incredible job that Paul Clark did that season." ('Evening Echo')

And for those familiar with DB's record ... 1/10

I am even tighter, I download them for nothing.

I'm certainly not tight, but have to watch the penny's these days, with rent and bills going up, and less coming in, so I watch them for nothing on an android box, also called a Kodi box by some(Before anyone says, yes I know Kodi isn't the box). The only problem is you have to wait over 6 months before the best quality is released in 1080p, as if watching a new film just out, it's very grainy and not worth watching. But I'm fine with that, I just wait. I can watch any film for free. My favourite this week is Bad Times at the El Royale. Cinema's and the likes of Sky Movies really take the p with their prices.

There are plenty of dodgy torrent sites out there if you want a free movie. I found Kodi a real ball ache to use.

Bait.

The Grauniad liked it.:Winking:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/01/bait-review-mark-jenkin-cornish-fishing-village

Avengers - Endgame - Watched it last night and I'm not really sure what I thought of it. They certainly packed an awful lot of superheroes into one film together with an awful lot of action - eventually (very slow getting going). So I have decided to watch it all again at the weekend and then make a judgement. After there's no game on Saturday so I've got to watch something.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - the young 'un loved it, despite it being a tad old for her (some dodgy sexual stuff went over her head). Still superb if looking a little dated. 9/10

American Woman - Sienna Miller gives a remarkable perfomance as a blue collar American single mum who's teenage daughter goes missing and she has to raise her grandson alone. Very earthy and realistic, recommended. 8/10

Back