• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
Biopic of a band I always describe as 'my favourite group who I don't own any records by', BH is slightly naff, in the same the way that every band/musician biopic I've ever seen is a little bit naff, but highly enjoyable and extremely well done. The recreation of Live Aid was particularly breathtaking I thought. Although Rami Malek rightly gets all the plaudits for his uncanny portrayal of Freddie, I also have to single out Gwilym Lee and Joe Mazzello for totally nailing the look and mannerisms of Brian May and John Deacon respectively. While not strictly one for Queen fans only, I'd imagine the more you like the band, the more you're going to get out of it. And although fairly long, the 2 and a quarter hours flew by for me. 7.5/10

I know I’m in a minority, but I though Brian cox was better as lecter in Manhunter

Not that much of a a minority.I could never quite see why they wanted to remake the film.It was a first rate piece of work and Michael Mann has always been a director to be reckoned with.Still as they say in Spanish, El dinero manda (money talks).

Last edited:
I know I’m in a minority, but I though Brian cox was better as lecter in Manhunter
I agree. And I suspect I'm in an even smaller minority in finding Jodie Foster really annoying in SOTL - she almost ruins the picture for me. The one big thing SOTL has over Manhunter is the inclusion of 'Goodbye Horses', what a tune!! That said, 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' is pretty amazing too.

I agree. And I suspect I'm in an even smaller minority in finding Jodie Foster really annoying in SOTL - she almost ruins the picture for me. The one big thing SOTL has over Manhunter is the inclusion of 'Goodbye Horses', what a tune!! That said, 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' is pretty amazing too.

To me they're both equal - Manhunter was great but then most Michael Mann films are. Very 80s. SOTL was also great. I watched it only last week. The camera angles are fantastic, and the ending is perfect.

On Lector, well he does ham it up in the later films but in SOTL he is perfect. Cox is great for the Manhunter film, but the book Lector is Hopkins 100% IMO.

ps SOTL came about because the book was so good but Manhunter flopped. The original producer of Manhunter had to sell rights to Orion who almost couldnt finance it because Gene Hackman pulled out of jointly financing it. Demme loved the novel, and Ted Tally adapted it for the screen.

Sean Connery was first choice for Lector by the way. Michelle Pfeiffer was first choice for Clarice. but Jodie pitched herself after she read the novel.

I love both films.

Remember seeing Antony Hopkins sat on a bar stool by himself at the bar in The Hole in the Wall pub (Waterloo) back in the mid-70s. A long time before he' got into film acting .Had no idea who he was but he certainly had presence.
I think I first became aware of AH in Richard Attenborough's 'Magic', which I probably first saw in the early '80s.

Back