• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Glasgow Rangers reached the final of the UEFA Cup by defending doggedly against superior opposition and then snatching chances on the break, but last night at The City of Manchester Stadium, those tactics finally blew up in Walter Smith's face. For 72 minutes, Zenit St Petersburg bounced off the thick blue wall in front of them, but when Igor Denisov danced through the defence to latch on to Andrey Arshavin's superb through-ball, the Scottish side were left stunned. They had barely crossed the halfway line all night and there they were, with just over 15 minutes to change their entire gameplan. It was asking for too much, too late. Perhaps, if the Scottish FA had given the team the rest they needed, Rangers might have been able to put up more of a fight, but they just didn't have it in them. Konstatin Zurianov finally applied the coup d'grace with the last kick of the match, skidding home to make it two-nil.

Zenit St Petersburg, while not at their peak either, were much the better team and are worthy winners of the UEFA Cup. It seemed for a while that the absence of their leading goalscorer, Pavel Pogrebnyak, would cost the Russians dearly. Replacement frontman Fatih Tekke was, to put it bluntly, as much use as a chocolate teapot at a summer garden party. If you looked very closely you could see smiles spreading across the faces of the Rangers defenders as the Turkish striker either dawdled so long that they could wander out and boot the ball away from him, or just ran headlong into them. He could have stayed out there until now, as you read this newspaper, and he still wouldn't have scored.

But that didn't matter as long as Zenit had Arshavin. The floppy-haired midfielder is the Russian Steven Gerrard, always surging forward, always looking for the killer pass, always capable of changing the game. He will miss the first two games of the European Championship through suspension and the tournament will be all the poorer for it. Expect to see him entertaning the fans at one of the elite European clubs before long.

For much of this game though, the best source of entertainment was in the stands where the Russian fans boldly attempted a battle of decibels with the Scottish support. The Zenit faithful tried their best, pogoing up and down on the spot, but there was only ever going to be one winner. No one can make as much noise as the Scottish. It was a pleasing diversion from what was, overall, a rather dull battle of attrition, and it should be noted that, despite earlier fears, there wasn't even a hint of the racism that Zenit's support was alleged to be bringing with them.

Just making it to the final was an incredible achievement for this Rangers side, but when their astonishing season comes to an end, hopefully with some domestic reward, I fear that they may view this game as a chance missed. The tactics were negative, understandably so against such strong opponents, and the players were tired, but on the few occasions that they actually had possession, they quickly squandered it. All-out defence can be effective if every component of the team is ticking over at a steady rate, but if it isn't, if the passing is poor or the composure evaporates, it is a terribly frustrating way to lose a game of football.

But that didn't matter as long as Zenit had Arshavin. The floppy-haired midfielder is the Russian Steven Gerrard,

Harsh.

For much of this game though, the best source of entertainment was in the stands where the Russian fans boldly attempted a battle of decibels with the Scottish support. The Zenit faithful tried their best, pogoing up and down on the spot,

My abiding memory of a largely forgettable game will be the large chested Russian girls in the front rows bouncing up and down. Good stuff.

Harsh.

I know you are anti-Gerrard, arguing he gives away possession too easily, looking for the 'hollywood pass', but I was reading the Opta stats in the Mail on Sunday (hey it was given out free on the plane!) and he is 4th for number of passes in the prem (not surprisingly behind 3 Arsenal players who pass for passes sake) with an accuracy completion of just over 77%. Given he does sometimes try to play the probabing long pass, it seems a pretty decent figure...especially added to his goals and direct assists (amongst highest in both).

I know you are anti-Gerrard, arguing he gives away possession too easily, looking for the 'hollywood pass', but I was reading the Opta stats in the Mail on Sunday (hey it was given out free on the plane!) and he is 4th for number of passes in the prem (not surprisingly behind 3 Arsenal players who pass for passes sake) with an accuracy completion of just over 77%. Given he does sometimes try to play the probabing long pass, it seems a pretty decent figure...especially added to his goals and direct assists (amongst highest in both).

I think the number of passes is pretty irrelevant, as you point out the Ar$enal players tend to pass for the sake of passing.

Giving it away nearly a quarter of the time does still seem to me to be fairly excessive. How did that compare to the much maligned Frank Lampard Jr, or Gareth Barry or Carrick?

I think the number of passes is pretty irrelevant, as you point out the Ar$enal players tend to pass for the sake of passing.

Giving it away nearly a quarter of the time does still seem to me to be fairly excessive. How did that compare to the much maligned Frank Lampard Jr, or Gareth Barry or Carrick?

Carrick was one of the higher ones with about 83%.....Fabregas, is sublime on the ball, but as you say makes a lot of passes, had about 81% so only 6-4% more, and Id argue Gerrard does attempt a lot more probing passes then them. There was also a random stat about chances created per game and Gerrard was second (dunno how they work that out of define 'chance' but assuming we are taking Opta as the bible, this seems more relevant than direct assists which relies on someone else converting).

Back