• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Brown The Right Man for the Job

• Total voters
I am in the camp of 'it was time for a change, but not this change'. Sturrock's time here was running out, although I think he was relieved of his duties 2 weeks too early, and we needed somebody new for a few games at the end of this season to hit the ground running next season.

Now this is no no way a judgement based on the 4 games under Brown, I didn't go to Bradford or Rochdale so can't comment and I don't think we played too badly against Fleetwood or Crewe in all honesty, but something doesn't sit right for me. I'd love Brown to do well and prove me wrong, I really would but I have a bad feeling about this. It's like when your best mate starts dating a new lady. She's a looker and he's chuffed and on the surface all looks calm but something lurks in the back of your mind and you think, '****, this is all going to end in tears'. And it usually does.

In my opinion I am normally one of the more optimistic supporters, certainly when I compare my feelings to some of those posted on this board, but my feelings seem to be being echoed by others on here, posters I would consider to be level headed and this concerns me. I'll stick with Brown, i'm not one to vent frustrations during or after the games, prefering quiet reflection, but for the first time in a very long time i'm worried about what's actually happening on the pitch as opposed to off it.

No don't believe Phil Brown is the right man, employed by somebody who doesn't really understand football in my opinion and just looking for a big name to raise profile and revenue. Having said that i will give him a fair chance as we were pretty awful under Sturrock for 3 months previous so i think a lot of blame has got to sit with the players, after all the managers can do a lot but they can't cross the white line onto the pitch and our team as a whole looks woefully school-boy in their play and appear to be struggling even with the basics. But what can you expect from a team full of loanees and others with contracts expiring they're gonna play for themselves not for the team. The whole philosophy at the football club needs to change, we need to start building from the ground up, take a leaf out of Crewe's book and build teams that's core play together consistently for years. I know its tough in the lower leagues but that way you get a unity and togetherness which shows in the way that a team performs as they play for each other and for the club then to an extent it doesn't really matter who the guy on the touchline is. Wouldn't it be great to cheer on some local lads in the first team a bit more?? Not convinced that's going to happen under Brown though but if not him then who?

Won't be possible anyway with the new EPPP regulations. Any decent young player we have will be snapped up for peanuts.

No club without a large injection of funds can ever hope to emulate Crewe now, sadly. Crewe have had a philosophy which dates back to when football was much more of a level playing field, and the top clubs were not hoovering up any youngster who showed even a hint of footballing ability. In the 80s and 1990s they sold the likes of Rob Jones, Neil Lennon, Danny Murphy and David Platt for big money, which they invested into their youth system, which in turn continued to develop a reputation for excellence and therefore parents of young boys who showed promise were happy to send their kids to Crewe.

Hence more were sold, more money was made and the club stayed financially stable and has done superbly, for such a small town.

Unfortunately, as mentioned earlier, the EPPP regulations, meaning big fees for clubs developing young players are a thing of the past, will put an end to any lower league clubs daring to act in this dangerously maverick manner of putting their faith in young players. There is no point splurging what little resources we have in a youth system which we will get nothing back from.

Just another example of how the greed of the Premier League has ruined football and will eventually kill it for lower league clubs altogether.

I believe we can cut ties with no "pay-off's" within the first 6 months...

Not 100% on that though, so could be bollocks. Just something I heard.

I don't think I've openly argued for a manager to be dismissed since Alvin Martin, but this is the most encouraging thing I've heard about Brown yet.

The second most encouraging thing is that he's spreading the word that he wants to bring Horton in as he's no.2. This is encouraging as 1. Horton knows his stuff and 2. when Ron says no Brown might use it as his opportunity to flounce.

The more I read about Brown the more worried I got; the more I see of Brown the more worried I get.

The main argument seems to be "he needs time to bring his own players in". But his transfer record at other clubs isn't one of bringing in great signings, it's of bringing in journeymen who leave without a legacy.

All this talk about he knows Big Sam is depressing. That isn't because I hate W*** H** (although I do), it's because loanees aren't the way to build and develop a club. They are a short-term fix for a short-term manager - you know the type who'll in an end of season mid-table obscurity battle will field three loanees and not one of your own players under the age of 25. This is going back to the days of Alan Little when we signed at great expense Steve Jones on loan despite us having no chance at the play-offs and then wondered why we were in such financial difficulty.

So far he's taken the team backwards from a position which was deemed sufficiently bad to sack the previous incumbent. There has been no sign of improvement

I see names like Devonshire and Edinburgh mentioned. They don't overly grab me (Devonshire is W*** H**, Edinburgh's record I think is patchy) but at least with them I see reasons why it could work (knowledge of lower leagues, ability to work on a shoe-string budget) and the possibility of long-term improvement. I couldn't find a single straw to grasp at when it comes to Brown. He's a short-term appointment and our short-term results and performance are atrocious and getting worse - as someone pointed out Brown has actually started worse than Dick Bate.

Won't be possible anyway with the new EPPP regulations. Any decent young player we have will be snapped up for peanuts.

Thats depressing! It will work both ways though as lads that don't make it at the top level will be forced to drop down to move forward as has always been the case and they'll still be young enough to work with and help progress. Let's face it we're not looking for world class youngsters are we and 'decent' whilst more than good enough for us won't be good enough for the top level clubs. If the EPPP regs are the death knell for lower league youth development then what does that mean for football as a whole, the top of the tree can't survive without nourishing the roots! Something has to give, do we really want to watch crap football played by has-beens, unwanted's and mercenaries forever more and pay for the privilege. I've seen slicker passing and better control from some local youth academy and Sunday league teams than our lads have displayed recently.

I believe we can cut ties with no "pay-off's" within the first 6 months...

Not 100% on that though, so could be bollocks. Just something I heard.

So he's got until the 25th Sept if that's true, nice one Ron :thumbsup:

The rather curious thing about Brown's appointment is that he has not managed at this level and must be quite expensive compared with some of the viable alternatives. Moreover, his success came at a club where he had generous financial backing.

I believe we should have moved heaven and earth to tempt Justin Edinburgh here. He has consistently demonstrated is a very capable manager at the non-league level and clearly has a big future in the game.

By the way, some of the best young managers in Divisions 1 and 2 emerge via the non-league route.

This.
Local lad, ex-shrimper, saved Newport from relegation & got them to FA Trophy final in his first season and already secured a play-off place this season.

John Still would have been my first choice but he left Daggers a month before, and Martin Ling is ill so Justin would have been my next choice. After that Alan Devonshire, or maybe Lee Bradbury. I would have also considered giving Coughlan & Harris joint temporary charge until the end of the season.

I am not a Brown fan , and have serious doubts that he is the right man for us.
But I will not judge him on this season , as he walked into 'Ron's pre-wembley fiasco show' and despite making some odd team selections already , it is IMO a little harsh to judge him yet.

We have to give Brown the benefit of the doubt until proved otherwise. He has inherited a largely poor squad assembled by Sturrock. In his interview after the game last night Brown hinted that he is using these last few games to assess the squad. This may explain why he has made so many changes such as leaving Tomlin out. He also mentioned about having a look at some of the youth players here, Mitchell Pinnock was on the bench last night. I am not convinced that he is the right man but results will tell us the real story. Lets hope that he can get off to a good start next season.

I like to think of myself as being somewhat level-headed but yeah I've no time for Phil Brown at all and wouldn't shed a tear if he left tomorrow. I'm slightly biased there in that I didn't want him here in the first place but nothing that has happened since has made me question that gut-instinct.

I really hope that I'm proven wrong and that Phil Brown goes down as the best manager in our history.

Why on earth are people all moaning about Phil Brown.....give him a chance, let him build a squad and have this debate come November/December time.

Also - all managers make odd decisions. How can people justify the likes of Tilson and Sturrock doing it but calling for Browns head when he has only know the squad five minutes.

Tilly loved playing centre forwards out wide and Sturrock played Prosser left midfield.....Jeez, come on guys, give the guy a break.

Why on earth are people all moaning about Phil Brown.....give him a chance, let him build a squad and have this debate come November/December time.

Because he still hasn't won a game.

im not judging him yet but I can see why people are not happy.

Give the bloke a chance.

He would not have been my pick but you have to give him time. I wonder how many of the people voting No were amazing at their current jobs within the first four weeks of starting.

It takes time and I see this a quite a pointless poll at this stage. Give him the summer to sign his own players and then lets review after 10 games.

Brown out useless, Its not managers that need sacking, ITS THE PLAYERS. Bring back TILSON.:clap:

It's a bit like Marmite to me,you either love it or hate it. I have never liked the bloke whatsoever so its a firm NO from me.

Back