• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AS I've suggested earlier, if posters / supporters feel aggrieved, I still don't think their interests are best served by acting like an unruly mob with protest banners, abusing their own supporters etc.

Many on here have acknowledged King made a mistake, he has been told off by his boss, made to apologise and ended up with egg on his face. I'm not sure there is now a vast wave of support for those against King and I think it's dangerous for the banner makers to assume they are speaking on behalf of the majority.

Im sure there are a lot of better things supporters can now do, otherwise it just ends up looking like personal vendettas and behaviour of the typically maligned supporter baying for blood.......and the current flavour of the month is King. Surely trying to be the better people and move on is the bigger move and likely to earn more respect from the club.

When has anyone ever said they speaking on behalf of others those who want to be part of it can those who dont would of gone home, so lucky for you you won't be at Oldham and won't be in the west stand so your well away from it.

And am sure there isn't any banners abusing other supporter or even abusing King himself

When has anyone ever said they speaking on behalf of others those who want to be part of it can those who dont would of gone home, so lucky for you you won't be at Oldham and won't be in the west stand so your well away from it.

And am sure there isn't any banners abusing other supporter or even abusing King himself

1. The homemade banner that I saw a picture of says 'West Stand' which could be interpreted as an attempt to speak on behalf of the 'West Stand'.

2. People have pointed at the poll on here and numbers on a facebook group as demonstrating a majority of fans want king out.

By all means make your banners, take your stance as you are perfectly entitled to do, and best of luck with it. I and other posters have merely tried to suggest it might be time to move on and find something more productive to do.

I can not believe there are going to be any sorts of protests against a man who has been part of the SUFC growth over the last few years, yes he made a mistake which he has now appologised for but for a small group of fans to say they are doing this for the good of the club is ridiculous, I remember protesting against a certain vic jobson when he said he was moving the club to basildon, that is worth protesting about, my dad spitting blood about anton johnson as he stole money from the supporters and almost run the club out of exsistence, these are points worth protest, this is IMO a non event in the extreme and as I mentioned above a small group of people thinking that they are protesting for 'the good of the club' should really look at the bigger picture, under martin/king the club has doubled average attendance, enjoyed back to back promotions, three trips to the millenium, raised the profile of the club to previously unknown levels, I believe the club has made running profits in recent seasons and whether you like him or not king has been part of all that, chill out and concentrate on cheering on the players(which the boys in that part of the west always do brilliantly btw) why create negativity when we could all draw a line under it and look forward to next season and possible glory

So you think thats down to king? Nothing to do with the fact we've got a top management duo? Nothing to do with the fact we've had some brilliant players in the last few years? Nothing to do with the fact we've sold our best players for a high profit, despite the profit going missing? Yes i agree there have been bigger points to protest, but this is still a point that needs to be addressed. Simple. I, like many others refuse to be dumped on by King

So you think thats down to king? Nothing to do with the fact we've got a top management duo? Nothing to do with the fact we've had some brilliant players in the last few years? Nothing to do with the fact we've sold our best players for a high profit, despite the profit going missing?

To be fair he said King has been "part of all that" and not that it was all down to him.

Nobody from the Prime Minister downwards ever apologises for anything these days even when it is obvious that they are bang to rights so fair play to King for doing so.

He has had his hand forced for sure but at least he did issue the statement and say that he was wrong. That is good enough for me and I am happy to move on although I suspect that will not be the general view here.

He has had his hand forced for sure but at least he did issue the statement and say that he was wrong. That is good enough for me and I am happy to move on although I suspect that will not be the general view here.
It is the general view, it's just a couple of people giving it the big-un who are stirring the pot.

AS I've suggested earlier, if posters / supporters feel aggrieved, I still don't think their interests are best served by acting like an unruly mob with protest banners, abusing their own supporters etc.

Many on here have acknowledged King made a mistake, he has been told off by his boss, made to apologise and ended up with egg on his face. I'm not sure there is now a vast wave of support for those against King and I think it's dangerous for the banner makers to assume they are speaking on behalf of the majority.

Im sure there are a lot of better things supporters can now do, otherwise it just ends up looking like personal vendettas and behaviour of the typically maligned supporter baying for blood.......and the current flavour of the month is King. Surely trying to be the better people and move on is the bigger move and likely to earn more respect from the club.

I think the problem is, we feel he HAS NOT been properly dressed down, his apology is hardly an apology, it's an excuse for why he attacked us. and a crap one at that. How can you go on the word of someone else and attack your own customers? that in itself warrants repercussions.
And as for egg on his face!! no chance. I bet he's fuming. I bet he STILL thinks he was right. I don't want to be a defeatest, but it looks like the club are going to ignore us. I'd like to see King give a public apology at the very least. Against cheltenham :stunned:

I think the problem is, we feel he HAS NOT been properly dressed down, his apology is hardly an apology, it's an excuse for why he attacked us. and a crap one at that. How can you go on the word of someone else and attack your own customers? that in itself warrants repercussions.
And as for egg on his face!! no chance. I bet he's fuming. I bet he STILL thinks he was right. I don't want to be a defeatest, but it looks like the club are going to ignore us. I'd like to see King give a public apology at the very least. Against cheltenham :stunned:

If he means it let him come on the pitch against Cheltenham and get on the mic and apologise! - if he does that it will go a long way and I for one would back down.

Congratulations Shrimperzone, I'd say. Looks like the website has got some real influence.

Man makes mistake. Man apologises for mistake. Issue over.

Exactly. Give the man a chance.

But if there is any trouble involving Cheltenham fans kicking off at Roots hall then he has to go.

1. The homemade banner that I saw a picture of says 'West Stand' which could be interpreted as an attempt to speak on behalf of the 'West Stand'.

2. People have pointed at the poll on here and numbers on a facebook group as demonstrating a majority of fans want king out.

By all means make your banners, take your stance as you are perfectly entitled to do, and best of luck with it. I and other posters have merely tried to suggest it might be time to move on and find something more productive to do.

Yes it has west stand on it as most of those who are "part" of this sit there plus this is where King pointed the finger, sorry maybe we should of wrote names on it

Am pretty sure no one has used figures from a poll or facebook and said the majority of southend fans want this to happen come on how is 130 facebook member anywhere near 5500 sth?

am just glad that your happy to accept his sorrys that he was clearly made to say and wait for him to bulls up again and even more people get. At our "family club"

But respect the fact people have accepted

To be fair he said King has been "part of all that" and not that it was all down to him.

So has wendy the tea lady, but she doesn't get a mention. In fact i say, (a bit like wife swap) we have a go of job swap. GK - tea lady this week. TLW - Cheif exec!!!

If he means it let him come on the pitch against Cheltenham and get on the mic and apologise! - if he does that it will go a long way and I for one would back down.

Yeah i would. But it would take a top-notch-this-is-the-bollocks-halleluja-hailmary-of-an-apology.

I could fully see him saying sorry, with such contempt that the apology is worthless. Afterall, if he IS truly sorry, whats the harm in him publicly addressing us at the cheltenham game? As a group attacked, we deserve a public group apology

The title of this thread needs changing, I have read the first post several times and still can't seem to find an apology anywhere.

I did some stuff insinuating that some(most?) fans come to matches to cause trouble- I thought we all came to watch the football

I also now realise that when I saw men women and children trying to get out of the way of trouble and moving away from the top of the west stand that I was mistaken and they (the men . women and children) were actually moving towards the trouble to get involved. I would like to thank Mr King for claifiying this for me.

This obviously explains why groups of people in block W decided to leave early, and a few moved to block X. They clearly thought that their chances of causing trouble were now gone and they therefore decided to move on . I assumed again that they were trying to move away from trouble, but in hindsight I can see that my first idea must be right as it ties in nicely to My King's statement

I also assumed that the drumming stopped for a while because the drummers could not beleive what was happening and were fed up. I now realise that in fact it must have been becasue they had worn themselves out with the fighting and were disappointed that it was all over---- I am amazed that Mr King did noit come to this conclusion himself

I would like to formally thank Mr King for educating me in this matter. I would also like to use Mr King's letter as a template that I can use at work for when I make my next error. However I have been advised that Mr King is an excellent business man therefore I assume that he will have copyrighted his letter for his forthcoming book on customer service techniques.

Apologies if I have used the wprd 'assume' a lot, but I didn't have all the facts when I wrote this note as I did not think that they were needed.

Now back to the football

Will the fans involved in the fighting in the first place say sorry for risking the reputation of your "family club"?

I could fully see him saying sorry, with such contempt that the apology is worthless. Afterall, if he IS truly sorry, whats the harm in him publicly addressing us at the cheltenham game? As a group attacked, we deserve a public group apology

Would a public apology go far enough?

Why not demand a large cash settlement?

After all Mr Kings statement named no individuals (let alone make specific accusations against them), was speedily withdrawn and was accompanied by an apology.

Libel lawyers up and down the land must be queueing up to represent you.

Last edited:
Yeah i would. But it would take a top-notch-this-is-the-bollocks-halleluja-hailmary-of-an-apology.

**** my old boots, you really are boring.

Would a public apology go far enough?

Why not demand a large cash settlement?

After all Mr Kings statement named no individuals, was speedily withdrawn and was accompanied by an apology.

Libel lawyers up and down the land must be queueing up to represent you.

As anyone considered bringing in a set of stocks and at half-time fans could pelt him with steak and kidney pies and such like....

stocks.jpg

Back