• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

well, considering the arsenal stadium and the chelsea training academy are up and running, I guess OK

:thump:

True, but 2 out of 12 might not be the desired success rate.
If he's sh*t hot & has a 99% record of winning his cases then we're laughing!

Sorry, I'm just getting a bit paranoid that something will crop up & the new stadium won't get the final green light!

True, but 2 out of 12 might not be the desired success rate.
If he's sh*t hot & has a 99% record of winning his cases then we're laughing!

Sorry, I'm just getting a bit paranoid that something will crop up & the new stadium won't get the final green light!

I try not to think about getting planning permission.
I still have a horrible feeling the government will stick their oar in big time and say no.

Is it that close to the A12 then? Whereabouts exactly, the north side of Colchester near the A120 turnoff for Harwich?

Really close; literally a Gary Richards' clearance away.

North and slightly east, probably two or three miles from the station.

RM's a clever bloke isn't he.

As a longtime fan of approximately 35 years I would be delighted to see SUFC playing in a new state of the art stadium.

But I'm not convinced that RM hasn't got his mind on other riches.

If the Inquiry is successful RM will become an even more wealthy man. He stands to personally gain a fortune from the Roots Hall site following the recent pp.

The last cog in the wheel is Fossetts Farm which, if successful, will enable RM to realise the massive return on his investment in Roots Hall.

Forgive me for being cynical for I have seen some loveable rogues come and go as Chairmen in the past, some of whom have not necessarily had the interests of the club at heart.

The beauty of this from RM's point of view is that he really can line his own pockets with gold and at the same time secure the future of SUFC. He will have achieved something that none of his predecessors could.

Good luck to him!

As a longtime fan of approximately 35 years I would be delighted to see SUFC playing in a new state of the art stadium.

If the Inquiry is successful RM will become an even more wealthy man. He stands to personally gain a fortune from the Roots Hall site following the recent pp.

The last cog in the wheel is Fossetts Farm which, if successful, will enable RM to realise the massive return on his investment in Roots Hall.

Forgive me for being cynical for I have seen some loveable rogues come and go as Chairmen in the past, some of whom have not necessarily had the interests of the club at heart.

The beauty of this from RM's point of view is that he really can line his own pockets with gold and at the same time secure the future of SUFC. He will have achieved something that none of his predecessors could.

Good luck to him!

Indeed, Ron Martin is of course trying to make money. However after seeing the cost of the development is £70 million or whatever I dont think it will be the cash cow people think.

However I honestly believe he wants this club to improve in a fooball sense as well and at present the Fossetts Farm development meets both criteria.

Its actually depressing to think of what may happen if the stadium is rejected. Ron Martin wont just keep pumping money into the club if it has no potential to grow...

Last edited:

Good luck to him!

Yep, I know what you mean, I was initially sceptical about Ron but I think he's had some kind of awakening (which I believe he's admitted to as well).

He wouldn't come out with quotes such as "we need this stadium, it will allow me to really make this club fly" or sack people for not having "enough passion in their eyes" if he didn't believe the football side of things were a priority.

OK, he wants to make a profit out of the move & the redevelopment but really is there that many of us who want him to fail in that? Getting a new home for SUFC is the priority and I honestly believe with it we can go places (I said as much on the Norwich forums the other day). I like to think we might develop as a club along the lines of Reading (I won't go as far as saying I want Premiership football, but Southend can definitely support & in truth deserves a strong Championship level team).

Last edited:
"Ron Martin wont just keep pumping money into the club if it has no potential to grow..."

I am not an accountant or a finacial wizz kid ..... but RM has been sitting on some very big receipts (CCC TV money, Freddy money, WH Lane x 2, Cardiff,
10k home gates x 24, JCR) and all Sir Steve has done is to build a lovely sensible costing squad - and however the accounts look any businessman will have ways and means of creaming off some of that ....

BUT its possible he's realised that the beautiful game can't be messed with and at stake is his reputation and place in history so he has to do the right thing -

"but Southend can definitely support & in truth deserves a strong Championship level team." .....DEFINATELY

R.M. wil fill his boots with cash.. but if it was a slash n burn asset grab then I think the plans for the new ground would be a lot less ambitious.. in fact the size of th eplan is probably what caused all the delays to start with.. The whole project seems to have aqquired acritical mass of its own.. I'm happy for R.M. and his associates to make pots of cash, risk reward n all that.. hopefully the shrimpers bug will make sure he reinvests plenty in the squad!

Ron martin is one of the best things to ever happen to this club. If it wasnt for him we could of been out of business, dont forget that.

Ron martin is one of the best things to ever happen to this club. If it wasnt for him we could of been out of business, dont forget that.

Got to agree and i have spoken to Ron at length about whether he is just after the assets or potential pot (I was blatanty honest with my questions) and he was very honest that in the early days it was about the Benjamins.

However he has fallen in love with Southend United like we all have done in our own ways. He enjoys going to the game on a Saturday to watch the Shrimpers play and he wants to make sure that the club is secure.

Don't forget to support the club at tomorrow's closing of the Inquiry

clicky thingy

Can I endorse this. The Trust have not only attended as frequently as it can but also made a submission to the inspector. One thing was clear and that is he sees the community aspect of the ground as a central theme.He is impressed by people turning up and showing support. In fact he counted the exact number of fans on the first day. So what I am saying is that it will be noticed if there is a good turn out tomorrow. However the opposite is true. A couple of people will not look good. If you can - turn up. It really is important. Thanks.

Back