• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Listening to BBC Essex on the way back Luggy said all needed to think hard about their efforts tonight and that he himself would be taking a look in the mirror.

Well, sorry Mr S, but despite my deep respect for what you have so far done for SUFC, if you take an honest look I think you will find tonight's shambles was your fault.

Why?

- well, for a start Coughlan was crocked at the end of the first half and should have been taken off at half time
- there was a ready replacement and it was not Moshni, instead Prosser should have been switched to the centre and JJ could have slotted in at full back
- and, what were you thinking about by being satisfied with the first half performance? We had a couple of chances but nothing earth-shattering, I don't remember once thinking 'that was close' with any of our attempts and by and large we failed to impress against an ordinary team in the firstr half which was really a bit dull.
- the two strikers were playing too far apart and the lack of width when there were folk available/on the pitch to provide it was mind-numbing
- plus Ferdinand is so in-effective when not in the centre I fail to see how a seasoned professional manager does not realise that
- so I suspect on the back of that the first half team talk was hardly inspiring, 'more of the same lads' would have in my view sent out exactly the wrong message, instead a kick up the backside would have been more in order as we really did not create much
- I suspect Crawley were given a kick and with us just in cruise mode under the false impression we were doing ok the opposition saw and took their chance. OK the first one was a fluke but they were creating plenty and it was only a matter of time as we became increasingly woeful
- And what on earth was Moshni doing even on the bench? The bloke at present is behaving like a total fruit cake and a proper message should have been sent to him by keeping him out. We do not have a massive squad but it is bigger than last year and we could have coped without him. Moshni's inclusion just sent out completely the wrong message to his colleagues.
- It is not just Moshni's childish behaviour, it's that Ram a dam thing too, how on earth can a professional footballer be expected to perform to the required standard when they are starving themselves? If they insist on conforming with their religion then maybe that is ok (though I do have some questions re that ................. and accepting that religion can be full of irrational stuff going on some anorexic binge must be one of the dafter ideas) but do not inflict the consequences of it on the others and stay out of the squad for the duration (and a bit beyond until you have chance to recover fully).
- and the stupidity of Moshni being around was sadly proved when he came on, not only by him giving away a penalty and nearly another but by the effect his presence seemingly had on his team mates who just became more off the pace as a result.

Ugh. Such a shame - we were there in numbers tonight and were badly let down when it just needn't have been like that. Still, another new ground ticked off the list again I s'pose.

I do believe Luggy will react in the right way and turn things round for Saturday. No one is immune to mistakes and I am sure those made tonight will be recognised and acted on in the right way as Luggy is I reckon that kind of man.

UTB

- well, for a start Coughlan was crocked at the end of the first half and should have been taken off at half time
- there was a ready replacement and it was not Moshni, instead Prosser should have been switched to the centre and JJ could have slotted in at full back

Sorry but I can't agree with that choice I'm afraid. If you were going to go down that route then surely we should have been putting Hall at LB and JJ out on the right wing. Hall has at least proved he can be a fairly competent deputee at LB, I certainly wouldn't fancy JJ playing there.

For my mind I agree Coughlan probably should have been replaced at half-time, however I think sticking Mohsni in as a straight swap would have actually been the best decision if Sturrock had no wish to move Hall.

Dear Sturrock, as much as i like you as a manager you still prefer a very similar negative 3 stooges in midfield. What is the point of sitting probably the best attacking midfielder in the league, Lee Sawyer on the bench. Do you wanna win games or not? Yes i know youv'e won 2 but tonight was a negative shambles!

Dear Sturrock, as much as i like you as a manager you still prefer a very similar negative 3 stooges in midfield. What is the point of sitting probably the best attacking midfielder in the league, Lee Sawyer on the bench. Do you wanna win games or not? Yes i know youv'e won 2 but tonight was a negative shambles!

I'm in the agreeing with wiggy camp as well

3 games, and you're already moaning, get a grip ffs! If it was a bad game, it was a bad game. But there's still 43 games to go for crying out loud!!

6 points from 3 games with the only defeat away to champions elect. That doesnt worry me.

What does worry me is that mohsni is undermining the hard work that PS has put in and had he not been such a raw talent he probably would have left the club. The fact he is worth a few quid and is a fans favourite makes life hard in that respect.

I think its time to utilise the fringe players and give a few a rest

An interesting thread which is rooted in the disappointment of a poor performance overall last night in a game we might have expected to at least draw given the performances of the two teams in the first half. In the end, Crawley played the football in the second half, looked quick and mobile (well, they would given the lack of coherence and bite in our midfield) and could have won by more than three goals in the end.

First, I thought at half time that the key player for us, had he been brought on after the interval, would have been Sawyer. He is mobile and works to link the team in a way that no one else seems capable of doing at the moment. I have to agree with Wiggy that he needs to be given his chance- JJ looks under par, as does Grant, and Kalala worked hard but without galvanising the others. Ferdinand looked misplaced out wide. At the back we looked solid enough until Mohsni came on when his rashness and apparent inability to read the game as well as Coughlan does cost us badly. He is a fantastic character but is a liability on the pitch at the moment, seeming to upset the shape and balance of the team. He needs a wiser, less impetuous head on his shoulders- Coughlan's, actually!

Plus points were the hard work of Dickinson (although he and Harris flattered to deceive as a partnership early on in the game) and Prosser who I thought had another good game. I lost count of the times he had to cover for Mohsni in the centre of the defence in the second half. A bad day at the office but I am confident that we will learn from this defeat.

Finally, great support from the Blues faithful, who deserved better from the team.

Given what I have seen of JJ (the first match of the season where he didn't seem to know how to cross) I would be tempted to play Sawyer on the right and Hall on the left, or even the other way round if that's what PS prefers. However, if you're going to play Sawyer on the right, then you might as well give JJ a chance there too...dilemas dilemas!

photobucket-captainhindsight1.png

Funny how Sturrock wasn't such an idiot in the last two games.

Dont think anyone has said Sturrock is an 'idiot' - by his own admission last night he got stuff wrong. And he will continue to do so on occasions like every other manager.

Think most are happy with the start to the season and a win Saturday equals an excellent start to the season IMO.

I think what is clear is that his signings are not or havent worked out YET. Ndiaye is a headcase who I doubt we'll see again, JJ is woefully out of form and Harris is finding his feet.

So best laid plans and all that - but far from an idiot.

photobucket-captainhindsight1.png

Funny how Sturrock wasn't such an idiot in the last two games.

If you read my message I am not calling him an idiot. Indeed, far from it. I end by stating:

"I do believe Luggy will react in the right way and turn things round for Saturday. No one is immune to mistakes and I am sure those made tonight will be recognised and acted on in the right way as Luggy is I reckon that kind of man."

The message was that someone got it wrong last night and that person was our manager. That does not colour what he has done before and not I believe what he will do going forward, ineed as with any top manager he will prob only be better for it. We all make mistakes and hopefully should then learn from them. Often mistakes are as a result of encountering new circumstances and one of the key issues last night was the handling of Moshni - I doubt even with his vast experience Luggy has had to deal with a fasting head case before. He will know what to do for the best now though.

If you read my message I am not calling him an idiot. Indeed, far from it. I end by stating:

"I do believe Luggy will react in the right way and turn things round for Saturday. No one is immune to mistakes and I am sure those made tonight will be recognised and acted on in the right way as Luggy is I reckon that kind of man."

The message was that someone got it wrong last night and that person was our manager. That does not colour what he has done before and not I believe what he will do going forward, ineed as with any top manager he will prob only be better for it. We all make mistakes and hopefully should then learn from them. Often mistakes are as a result of encountering new circumstances and one of the key issues last night was the handling of Moshni - I doubt even with his vast experience Luggy has had to deal with a fasting head case before. He will know what to do for the best now though.

I did read your message I just find it tiresome that we get threads like this when we lose. You've stated a list of opinions given as absolute facts. Had we done this we'd have been ok. The fact that your first suggestion for what we shoulda done was to put at rightback someone who has played most of his career as a centre-forward says to me that you'd be swapping out one set of mistakes for another.

We had people on here the other day suggesting a sweeper system and to park the bus. Now people want strikers at right back and an attacking midfielder in the team instead of a defensive-minded player. Everyone can be wise after the event.

Sometimes teams lose. It happens. It doesn't require a thorough post-mortem and accusations as to the daftness of the manager. Let's see if we bounce back on Saturday, first.

Sorry but I can't agree with that choice I'm afraid. If you were going to go down that route then surely we should have been putting Hall at LB and JJ out on the right wing. Hall has at least proved he can be a fairly competent deputee at LB, I certainly wouldn't fancy JJ playing there.

For my mind I agree Coughlan probably should have been replaced at half-time, however I think sticking Mohsni in as a straight swap would have actually been the best decision if Sturrock had no wish to move Hall.

I agree.

How putting a winger at left back would be better than replacing a centre half with another half centre half I have no idea. If he had done that and we had still lost people would have used that as the reason. Hall may be the better choice but at 1-0 down we needed our most creative player further up the pitch.

I did read your message I just find it tiresome that we get threads like this when we lose. You've stated a list of opinions given as absolute facts. Had we done this we'd have been ok. The fact that your first suggestion for what we shoulda done was to put at rightback someone who has played most of his career as a centre-forward says to me that you'd be swapping out one set of mistakes for another.

We had people on here the other day suggesting a sweeper system and to park the bus. Now people want strikers at right back and an attacking midfielder in the team instead of a defensive-minded player. Everyone can be wise after the event.

Sometimes teams lose. It happens. It doesn't require a thorough post-mortem and accusations as to the daftness of the manager. Let's see if we bounce back on Saturday, first.

Indeed. We lost to a team pipped to win the league, we won our other two, hardly warrants the doom and gloom on here just yet.

Back