• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Modern Art. Is it all toss?

• Total voters
I'm in for Battle of the Artists.

I'll take Edward Hopper, or David Hockney or maybe Gustav Klimt. Damn so many to choose from.

If Kandinsky wins it tho I'll go mental!

Goddamnit why didn't I think of Hopper?

Ok definatley one of...
Mark Rothko
Hieronymus Bosch
Andy Warhol
Jackson Pollock

unless i change my mind tonight.

Think there would be far too many choices for a Battle of the Artists.

If it's artists in general, torn between Constable, Turner, Brueghel, Manet, Matisse, Miro and Goya.

Make it Modern art and I'll go for Liechenstein

Don't you dare do an artist one from the middle of a thread! Grossly unfair! If you are then I'll call any of these (in order of preference, and if not already gone!):
Seurat; Van Gogh; Dali; Titian; Renoir - if you need more, let me know!

Modern art Napster, can only be Lichtenstein as the winner - by far and away the best!

I'd like to add the name of Britain's own Henry Moore to the mix as Sculpture hasn't represented here yet, and art isn't just paint on a canvas.
homepage3.jpg

And if I'm talking sculpture I have to mention Andy Goldsworthy.
sphere_goldswrthy.jpg

Last edited:
Good call with Degas, seany. I'm a sucker for the impressionists... undoubtedly, my nomination in Battle of the Artists would come from one of them - Monet, Manet, Renoir, van Gogh, Seurat (technically a pointillist rather than an impressionist, but let's not split hairs...).

I'd probably go for Renoir out of that lot...

:)

Good call with Degas, seany. I'm a sucker for the impressionists... undoubtedly, my nomination in Battle of the Artists would come from one of them - Monet, Manet, Renoir, van Gogh, Seurat (technically a pointillist rather than an impressionist, but let's not split hairs...).

Manet's At The Races is my favourite painting of all time - he captures the movement and colour with real flair.

Post impressionist in my book! Used pointillism as a means in my A level Art portfolio, love the effect. Agree though, about the whole group of Impressionists although I actually find Monet's work quite dull - I know it's clever, but it is just dull.

Hopefully I will get to see Anish Kapoor's 'Cloud Gate' while I'm in Chicago this coming week...
cloud-gate-grant-pk-chicago.jpg

steel_buildings_cloudgate.jpg

Hopefully I will get to see Anish Kapoor's 'Cloud Gate' while I'm in Chicago this coming week...
cloud-gate-grant-pk-chicago.jpg

steel_buildings_cloudgate.jpg

Ooooh I like that! his installation at the Tate turbine hall is still the best (in fact only) good use of that space to date.

Have you seen his designs for the installation in Middlesbrough? Looks kinda cool. But Newcastle will still have bragging rights as they did the 'big outdoor sculpture' first.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2008/jul/10/art

By the way mate, have fun if I don't see you beforehand!

Cheers mate, I'm sure it's going to be great.

As for the Turbine Hall, I liked Doris Salcedo's 'Shibboleth'
340x.jpg

Back