• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I also went to the previous mid seasons midweek match when the crowd was 14,000 ... it really irks me when the pundits go on about Newcastles "wonderful" support as the above proves it wasn't always the case

I always use that game , and the 12000 they got in for the visit of Cambridge , as illustrations of the "wonderful fans" falacy
(Compare that to Man City's attendances in the third teir)

I drove through the night for this one .. with SUFCEssex, Shrimptank and James Quinn IIRC (maybe Strutty was with us too ??) we hired a Renault 19, left at 3am and after the usual messing about all the way up there arrived at some greasy spoon around 9am before playing football in St. James' Park car park

I also went to the previous mid seasons midweek match when the crowd was 14,000 ... it really irks me when the pundits go on about Newcastles "wonderful" support as the above proves it wasn't always the case

indeed top day out. playing football in the car park at about 9am and a sunderland fan approaches us whilst out walking his dog wishing us the best and hoping we stuff the geordies. i'm sure his dogs name was b*****d as well.

indeed top day out. playing football in the car park at about 9am and a sunderland fan approaches us whilst out walking his dog wishing us the best and hoping we stuff the geordies. i'm sure his dogs name was b*****d as well.

Ah yes, i remember the mad Sunderland fan too ... i also remember the reason we were slightly delayed in leaving Benfleet :cool: ;)

Pretty sure you will find one onf the people kicked off the train for stripping to his pants was TMWLT but could be wrong.

Ah yes, i remember the mad Sunderland fan too ... i also remember the reason we were slightly delayed in leaving Benfleet :cool: ;)

so do i you dirty old git, although not so old at that time. women in benfleet in the early 90s just had no standards.

Following random points from this thread

Indeed I'm sure that TMWLT was one of the people that stripped off on the train along with Herman.

For the night game got in at 4.30 in the morning and bumped into the old man as he was leaving for work. He was n't overly impressed but I managed 2 hours kip before I went off to my newish job. Standing in the pouring rain, drenched to the skin no seat to sit on or a covered stand to sit in, the young pups of today don't know how molly coddled they are. Mind you glad I experienced it all but am now used to the modern day footy experience and its relative comforts.

In my opinion it is a complete fallacy that Newcastle fans are the most loyal and passionate blah! blah! blah! would put Sunderland fans ahead of them everytime.

Remember another game up at Man City where there were quite a few home fans in our end intimidating but no trouble.

Wasn't that Andy Thomson's first game and a contingent from Queen of the South came down to support us at St James's Park that day?

Following random points from this thread

Indeed I'm sure that TMWLT was one of the people that stripped off on the train along with Herman.

For the night game got in at 4.30 in the morning and bumped into the old man as he was leaving for work. He was n't overly impressed but I managed 2 hours kip before I went off to my newish job. Standing in the pouring rain, drenched to the skin no seat to sit on or a covered stand to sit in, the young pups of today don't know how molly coddled they are. Mind you glad I experienced it all but am now used to the modern day footy experience and its relative comforts.

In my opinion it is a complete fallacy that Newcastle fans are the most loyal and passionate blah! blah! blah! would put Sunderland fans ahead of them everytime.

Remember another game up at Man City where there were quite a few home fans in our end intimidating but no trouble.

I think its a complete joke that the North East is regarded as a hot bed of football. Never seen an area blow so hot and cold on its side. One minute all of them get great gates and then next empty spaces all over.

Wasn't that Andy Thomson's first game and a contingent from Queen of the South came down to support us at St James's Park that day?

Think your thinking of Barnsley away once.....Andy Thompson would have been about seven when this took place.....

I went to the game on the train from Nottingham(where I was staying at my brother's place).Had a few pints in the town centre before the kick off and was impressed by the amount of Newcasle shirts on display.Initially I was in the standing terrace on the side but decided to switch to the open away end as I thought my southern accent might be a bit of a giveaway.
AS you say it ****ed down in the second half particularly(fondly remember the chants of "Always look on the Bright side of Life" and there were a lot of Newcastle lads in our end trying it on.
I had to get the 1705 last train back toNottingham or risk staying in Newcastle overnight.I remember trying to explain this to a very unsympathetic WPC who told me to FO.
Fortunately I managed to bend the ear of a friendlier copper who let me out of the away end "at my own risk" and I just managed to get my train.
Good day out apart from the result.

Back