• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

63fe54f182063f9896bd1f461f3f703d.gif

93de16878d330815933b5fb49d474810.gif

Great away day. 2nd half performance the best in a long time. Looking forward to next week at Shrewsbury.
Whilst we are all delighted to bathe in the success and glory of yesterdays victory and I wouldn't want to dampen your enthusiasm in looking forwards to the Shrewsbury game, however, I would offer a word of caution and a warning about not being over confident for next Saturday. Shrewsbury are the ONLY team in League Two, not to have lost at home, having won 9 and drawn 3 and it should also be noted that they have only conceded a stingy 6 goals in those 12 matches.
Of course, if we could get a win, it would really underline our promotion credentials, personally, I think we would do we to get a point. I'm not being negative, just realistic about the task ahead of us. I don't believe it is going to be another 'walk in the park' like yesterday and I wouldn't underestimate Shrewsbury as a home force...................I'm sure Luggy won't either.

We are currently averaging 2.08 points per game. Continuation of that form would see us end the season on a cool 96 points.

96?? Nothing less than 100 points would be acceptable! Sturrock out!:hilarious:
100 points and 100 goals! As well as notching up our historical 500th away win yesterday, we also scored our 50th goal of the season. With the strike force that we have now assembled I think that a century by the end of the season is quite feasible

Having supported The Blues both home and away since 1947,not sure how many away games but its hundreds.That 2nd half display. yesterday was about the best ever

Now that my adrenaline levels have returned to normal, thought I'd offer my thoughts on the ganme. First of all, what a great game. Definitely up there in the most memorable games I've witnessed, and must be the first time I've seen us score 5 goals. Northampton played their part in it too. It was end-to-end and each time we equalised they came straight back at us. 1st half was close, don't think we deserved to be losing at the break even though we didn't play well. Their 1st goal was shambolic defending from us and the 2nd may have been offside and there may have been a handball in the build-up. Other than Berahinho (who looked quality) and the winger who took the free-kicks (2 of which were very close to going in) they lacked quality and even at 2-1 down at half-time I felt there were more goals to come and that we'd get something out of the game. Sturrock had obviously given them a bit of a rocket at half-time because they came out early and absoloutly battered Northampton until the penalty. Phillips missed a sitter of a header that you would have bet your house on him scoring and Benyon also had a good chance. As Sturrock said, you got the feeling it might not be our day but then the tide turned with the penalty. Another good penalty from Dicko and then super-sub Mohsni comes on and scores a beauty of a diving header. Then I think Northampton's heads dropped a bit and the 4th and 5th goals just rubbed it in. Great celebrations for all the 2nd half goals in front of the away end, Dickinson was going mental. I love moments like that. The bruises on my knees were worth it. Credit to PS for his substitutions too, made an impact. Overall a brilliant day and continues my record of never seeing us lose at Sixfields. That's now 3 wins and 2 draws I've seen. Ratings:

Morris 6 - Could be criticised for the 2 goals but made a couple of good saves in the 2nd half.

Clohessy 7 - Partly at fault for the 1st goal but otherwise his usual self. Attacked well with Hall in the 2nd half.

Phillips 7 - Solid defensively but missed a free header about 5 yards out in the 2nd half. Didn't matter in the end but it was probably the easiest out of all the goals he's scored this season.

Barker 6 - Struggled with the impressive and pacey Berahinho but did OK.

Gilbert 6 - Solid defensively but didn't get forward much.

Hall 8 - Tame 1st half but unstoppable in the 2nd half. Every single attack went through him, terrorised their left-back. Set-pieces were superb and how many assists is that now? He just knows where to put the ball. Any scouts watching might have been on the phone to their managers pretty quickly but he showed why we'd be stupid to let go of him.

Kalala 6 - Pretty quiet but did his job well.

Timlin 7 - Made some good tackles and interceptions, played a bit more defensively than usual but I like how he makes late runs to the edge of the area Lampard-esque.

Martin 7 - Much better than last week, our best player in the 1st half. Took his goal well. Promising.

Benyon 6 - That's 3 games now and he's not done much in any of them. Worked hard. Would be tempted to start Sampson at Shrewsbury.

Dickinson 7 - Game of 2 halves for him. 1st half he was poor but he sprung to life in the 2nd. 2 nice finishes for his goal and great celebrations.

Subs:
Mohsni 8 - What is there to say. Again he comes on to score 2 and win us the game. He's just got it. 2 brilliant, brave headers. :Worthy: Just keep him on the bench.

Sampson 7 - Put himself about, looked strong and great play for Dickinson's 2nd goal.

Gilbert 6 - Solid defensively but didn't get forward much.

I didn't go yesterday, so can't comment completely on this rating, but a 6 seems a bit harsh if he was solid defensively as that's his main job, he shouldn't be punished for not getting forward!!!

Just saying, as I do feel Gilbert seems to get some pretty unfair treatment on here (and that's not a dig at your rating, maybe there is more to it which is why you only gave 6).

I didn't go yesterday, so can't comment completely on this rating, but a 6 seems a bit harsh if he was solid defensively as that's his main job, he shouldn't be punished for not getting forward!!!

Just saying, as I do feel Gilbert seems to get some pretty unfair treatment on here (and that's not a dig at your rating, maybe there is more to it which is why you only gave 6).

I would say 6 is average, and in his write up he said he was ok so 6 is fair in this instance

10 Perfection
9 Outstanding
8 Very Good
7 Above Average
6 Average
5 Below Average
4 Poor
3 Very Poor

The problem with that marking scheme is that an excellent player will see their scores always regress to the mean (i.e. a 6). I think of it as:

10 - A once in a lifetime performance
9 - Absolutely excellent, a huge impact on the game and no mistakes
8 - A significant positive impact on the game
7 - A good game, had a positive impact with no significant errors
6 - A solid game, anything particularly positive was cancelled out
5 - Errors in their performance, which had an impact on the team
4 - Significant errors and nothing positive of note
3 - A disastrous performance
2 - Richie Foran
1 - Michael Ricketts

Whilst we are all delighted to bathe in the success and glory of yesterdays victory and I wouldn't want to dampen your enthusiasm in looking forwards to the Shrewsbury game, however, I would offer a word of caution and a warning about not being over confident for next Saturday. Shrewsbury are the ONLY team in League Two, not to have lost at home, having won 9 and drawn 3 and it should also be noted that they have only conceded a stingy 6 goals in those 12 matches.
Of course, if we could get a win, it would really underline our promotion credentials, personally, I think we would do we to get a point. I'm not being negative, just realistic about the task ahead of us. I don't believe it is going to be another 'walk in the park' like yesterday and I wouldn't underestimate Shrewsbury as a home force...................I'm sure Luggy won't either.

Totally agree with you Yogi. So far this season, we have failed to get a solitary point away from home, when playing promotion rivals (Swindon Crawley, Cheltenham). Next saturday will be a much tougher task. However, with 11 goals scored in our last 3 games, confidence should be sky high which hopefully will see a performance to match.

Fantastic game, immense second half performance from us, full of passion, desire and commitment, right in front of us. That half will live in my memory for many a day. What a difference a quality subs bench makes completely overpowered them in the last quarter of the game. Only concern is we still look hesitant at the back and likely to ship goals but if we can score 5 away from home don't suppose it matters as much.

Morris 7 - Stood rooted for first goal, excellent second half with some good saves
Clohessy 7 - Also stood and watched for first goal, great going forward and engine to continually get back
Phillips 7 - Again edged the skipper at centre half, also with added threat goal threat from set pieces
Barker 6.5 - Appeared to get caught on second goal, a bit shaky, lost a yard?, hope its just a fitness issue following injury
Gilbert 7 - Enjoyed himself, puffed his chest out and made sure had a solid game
Hall 9 - Immense, loads of assists again, continually set up chances and got his crosses in
Kalala 7 -Did we had to do, the dirty unfashionable stuff to allow others to shine
Timlin 7 - Good work rate tried to get in on the scoring towards the end, looked very comfortable
Martin 7 - Pleased for him, great goal and gives us good balance, sharper than last week
Benyon 6 - Needs to improve sharpness, shows signs but not quite their, think will lose place to Sampson next week
Dickinson 8 - Typical Southend, poor first half, immense second, when his tail is up, unplayable

Mohsni 8.5 - What a fantastic cameo, impact sub last 15 mins, tiring defense, is that his place?
Sampson 7.5 - Really liked him, up for it, pace, power, hope he starts next week

Well done Blues, suddenly with a few fresh legs, just as PS said we now are banging goals in again for fun. Just need to be a bit more positive at the back to eradicate the hesitancy that has crept in recently as we will have days when they don't go in. What a great advert for League 2 football though and Northampton certainly played their part in a great game, cannot see them finishing in the bottom two.

i would like to point out the fact of morris's save from that free kick just seen it on the OS highlights and my word being a keeper myself that was something special and bearing in mind the score at the time that was a crucial and an outstanding save ! yeah maybe the first goal he should have done better but we should be dealing with loong throws the second goal was not down to Morris at all a 1 on 1 the striker should score most the time morris done well to get a hand to it ( especially Berahino who looked very good, there best player by far) but that save kept us at 2 each, goal keeper dont get enough credit for what they do right but are critisced quick enough by everyone when they conceed a goal IMO but still a good all round performance the second half was UTB

Their second goal isn't even close to being onside. Alright, it hasn't cost us, but it easily could have done.
Offside.JPG

And another goal down our left hand side.

Anyone able to show how many goals have come from our left side, compared to the right/centre this season?

Just seems to me, most of the goals we ship are from this side.

Back