• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Sep. 01 2006,09:47)]What I can't get my head round is Tilly selling Gray to Yeovil, who took Harrold's starting place...

Then bringing Harrold to Roots Hall...

Doesn't make sense to me.
Yeah i thought the same!

Two words,

PANIC BUY

But why oh why have we got another thread on this?

How many threads do you want to slag off one player?
rock.gif
?

Get a grip TTK, Tilly has seen these players many more times than you have, I'm sure his judgement is better.

If you turn out to be right, would you be pleased? Sounds as if you want them to flop sometimes
rock.gif

the one positive thing to come out of this is having a front line that potentially reads:

Harrold Paynter

Sounds like Southend's getting all cultured on Those Championship mo-fo's!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Museshrimper @ Sep. 01 2006,09:59)]Get a grip TTK, Tilly has seen these players many more times than you have, I'm sure his judgement is better.

If you turn out to be right, would you be pleased? Sounds as if you want them to flop sometimes
rock.gif
Not at all!

If he proves me wrong then i'll gladly stand corrected, but this transfer is a strange one!

Harrold didn't cut it at Harlow Town. I feel Lawson should be given more of a chance thats all.

As it's been said on here, this Harrold was dropped in favour of Wayne Gray.

Yeovil fans are glad to see the back of Harrold, speaks volumes doesn't it. Bet they didn't say that about Jevons did they?

Yes i'd like to see Harrold do well for us, but i can't see him being up to the championship!

Dont write him off completely yet though, Tilly must see something in him. Let's give him a run of games first to prove himself - same with Paynter.

If there is any one pair with the ability to bring out the best in players then it's Tilly n Brush. Just because the Yoevil supporter base think he's pants and his goal scoring record wasn't exactly setting the coalfires burning that is no reason to suggest that he can't or wont do the business for us. Some players get on a whole lot better with a different manager, a manager with different man management techniques and a team spirit within the squad that is second to none. He'll come good I'm sure. Tilly knows what he's doing.

On the 'Wayne out / 'Harrold in' conundrum. We don't know what went on behind the scenes at Roots Hall concerning WG's contract negotiations. It may seem like a straight swap and therefore a waste of time but if WG was making absurd demands, demands the club couldn't acceed to, it makes more sense to have a striker that wants to be at the club and accepts the terms and conditions of the contract he's been offered than one that doesn't.

I have every faith in Tilly, Brush and Uncle Ron.
Can I suggest we put all our pre-conceived ideas about players abilities to one side until at least Christmas and let the players get on with what they do best........play football for our beloved Blues.
When Harrold takes to the pitch in a Blues shirt I'm sure, just like the rest, he'll give 100% and as such deserves all the support we can give him. Just like we do to the rest of the squad.

At least they had the good sense not to give him the number 23 shirt ( he will wear 24), a poor start could have led to 'your not fit to wear the shirt' type comments.

For the first time in a while we seem to have to potential 'whipping boys' in the squad, although I think people who post negatively on here never slate anyone at matches.

The person I feel sorry for is Eastwood in all this, teams stick two players on him in the knowledge that our other strikers won't be any bother.

We needed a 'name', if only to be marked and free up space. Goater's legs had gone but he needed marking and that helped Eastwood.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Sep. 01 2006,09:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Sep. 01 2006,09:47)]What I can't get my head round is Tilly selling Gray to Yeovil, who took Harrold's starting place...

Yeah i thought the same!

Two words,

PANIC BUY
This has to be one of the worst(and most disappointing) threads I have ever read on Shrimperzone!

How can he be a PANIC BUY when Tilly has been after him ALL SUMMER?!  Think about your answer before responding...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Sep. 01 2006,10:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Sep. 01 2006,09:49)]
[b said:

Yeah i thought the same!

Two words,

PANIC BUY
This has to be one of the worst(and most disappointing) threads I have ever read on Shrimperzone!

How can he be a PANIC BUY when Tilly has been after him ALL SUMMER?!  Think about your answer before responding...
Yes but he wasn't first choice was he, i believe he was someway down the pecking order in Tilly's plans.

Behind, Agogo, thats for sure!

If he was so in Tilly's plans, why wasn't he snapped up days or weeks ago, why leave it till near on midnight to sign him?

PANIC BUY

If Harrold does well for us, then i'll give credit where its due!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Sep. 01 2006,09:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Elvisisashrimper @ Sep. 01 2006,09:23)]Only time will tell but what we need is for one of the pack to really gel with Fred and hopefully have at least one of them as a decent replacement.
Realistically now the only striker likely to do that now is Ricketts
How do you work that out?!

What utter utter rubbish!  Paynter has started ONCE and Harrold has not even kicked a ball in an SUFC shirt yet !!

Nothing like giving players a chance eh?  

I am seeing a growing trend on SZ the last week or so that after losing a couple of games, the old moaners who believe they know more than a professional football manager are back in force.   That same professional football manager who has led SUFC through arguably the most successful two years in their history.  Lose next two games and we might as well call for Tilson out too!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Sep. 01 2006,10:38)]Yes but he wasn't first choice was he, i believe he was someway down the pecking order in Tilly's plans.
Bloody hell, can you read Tilly's mind now? You should change career if you can.

There have been rumours about Harrold for months, so obviously this rumour was with some substantial foundation.

How do you know we have not been bidding for Harrold for the last three months as well? Just because Rovers leaked information that we had been bidding for Agogo does not mean Yeovil would automatically as well !! (Rovers wanted to let other clubs know to increase the bidding stakes higher, which they successfully did by him going to Forest.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Sep. 01 2006,10:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Sep. 01 2006,09:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Elvisisashrimper @ Sep. 01 2006,09:23)]Only time will tell but what we need is for one of the pack to really gel with Fred and hopefully have at least one of them as a decent replacement.
Realistically now the only striker likely to do that now is Ricketts
How do you work that out?!

What utter utter rubbish!  Paynter has started ONCE and Harrold has not even kicked a ball in an SUFC shirt yet !!
Freddy needs someone to play off and IMHO it won't be Paynter - he has an extremely poor first touch most of the time and doesn't win a lot in the air - hardly ideal for Freddy is it!!!! People can say give Paynter a chance and yeah OK we should but as my Dad's mate's a Vale fan I've seen him 10-12 times already and thats more than enough to form an opinion on the player - and he's been exactly the same for us as he was for them so far.

Re Harrold yes OK maybe its harsh to say he won't strike up an understanding with Freddy....but I think 90% of people on here would very much doubt that he will and having seen him 5 or 6 times just before his move from Harlow I'm not gonna hold my breath on this one.

And for anyone who thinks I'm another wiggy or some other moaning arsewipe they might like to know that in the summer I praised every single one of Tilly's signings to the hilt on here, really impressed me. Everyone's entitled to their opinion on here and having seen both Paynter AND Harrold on numerous occasions before they signed I'm not optimistic at all........

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smudger @ Sep. 01 2006,09:29)]What a goalscoring record - looks like Broughtons......

The Yeovil fans are calling Russell Slade "a genius salesman" for getting money for him and saying he has looked completely out of his depth in League 1...........

sad.gif
That's harsh Smudger comparing a young forward to Broughton. What has he done to deserve those comparisons?

9 goals in 30 starts for Yeovil seems respectable enough. Certainly better than Drewe's 2 in 31 for us! I expect it is comparable to Wayne Gray's record, especially if you are to take away the spot-kicks.

For those of you writing off this deal already, I'd rather Tilson picked players on the basis of what he thinks they will do for us rather than what they previously did for someone else. He's not going to get every decision right, but unless he takes a few punts he's not going to make any good decisions. Nobody on here welcomed the signing of Mark Bentley (Tilly's first signing!), but he went onto be a key player in a double promotion winning team despite those who had seen him play proclaiming him to be rubbish.

Tilly's managerial mentor signed a number of duff players (Mario Walsh anyone?) but if you don't take the odd risk you aren't going to get the rough diamonds to polish. So let's try and get behind the kid rather than undermining his career from the start.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Sep. 01 2006,09:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smudger @ Sep. 01 2006,09:29)]What a goalscoring record - looks like Broughtons......

The Yeovil fans are calling Russell Slade "a genius salesman" for getting money for him and saying he has looked completely out of his depth in League 1...........

sad.gif
To be fair mate take it from my own personal experience he looked out of his depth at Harlow!!! And I gotta say for someone who's game isn't to try and get in behind defenders Harrold gave me a lot of work in those nights at Harlow in terms of raising my flag.
Given that he is only 22 now he must have been a teenager then. Not really a surprise he looked out of his depth.

Maybe, just maybe, he's improved since then?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Sep. 01 2006,09:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (statski77 @ Sep. 01 2006,09:45)]but lets give Paynter time to settle before completely writing him off
The same quote was said about Greame Jones!  
laugh.gif

Paynter to me looks like a Harrods version of donkey Greame Jones!
And Bradbury, and Eastwood. In fact we all thought Eastwood would be a backup to Rawle. Show's what we know.

[b said:

Well I saw both players in action for Yeovil only last week, in the Carling Cup game at St Mary's. I have to say I thought Matt Harrold played far better than Wayne Gray.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southampton Shrimper @ Sep. 01 2006,11:39)]
[b said:

Well I saw both players in action for Yeovil only last week, in the Carling Cup game at St Mary's. I have to say I thought Matt Harrold played far better than Wayne Gray.
Well that's encouraging at least.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Sep. 01 2006,09:45)]I feel for Lawson, he hasn't done anything wrong in my book and more than deserves his chance!  Nice to see someone progress as a youngster to the first team, only to not get a chance because £200k is splashed out on Paynter!

If i was Lawson, i'd ask for a transfer request and ply his trade elsewhere!  What else does he have to do to get a chance?  This is something i'd hate to see, but in reality it probably will.  The same happened to Kigthly, and looks how well he's done at Grays!
You obviously weren't at Bournemouth last week, then? Lawson got his chance then and just threw it away. As I said at the time, he couldn't make it against a reasonable League 1 side, so I can't seeing him doing anything in the Championship. Maybe a move to a club like Grays would be good for him, because I fear the Conference is about his level...

suspect.gif

Back