• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Sep. 01 2006,11:26)]In fact we all thought Eastwood would be a backup to Rawle.
Erm... I don't think so, Rawle had long gone by the time we signed Freddy......
rock.gif

Would have loved to have seen Tommy Mooney back down here. He scores goals wherever he goes and was the difference in the two sides when we lost out to oxford at their place not long ago. I know he must be a bit long in the tooth now but we could have got him on the cheap and he would have taken the burden of having to score all the poals up front off Freddy. His experience would have been invaluble as was the goats.

I wish that my desk wasn't so sturdy or I would be banging my head against it. What do people actually expect of Harrold?

Firstly, Wayne Gray was a player I liked and often defended BUT his pace was consistently nullified by defenders with any positional sense. Basically he was quick but not with someone else within ten yards. Pace and control is needed and I'd challenge anyone to say Gray had the close control to go with his pace. IMO he would be gobbled up by any of the defences we have played including Sunderland.

Why are people banging on about Harrold as though we have bought him to play next game up front with Freddy?? People are saying we are in teh Championship now. Well, taking Freddy as a given and assuming Bradbury's Premiership experience is sufficient, we have signed two strikers from Championship clubs who were presumably deemed good enough for the Championship by those clubs when they were signed. Surely Harrold has been brought in as a promising youngster and not as a first team regular??

Also, I think it has been mentioned, Lawson has had more of a chance than Paynter this season and has done no more. If anything, he should have done more against a Bournemouth defence that was leakier than a sponge. I'm all for us keeping him but you can't say he hasn't been given a chance.

And finally, why the hell is it being termed a panic buy? We're in a position in the league that we'd all happily take at the end of the season and have probably deserved more points than we have. What exactly is there to panic about?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Sep. 01 2006,09:09)]I think you have made many a fair point. At the moment our attack minus Freddy does look lightweight.

However I have every faith in Tilly. I was uninspired when we got Sodje and yet he has won me over 100x over.

If Tilly likes him that is more than good enough for me. I dont believe he has made a bad signing yet.

DtS  
Oo.gif
Not before Billy boy anyway!!

According to Tilson's (or was it Brush's??) comments on the os, we lack someone up front with height. True. In which case, if we were after a target-man then i'd rather see big Steve Fletcher brought in!
biggrin.gif
Wouldn't have cost as much thats for sure.  I reckon im gonna get slated for that comment! Anyway, good luck to Harrold and i'd like to welcome him to Southend.  Lets not get too judgemental too early on!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 01 2006,14:37)]I don't mind discussing someone's strengths but comparing someone to Broughton is the equivalent of downright abuse.

I think your stats are for goals/appearance, I much prefer working on goals/start. 5 or 10 minutes here and there is hardly much of an appearance.
Ok HKB, have it your way......

Broughton has 58 goals in 205 league STARTS (at 0.28 goals per game) and Harrold has 14 goals in 49 STARTS (at errrrrr....0.28 goals per game.)

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

It's nice to see the new boys getting so much support from the stands ...

rock.gif

Jesus! The way some of you are harping on, you would have thought that this was a forum for ex-professional footballers / out-of-work managers!! How on earth some of you can proudly proclaim that "so-and-so won't crack it at this level" or "he can't trap a ball" without actually seeing the player in action is ludicrous!! So do you really think that Steve Tilson and Paul Brush brought Matt Harrold to Roots Hall on hearsay?! I don't think so - I dare say they looked hard at the kid, making their own (far superior) judgements on him, before putting their money in (Ron Martin's) pockets! The way some of you are crucifying new players before they've had a chance to show their potential is disgusting and I'm quite glad sometimes that I'm no longer there! I trust Tilson and Brush; they brought us this far on limited means and they'll work bloody hard to keep us here - maybe even take us that step further (in my dreams)! The way some of you are writing off players, coaches and club after just FIVE League games is pathetic! Maybe Vic Jobson was right after all ...

They were tracking Harrold for 3 months, I think they would have changed their mind in that time if he wasn't any good.

Harrold is almost one of my favourite Southend players already, and I have no idea why, he just looks good
cool.gif

Back