• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell staying

His system probably involved utilizing a tall strong front man, Hopper or Humphreys, they have been unavailable for most of the season with no similar player in the squad.

A noble thing to say Spiff and I really mean that but sorry, no, I can't do that anymore, not with CP in charge. I'm done until he is gone.
Who benefits there though?

You lose out, the club loses out, and you will be part of the problem. Granted a very small part, but if 500 people act like this, our budget next season gets substantially smaller. The club relies on its fans.

Any new manager is still going to be faced with having to pick kids or pick formations based on fit players.

Yes but right now with the options we have available to us we can all pretty much guess now we’ll set up under CP and that hasn’t been getting results. A fresh voice in the dressing room might have his own thoughts on how we can set up with the players we have to choose from.

Yes but right now with the options we have available to us we can all pretty much guess now we’ll set up under CP and that hasn’t been getting results. A fresh voice in the dressing room might have his own thoughts on how we can set up with the players we have to choose from.
Can’t we stick turner up front he’s a donkey but can get in defenders way ?

Wow. Absolute legend on the pitch and I'll always remember him for that but this is such a poor decision. Ron may well have sealed our return to League Two.

He’s tried to do the right thing by his manager before and it’s to Ron’s great credit that having his fingers burned hasn’t changed his approach. Sometimes it will work and other times it won’t. Please god let it work this time. This season has been a cluster **** but if it ends with us no lower in the league than we are now then we can all breathe one almighty sigh of relief.

Ron’s clarified the position which ends a week of uncertainty and speculation. I be said on other threads that I think Powell’s number is up, but Martin has made his call and we now need to get behind Powell and the team. When are Humphrys or Hopper fit?[/QUOTE]

Ive heard from a source that Hopper and Coker wont be playing before Christmas.
Trouble is it might be in League Two

Some sense and reason from Ron Martin there. The thing that I am surprised about is just how many of our own fans think that the injury situation is somehow something to be ignored and that anyone else is suddenly going to turn our team into a winning one.

Don't dispute there are have been significant injuries but also don't think the team we've been able to put out of late is inferior to the opposition - it's tactics and morale that have failed us. Scunthorpe and AFC Wimbledon should have been 6 points and the reason that didn't happen wasn't injuries. Our signings in centre midfield have been crap and the reluctance to play Yearwood is baffling - yes, he's been off form, but no more than the rest of them.

I think a new manager would give a temporary bounce in form which is all we need to avoid the drop. If there's no improvement in a couple of games Ron will sack CP - my only concern is that Peterborough looks like a game that might be winnable given their recent run so I'd have done it now.

Surely when you become manager , the first thing you and your team do is tell the players the system you want to go with and stick to it.. I know, I know, we have a had a lot of injuries that would upset your original plan at times, but all teams have some.

It would be better to stick to a system that the players know is what you want from them than to change it week after week as that must surely baffle them all. Maybe the odd change to combat a certain opponents style of play at times but it is better to take the game to them and let them worry about us, rather than the other way round.

Spot on. This is exactly it.

Success is built around a team playing regularly in a system and style the manager wants them to and you just interchange the personnel if you need to.

I do hear the lack of a target man as possibly an issue, but even when we've had one available we've still dabbled with one up top and three centre-halves and if his game plan was to have a target man, why did we have McClumsy on loan and got rid of players like Fortune and latterly Robinson, who could still do a job in a squad.

Wow. Absolute legend on the pitch and I'll always remember him for that but this is such a poor decision. Ron may well have sealed our return to League Two.

There's time yet. Ron's managerial decisions are better than most and whilst there may be other factors (money) at play, these aren't factors that can be ignored. What would it cost to sack CP vs what would it cost to be relegated etc.

I ask this simple question.
Q. If Hopper (or Humphreys) had been available for partnering Cox would we, quick guess, be better off with results and points, or much better off?
I don't ask if we would be worse or the same as that would be too unlikely to warrant more that a second reflection on.
Most of our best players have signed on for CP.

I ask this simple question.
Q. If Hopper (or Humphreys) had been available for partnering Cox would we, quick guess, be better off with results and points, or much better off?
I don't ask if we would be worse or the same as that would be too unlikely to warrant more that a second reflection on.
Most of our best players have signed on for CP.
With them 3 up top we would of been 12 pts better off at least imo

would have been a better idea to pay for tickets for the game than coach travel as they take the mick Peterborough with their prices

The underlying reason for Martin's decision must be he simply cannot afford to pay up. He trots out the injuries alibi but there's probably a VAT bill looming and looking at Companies House info there's an unfair dismissal bill of nearly £19k to pay as well.
Not sure he needs an alibi!!

We now whatever our feelings have to get behind the team and hope that we get some luck.
Dont for one minute believe the reason behind the decision. Ron hasn't got the money to make a change.Only problem now is if we go down I will blame Ron....In the meantime I will now wait till I know our fate before deciding whether to renew my season ticket. Personally can't stand League 2 hoof football and would pick and choose odd games.

Ok Ron, you have made your decision! Probably based on financial reasons and the lack in your opinion of a suitable alternative.

I fundamentally disagree on every level but of course will do everything as a supporter to encourage the team for the final 8 games. Problem is nothing will change this downward spiral so that decision in high probability means League 2 football next season.

I do understand the difficulty....just about the worst possible time in the season to go on a run like ours....no time for the dreaded ‘vote of confidence’ followed by dismissal a few games later, as we are simply running out of games.

I see 2 further losses followed by Powell sacked in a fortnights time, by which time we will be bottom and probably require 10 points from last 6 games to stay up!!

I wonder if any of the players have relegation clauses in theit contract? I doubt Cox will fancy League 2 football.

Back