• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron provides another managerial update

All of this just proves that Ron Martin is not fit to run the club and needs to get a CEO in also ASAP

Uncle Ron does not have the financial muscle, that people think.He's a chancer, who only had his eyes on the property aspect.The chickens are coming home to roost.My thought for what its worth, I think Ron needs to either sell the club or have good financial assistance, eg to try to sell the club.We've had years of bluster and bull.With SUFC paying an exorbitant rent, this is the crossroads of the club surviving or not !!!

Uncle Ron does not have the financial muscle, that people think.He's a chancer, who only had his eyes on the property aspect.The chickens are coming home to roost.My thought for what its worth, I think Ron needs to either sell the club or have good financial assistance, eg to try to sell the club.We've had years of bluster and bull.With SUFC paying an exorbitant rent, this is the crossroads of the club surviving or not !!!

As far as I'm aware, we don't pay rent.

Do we pay "paper rent" from the books of the club to the books of another RM company and it shows as debt, then Ron forgoes the debt BUT as it prevents the unlikely worry of paying tax on trading profits it is a loophole that would be useful if we ever sold a player for £1mill +?
Just the VAT to concentrate on!

Do we pay "paper rent" from the books of the club to the books of another RM company and it shows as debt, then Ron forgoes the debt BUT as it prevents the unlikely worry of paying tax on trading profits it is a loophole that would be useful if we ever sold a player for £1mill +?
Just the VAT to concentrate on!

I'm not sure he foregoes it, just leaves it outstanding and doesn't collect it. It also makes him the no 1 creditor in the event of a disaster.

Should Ron want to be nasty,He could demand SUFC pay back rent.With very few assets within the club,SUFC could go into administration without a ground ! Then we are up the creek without a paddle. Presumably Ron's companies can borrow against monies owed.

. Been told that 2 players that have quite a bit of "player power" are making the speculation.
I've actually had quite an in depth update of what a certain player thinks the issues are and it doesn't surprise me at all. Certain players having too much of a say, we need strong leadership.

Interesting comment 'Ricky Otto'. I've heard the same name being mentioned several times re 'player power'.
However if that is the case, then lets hope our new manager ( who-ever it is ) nips it in the bud quickly.

Should Ron want to be nasty,He could demand SUFC pay back rent.With very few assets within the club,SUFC could go into administration without a ground ! Then we are up the creek without a paddle. Presumably Ron's companies can borrow against monies owed.

No...., not against a single debtor

The Russians who bought Bournemouth had a look at us. The thing against us was the 1000's of fans heading off to London every weekend.

At a guess from our area (not including as far as Basildon) could there be 10,000+ PL regulars ?
I do wonder how many who are PL ‘fans’ who don’t go to games might be tempted to watch Southend if we were doing better. I hear a lot of West Ham/Spurs fans claiming a “soft spot” for their local team though it doesn’t extend to watching us play. Many would struggle to name any of our players. I think if we were in a new stadium and challenging for the play offs we might have a few more through the door. Perhaps.

So the day passes with no announcement... as I stated I was told yesterday that today was the day. However, one of my many sources that said the same thing has tonight said there's still been no decision made. Something has clearly happened which resulted in the updates being taken down from the official site and has delayed the decision further.

As alluded to by someone else, this to me would indicate that the timing of Harris leaving Millwall has stuck a spanner in the works in some way or another.

What now?

It does indicate to me that it isn't Larsson who would have been appointed, as the Millwall business wouldn't make any difference whatsoever. I'm therefore guessing that the Barrett/Tilly combo would have got the job and Ron is now either waiting to see when AB becomes available or is looking elsewhere.

In all honesty I don't think it will make a huge difference. We are already a long way behind and we are 5 points off safety, perhaps 10 points from mid table comfort. If the thought is that the right man/men can turn this around, then there's tons of time to make that gap up as the teams at the bottom will not all be picking up points (which is why they are near the bottom!). We are better off with Waddock than we are were with Bond so if we have to wait another week or two then I'd rather that, especially if it meant getting the right man in instead of just rushing to appoint anyone.

We can only speculate. I would rather wait a day or two longer, so that the right appointment is made. There is no instant solution to our problems. The legacy that Mr Bond left us with.

We can only speculate. I would rather wait a day or two longer, so that the right appointment is made. There is no instant solution to our problems. The legacy that Mr Bond left us with.

If Adam Barrett is the number one target, he could resign from his Millwall caretaker role to secure the job at Southend. But I guess he would need some firm assurances from the Chairman for that to happen.

The danger for the Chairman is that if Millwall do not quickly appoint a successor to Neil Harris, and Millwall keep performing well, Southend could drift with a diminishing prospect of getting Barrett as manager.

My sense is that the Chairman is in no mood to wait very long.

Last edited:
CP with his legendary status, KB with his 'arry mojo and GW with his, er..., his um... whatever. Three managers, all different, and not one of them could get this team to perform. Whoever is appointed will likely be drinking from the same poisoned chalice as his predecessors. This team needs to lose the rank, rotten tissue, way more than it needs a new manager.

They would be off in a flash on ANY job, think that's a bit of an exaggeration!!

Regarding Norwich and Tilson, I think it's been mentioned a number of times that he regrets not taking the chance, so you really think Barrett would turn down something similar.

Yeah i do. Naive perhaps but just how many adam barretts do we have left? Didnt work for powell but then he had already moved on as a player and became a legend with other clubs. Barrett is a southend legend. And i imagine when he looks back on his playing career those few glorious seasons we had will mean the most.

If this club hadnt been run so poorly with non payment of wages and managers who get upset at someones comments i dare say barrett would have stayed here till the end.

Obviously if he succeeded and man city came calling but lets be realistic. Thats never gonna happen. I dont think its that unrealistic to think that Barrett might stick around to help build something here

For me the main stumbling block of him returning is that he knows rons business practices and lack of financial clout. And im sure like many of us we love roots hall with a passion but in reality its falling apart and a relic in terms of progression. So he wont be sold on rons usual BS

Last edited:
Any chance we can appoint someone soon?

Been over a month now, ridiculous

Yeah i do. Naive perhaps but just how many adam barretts do we have left? Didnt work for powell but then he had already moved on as a player and became a legend with other clubs. Barrett is a southend legend. And i imagine when he looks back on his playing career those few glorious seasons we had will mean the most.

If this club hadnt been run so poorly with non payment of wages and managers who get upset at someones comments i dare say barrett would have stayed here till the end.

Obviously if he succeeded and man city came calling but lets be realistic. Thats never gonna happen. I dont think its that unrealistic to think that Barrett might stick around to help build something here

For me the main stumbling block of him returning is that he knows rons business practices and lack of financial clout. And im sure like many of us we love roots hall with a passion but in reality its falling apart and a relic in terms of progression. So he wont be sold on rons usual BS

I'm sorry, he wouldn't - if anyone had a chance to better themselves, and earn more money, they would take it. Look at the Cowleys; they said they wouldn't leave Lincoln as they love it there, but even they got tempted in the end!!

Anthony Grant stayed, so why didn't Barrett?

I do wonder how many who are PL ‘fans’ who don’t go to games might be tempted to watch Southend if we were doing better. I hear a lot of West Ham/Spurs fans claiming a “soft spot” for their local team though it doesn’t extend to watching us play. Many would struggle to name any of our players. I think if we were in a new stadium and challenging for the play offs we might have a few more through the door. Perhaps.

We have catchment of 750k within 20 miles radius, so the potential is bigger than the like of Bournemouth, Wigan, Swindon etc

We have over 32k at Wembley for Play Off Vs Wycombe (they bought 13k fans out of 48k fans)

Back