• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Having watched the highlights, it does look like the ball bobbled just before Evans got his hand to it.

Evans spread himself well expecting a proper shot to come at him, but with a combination of scuff and bobble it went over him.

whats the reckoning that results and performances wouldnt change one bit if there was no negative responce from the crowd, also interested to see that evans is telapathic by letting in a couple of howlers on the back of receiving some negative remarks later on in the game

I've been at many matches, mainly non-SUFC games where a keeper has made a mess up and been on the end of ironic cheers from his own fans the next time he touches the ball. Fair enough, thats the fans telling him he's made a mistake, but it should stop there. If you made a mess up anywhere in life and someone told you that you had screwed up then you'd probably accept it. If they told you again and again and again, you'd hit them.

Everyone makes mistakes, everyone has a bad day at work every now and then, but if they try their hardest then thats all their boss can ask of them. In Evans and B Sturrocks case, if they keep under performing then it's only the manager who can be blamed for keeping playing them. I would expect Morris to play saturday, and IMHO BS has been pretty decent this season, although he does have an occasional shocker.

See.... how can we not relate to Easton, such a passionate bloke, lets get behind our boys!
It would be nice for people to go up to TBV section and sing and stand the whole game tomorrow, we've done it before.

COME ON LADS do the right thing!!!!

EDIT - It would be great if those who go to away games and sing (which is appreciated by PS and the squad) would go and stand with TBV; 1. It makes the game more enjoyable 2. It cheers them on. In the words of Paul Sturrock 'IT'S A NO BRAINER LADS'

Last edited:
See.... how can we not relate to Easton, such a passionate bloke, lets get behind our boys!
It would be nice for people to go up to TBV section and sing and stand the whole game tomorrow, we've done it before.

COME ON LADS do the right thing!!!!

EDIT - It would be great if those who go to away games and sing (which is appreciated by PS and the squad) would go and stand with TBV; 1. It makes the game more enjoyable 2. It cheers them on. In the words of Paul Sturrock 'IT'S A NO BRAINER LADS'

It sounded to me that the "f****** useless" chants were coming from TBV - or very near to it at any rate. I'm at the other end of the stand so it's difficult to tell. Apologies to them if I'm wrong. It was however that section that chanted "Darryl Flahavan" when Mildenhall was in goal in the Orient JPT match a couple of seasons ago which I found completely embarrassing and totally infuriated me as a supporter. I believe TrueBlue said afterwards something like "it was a bit over the top but quite funny". As we all know, later on there was a chant that was pro-Mildenhall song which he found good and applauded ("He used to be sh*te, but now he's alright") and that was taken all in good humour.

But the thing is, that whilst we all despair at a misplaced pass or lack of control, individual cries of "Soares you idiot" or "For God's sake Gilbert" (or far worse) won't have any bad effect on a player. It's expected and they know they've made a mistake. Mass chanting and jeering against a player or the team only spurs on the opposition and gives them the advantage.

As PS says - boos and jeers should be left until the final whistle, when it is expected if the team has been rubbish. If it goes on during the game it becomes almost self fulfilling unless the team scores early on. We jeer, the team play worse, we boo harder, the team play worse, we lose. We become the 12th man for the visitors.

Block W is without question the most passionate area of Roots Hall.

9 times out of 10 this results in positive and sometimes down right loud support.

1 time out of 10 this can result in a bit of negative stuff.

What is needed is more numbers in there. We was rammed a couple of seasons back and started to really generate some decent noise. But now, we are left with a hardy 100 or so who are trying their best, with little support from those in the vicinity. It would be nice to see more of V, U, T, S etc joining in. I know you can hear the chanting down the other end, as I have been down there many times this season to check if the noise is travelling...If these blocks joined in then the South and East would respond I am sure. It's a domino effect. Except we are missing a few domino's in the middle.

Give it a go eh?

Now is the time for leaders in the crowd. So stand up, take a deep breath and get a chant going. You will be surprised at how many will join in with you. It just need's some people with a carefree attitude to get it going in the respective Blocks.

If people are serious about taking some leadership in the stands. Then let's see a commitment on here. Stop whinging and do something about it. Show you have some nuts.... Put your name and Block down on the list below. Let's see if we can get at least 2 in each Block at RH. If we can't then there lies the problem. Block W will continue to lead from the front. It's high time the rest of you miserable lot done the same. If not, then the Block W mob are going to have to take some drastic action...

Smiffy, Block W.

Last edited:
If people are serious about taking some leadership in the stands. Then let's see a commitment on here. Stop whinging and do something about it. Show you have some nuts.... Put your name and Block down on the list below. Let's see if we can get at least 2 in each Block at RH. If we can't then there lies the problem. Block W will continue to lead from the front. It's high time the rest of you miserable lot done the same. If not, then the Block W mob are going to have to take some drastic action...

Smiffy, Block W.
Onion_Bag_Dave, Block V, but sometimes Block W.

Always try and get it going but I become disheartened when looking around at the cardboard cut outs that occupy the stands!
Here's to more effort from everyone!

SEA SEA SEA SIDERS!

Surely though, of all the players on the pitch it's not a good idea to ridicule your own goalkeeper? It just seems so counter-productive.

Makes 2 mistakes ....... gets booed ....... makes some saves.

Perhaps the booing should have started earlier?

Seriously though, if a professional sportsman allows a small percentage of the crowd to affect his performance, maybe he's in the wrong job.

Similarly if they play better because someone is banging a drum (which I personally don't think makes an iota of a difference) they shouldn't; they should put in maximum effort anyway. Footballers are lucky to be earning a living by playing a game (some of ours are very lucky!) and should not need incentivising to put in maximum effort.

Seriously though, if a professional sportsman allows a small percentage of the crowd to affect his performance, maybe he's in the wrong job.

Doesnt happen in snooker. Or chess. Or tennis. Doesnt really happen in rugby. Or cricket. Or most sports.

I would argue that it's only football fans that feel the need to shout criticisms because it's a sport which frankly anyone can play, if only they'd been given a chance (like Marlon Brando, they could have been a contender).

Well then, those of you that have been booing our own this season, congratulations. You are the reason our home record is much worse than our away record. The abuse being given to Sturrock is bang out of order, similar to Paynter and Revell actually.

Either pipe down or **** off, because the problem is YOU!

Well then, those of you that have been booing our own this season, congratulations. You are the reason our home record is much worse than our away record. The abuse being given to Sturrock is bang out of order, similar to Paynter and Revell actually.

Either pipe down or **** off, because the problem is YOU!

Not sure why people keep saying this? Do people even bother to check the facts before jumping on the bandwagon?

Played at home -

W - 5 D - 2 L - 6

Played away -

W - 5 D - 4 L - 6

Also worth noting that we've played 2 away games more than home.

Not sure why people keep saying this? Do people even bother to check the facts before jumping on the bandwagon?

Played at home -

W - 5 D - 2 L - 6

Played away -

W - 5 D - 4 L - 6

Also worth noting that we've played 2 away games more than home.

I think the point is that our home form fares pretty much the same as our away form, we just can't turn Roots Hall into a fortress where teams are scared to play, they know just to sit back for 60 minutes and then eventually the crowd will turn on them.

Makes 2 mistakes ....... gets booed ....... makes some saves.

Perhaps the booing should have started earlier?

Similarly if they play better because someone is banging a drum (which I personally don't think makes an iota of a difference) they shouldn't; they should put in maximum effort anyway. Footballers are lucky to be earning a living by playing a game (some of ours are very lucky!) and should not need incentivising to put in maximum effort.

Well I've found that the players who have received the most stick from our fans have tended to be the ones who have put in maximum effort (Harrold, Revell, Sturrock, etc) so I don't think it's about incentivising them towards maximum effort.

I'm not too keen on players taking abuse from the terraces generally but when it comes to goalkeepers surely it's just stupid to abuse them. Whether a goalkeeper is playing well or not, whether he's trying his best or not, whether he's any good or not, surely having a hundred blokes behind him yelling abuse and telling him how **** he is is only going to destroy his confidence and ruin his concentration (which are arguably the two attributes that goalkeepers need the most). It just seems so counter-productive.

:tumbleweed:

1. Smiffy, Block W.
2. Onion_Bag_Dave, Block V, but sometimes Block W.

:tumbleweed:

1. Smiffy, Block W.
2. Onion_Bag_Dave, Block V, but sometimes Block W.

Not every Southend supporter at Roots Hall visits Shrimperzone I am sure.

Anyone know if the Shrimpers Trust are doing anything? it is obvious a big issue. After the game everyone was commenting about on here, Sturrock mentions it in the Echo and then Easton mentions it and sticks ups for his team mates in his blog.
This is crying out for a co ordinated effort from all three stands. I can do nothing but applaud the hard work that the main players of TBV do but it is obvious more is needed.
FWIW I think the Trust should be assisting. This has been a problem at Roots Hall for quite a while now and can quite easily get worse.

Anyone know if the Shrimpers Trust are doing anything? it is obvious a big issue. After the game everyone was commenting about on here, Sturrock mentions it in the Echo and then Easton mentions it and sticks ups for his team mates in his blog.
This is crying out for a co ordinated effort from all three stands. I can do nothing but applaud the hard work that the main players of TBV do but it is obvious more is needed.
FWIW I think the Trust should be assisting. This has been a problem at Roots Hall for quite a while now and can quite easily get worse.

Why would the Trust do anything? They're too busy facing accusations of climbing into bed with the Devil incarnate.

Back