• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Missed Barry Corr last night we need to try and get someone in like that and someone with a bit of pace. If we're going to play it long then Harris is going to be totally ineffectual. If we had played like Bradford did last night- quick passes, lots of crosses- we might have won the game. I was perhaps a bit harsh on Dicko and Harris last night as to be fair the service was non existent. Only when Sawyer came on did someone try and keep the ball on the floor and drive into the box. If Lee doesnt get a run out after last night he may as well not bother turning up for training.

How the hell do some of those players keep their place in the team. Ferdinand has been pants for weeks now and Gilbert is dire he makes Che Wilson look like a world beater. What have Sawyer and Grant got to do to get a start the only time the match came to life was when we got a bit of creativity on the pitch. Teams have sussed Hall now mark him out of the game and we have no other outlet at all too many defensive players on the pitch we were playing a team at the bottom of the league and we gave them far too much respect. :angry:

This is why I would advocate moving Hall up top for a few games. It'll be harder for the opposition to mark him out of the game if he's playing through the middle and he would also give us a bit of pace up there and maybe get in behind defences. Of course the downside is we'll miss his delivery but when the opposition is marking him out of the game out wide anyway then the benefits outweigh the drawbacks IMHO (and besides he'll still take the dead balls). Of course that would probably mean we'd still have to suffer Leonard down the right if Hall went up front with Dickinson but it would also leave room down the left for Sawyer to be given a run of games.

One other point, Grant MUST start in place of Kane who has been utter toilet for weeks now.....

Have we now hit the bottom of the barrel, a 0-1 reverse at home to a team, one place above relegation, that had not won away and shockingly appeared to still have more confidence than us. Surely we have hit the bottom, unless we ship 5 at Aldershot who average 1.2 goals per game. Yesterday I saw players not wanting the ball, running ahead aimlessly awaiting the hoof, not wanting to accept the short pass and when players got the ball, even in space get rid as soon as possible. I was just getting accustomed to the disappointment of a point when the scrappy winner went in.

Daniels 6 - Good save in first half from free kick, collected the ball in the air without fuss
Clohessy 6 - One of the better performers, crosses were not up to par though
Phillips 5.5 - 100% performance, clearly hampered by injury
Prosser 5.5 - Thought was neat and tidy, lacking a bit in physical presence
Gilbert 4.5 - Defends well but back to last season, hoofing to the byline
Hall 6 - Marked out of it, tried but always moving on to his left getting a bit predictable, corners were poor
Ferdinand 5 - Must have sore neck, never got into it, wonder how many times touched the ball
Timlin 5.5 - Only saw the ball after substitutions, when played a bit on the floor
Leonard 5.5 - Ineffective on the left, very much a confidence player, not one to dig us out of a trench
Harris 5.5 - Has not got the legs or height for this type of football
Dickinson 5.5 - No service and very much a streaky player who is suffering at moment. Slumped on the floor at the end and you could sense his frustration, it appeared to hurt

Grant 6.5 - MOTM Ditto Cheltenham, some fire and point to prove
Sawyer 6 - Also like Grant should be given a start at Aldershot, heading not his forte though, but drives forward with the ball looking to create for others

So if before yesterday a poor Bradford side at home was what we needed, let's now hope an unprolific Aldershot away, with less expectancy and a ten day break is what is now needed.

Agree with most posts on here, absolutely dire. Have seen the goal replayed on TV since and woeful defending, Phillips should perhaps have cleared it but Prosser let the goal scorer have a free run, however overall Prosser was average which by his standards is a plus. I am a big fan of Sawyer and cannot understand why he is not getting a look in, remember Prosser was played wide midfield vSwindon ahead of Lee (very strange!!)
I think Gilbert has yet to show me he is anything like a good player, his touch so bad, the old cliche is his second touch is a tackle, that is why he nearly always has to hoof it, he looks so uncomfortable on the ball, he gets it in space but by the time he controls the ball he is under pressure.
I think we need to nurture Bilel because I feel he is one of the only bright sparks in this squad and if people believe he should go then maybe they will be happy to watch a team of Gilberts running around aimlessly hoofing the ball into the stands at regular intervals.
That said lets hope that last night might mean Sawyer and Grant get a chance at Aldersh*t and the scramble to get rid of Bilel will stop and he is given another last chance.
UTB

Agree with most posts on here, absolutely dire. Have seen the goal replayed on TV since and woeful defending, Phillips should perhaps have cleared it but Prosser let the goal scorer have a free run, however overall Prosser was average which by his standards is a plus. I am a big fan of Sawyer and cannot understand why he is not getting a look in, remember Prosser was played wide midfield vSwindon ahead of Lee (very strange!!)
I think Gilbert has yet to show me he is anything like a good player, his touch so bad, the old cliche is his second touch is a tackle, that is why he nearly always has to hoof it, he looks so uncomfortable on the ball, he gets it in space but by the time he controls the ball he is under pressure.
I think we need to nurture Bilel because I feel he is one of the only bright sparks in this squad and if people believe he should go then maybe they will be happy to watch a team of Gilberts running around aimlessly hoofing the ball into the stands at regular intervals.
That said lets hope that last night might mean Sawyer and Grant get a chance at Aldersh*t and the scramble to get rid of Bilel will stop and he is given another last chance.
UTB

Grant and Sawyer were both Tilson acquisitions were they not? Maybe explains why Sturrock is reluctant to play two of our more exiting players,

UTB
It sounded to me, from the commentary, that Phillips was struggling with an injury and perhaps shouldn't have been on the pitch.................Coughlan was available on the bench.

Grant and Sawyer were both Tilson acquisitions were they not? Maybe explains why Sturrock is reluctant to play two of our more exiting players,
Think that's slightly unfair on Grant, he was playing a lot last season, it's only the fact Timlin is one of our best players and Ferdinand inexplicably being loved by a lot of people that's kept him out, Kalala also had a good spell until a month ago. We could play him on the wing, but he's looked rubbish every time we've done that. Sawyer on the other hand is clearly not a sturrock favorite, which is a shame because I think we need him more than Grant right now.

It sounded to me, from the commentary, that Phillips was struggling with an injury and perhaps shouldn't have been on the pitch.................Coughlan was available on the bench.
Coughlan was set to come on but went back to the bench at the last moment, I don't know whether Phillips said he didn't want to come off or something

I would echo most of what's said in this thread, our style of play doesn't allow us to see the best of Ferdinand, Timlin, Sawyer, Harris and Dickinson. I feel sorry for Harris because he is being asked to chase aimless balls into corners and spend half his time craning his neck to the skies; totally limits his influence on the game IMO. Finally I'm beginning to get annoyed at Sturrock's treatment of Sawyer. Giving the poor lad a 20 minute stint on the left wing is frankly taking the **** out of him to accomodate others, I feel Sturrock is digging his heels in on this issue for fear of being proved wrong; if so grow up and get on with it before the fans start turning.

Wiggy. Tilson did bring in Sawyer twice. Sturrock brought him in the third time so really he is a Luggy acquisition.

Yesterday doesn't seem to bad now after both Cheltenham and Crawley drop points.
"Yesterday doesn't seem so bad now !!!!!!!!! Did you go to the game? I did, and I dont think I can ever forget it. Hoof Hoof Hoof and again Hoof. And wot some keep forgetting its bin like that most of the season. If we had had 10% of the luck in our last championship season like we have had in games this season IMHO we would not have been relegated. I know we are in a promotion place and went allthose games unbeaten. But come on be truthfull to yourselves how many of those games have we bin awfull and got away with it.
I have been watching the blues since the days of Peter Goy, John Neil, Tony Bentley ect and have seen some great players and some poor ones. But Peter Gilbert must be the poorest player in our team since Gorden Connelly. UTB

Back