• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"Yesterday doesn't seem so bad now !!!!!!!!! Did you go to the game? I did, and I dont think I can ever forget it. Hoof Hoof Hoof and again Hoof. And wot some keep forgetting its bin like that most of the season. If we had had 10% of the luck in our last championship season like we have had in games this season IMHO we would not have been relegated. I know we are in a promotion place and went allthose games unbeaten. But come on be truthfull to yourselves how many of those games have we bin awfull and got away with it.
I have been watching the blues since the days of Peter Goy, John Neil, Tony Bentley ect and have seen some great players and some poor ones. But Peter Gilbert must be the poorest player in our team since Gorden Connelly. UTB

Agreed with all that.

Yes a very very poor performance against Bradford. After the first 20 mins Bradford realized that we weren't 'up for it' and Parky sensed a chance to earn a well earned point. By the end of the 1st half Parky would have been peeed off they weren't 3 or 4 up as we were shocking especially at the back. Prosser was pretty exposed at CB and although Gilbert's quite rightly getting some stick for his 2nd half showing he had a couple of important blocks in the 1st half.

We've really got to stop playing hoofball against teams with height. It just ain't working and Leonard's long throws last night all were comfortably cleared by their defence. Hall is being marked out of games and we urgently need pace up front. What's the point of Dicko flicking the ball on for Harris, when Harris cannot keep up with the action.

Certainly shades of the Burton Albion game earlier in the season. I've not witnessed us lose in such a manner on a Friday since we were beaten in Dec 1999 by Barnet and we even scored in that game.

We've really got to stop playing hoofball against teams with height.
Seems as if a lot of people are starting to think along these lines and question the tactics which although not pretty have obviously worked well so far this season. Although, some of the more negative amongst us might go further and say you didn't need the last 4 words in that sentence.

The last game I went to was Crewe away as I've been at uni so I can't say much but do you hear Stoke fans complaining about the way their side play football? We got to the top of the league playing the way we are, it won't win us every game but it will win us a lot. Sturrock knows what he's doing. Sounds like we were unlucky in the 2 games against Oldham and I imagine the players were still feeling down from the disappointment of not playing Liverpool on Friday. Have some perspective people.

I think that what Mick is getting at is the fact there are 24 teams in this league, 22 of whom are below us . How could they all win when most of them are playing each other:unsure:

I know. Obviously I was talking about the teams directly below us. I'll make sure I'm clearer next time!

The last game I went to was Crewe away as I've been at uni so I can't say much but do you hear Stoke fans complaining about the way their side play football? We got to the top of the league playing the way we are, it won't win us every game but it will win us a lot. Sturrock knows what he's doing. Sounds like we were unlucky in the 2 games against Oldham and I imagine the players were still feeling down from the disappointment of not playing Liverpool on Friday. Have some perspective people.

There is no comparison between us and Stoke im afraid. They play a lot of direct balls to their players. We play a lot of blast it in the sky without aim. I do wonder if we practice any short passing and close control in training as we seem to struggle with the basics.

It wasn't Gilbert who was invisible, it was the people he was passing to.....

I think this is part of the problem. Gilbert probably could play a short ball more often if some one shows for it. (I only say probably. because I'm not sure he could) but when he looks up (if he does) every one is running away from him. Then it becomes a hopefeull( or hopeless)hoof. I siad in an earlier post I wanted Bristol to score because if we had scrapped a 1-0 win then Sturrock would think ' Yeah this is working, I'll carry on with it'. I hope now he starts to at least try to play football. (though i fear he will not) I will not stop going but if we continue with these tattics much longer , then win lose or draw I will stop at home.

I do think some of the stick Gilbert is getting on here is a bit harsh, yes he was rubbish in the second half, but most of the players were rubbish all game - players were struggling to pass to their own team mates 5 yards anyway!!!

Also, how does Hall keep getting such reasonable marks from everyone, he was shocking on Friday, hardly passes to anyone anymore, more interested in running across the area and shooting, and he loses the ball far too much. This is where he may have been found out, because if I have noticed it, then I'm sure other teams have, which is why they can double up on him (whereas this really shouldn't cause an issue as it opens space for others, if you pass the thing that is).

In terms of the hoof ball, the defence are told to clear in upfield and then we play football in the opposition end, not ours, the problem on Friday was the balls weren't aimed at anyone and therefore we're not holding onto it, so it comes straight back and away we go again. When we did try and get it down, which I mentioned above, we couldn't find a team mate!!!

Sorry rant over :smile:

I would normally feel exactly the same. But tonight was different we were absolute Dog **** and i wanted us to lose as there was no way on earth, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter that we deserved to get a point let and a 0-1. Will always support and love my club but the players didnt show any love to us tonight.

Intelligent. So if we fail to go up by one point you'll be pleased.

Grant and Sawyer were both Tilson acquisitions were they not? Maybe explains why Sturrock is reluctant to play two of our more exiting players,

Do you know something we don't ?

Intelligent. So if we fail to go up by one point you'll be pleased.

If we hoof it with no plan , no idea and keep playing that bad we will lose by a lot more than 1 point. If we lose now and PS can see that Southend supporters are not happy with the style of play AND it is not working. He might , just might change it now rather than later. Which is why I also wanted Bristol to score.
If it forces PS hand, then 1 loss is worth it. I and others don't want to lose because we dont care. We care a lot and we can see we need to change quick.

Back