• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Kings Lynn

Their manager got the red and he was not very happy about it. Reckons he flicked a gel pack at the 4th Official.
That is an understatement, he had a paddy stomping temper and flung a few water bottles about, giving the 4th official #Craig3 an early shower.

Going to watch Basildon United away at Witham Town this afternoon......big 6 pointer game

Have to mention that it was great to be back under the lights on a Friday night.

Something is building here, a real pre-game buzz around the pubs which were rammed, the Fish House queue was down Victoria Avenue nearly to the entrance to St Mary's at one point, was told 30 minutes for a bag of chips, they couldn't cook them quick enough to keep up!

Then going one down but coming back to win the way we did...

Yes, the penalty wasn't but the handball that wasn't given just before certainly was, they say things even themselves out, last night we got a bit back.

Support was awesome again, clubs used to playing in front of a thousand or two really won't like coming here with that sort of vocal support so close to the pitch...

Agree 100%. His distribution is excellent, particularly for the link up to Dennis.

Also we were sat right behind that second half save from Widdringtons shot. Top, top save that.
The ball was moving around massively, at the last minute it was really going away to Arnold’s left, somehow he got a strong hand to it with the ball falling to our defenders who cleared. Brilliant save.

It was also good to see a defender follow-up the shot. How many times have we seen that in the past, where their forward follows it in unchallenged and score

Havent enjoyed a game that much for ages.
The crowd / atmosphere was amazing - possibly the best I've heard.
The energy , balance and confidence is all spot on and quite how we didn't score in the first half is beyond me.
I know people will say "it was only Kings Lynn" but they actually played some decent football ( interspersed with blatant time wasting ) and we constantly found a way.
I think it's the first time I haven't been worried about being one down at half time - i was somehow positive we would win.
I won't give marks as i thought everyone did their job well , but Neal and Atkinson made everything tick at a good pace which gave every attack momentum.
Definitely one of those 'glad I was there nights'

Pretty much word for word what I was going to put. Totally agree.

A few other points to note -

We are now 10 points clear of the drop zone and 14 off the play offs. If we win the next 2 at Aldershot and Dover, we will be nearer the play offs than the drop zone with just under half the season left. That's a bonkers thing to even contemplate now given where we were just a month ago.

When was the last time we scored an injury time winner? To save you all racking your brains, it was Elvis's 96 minute winner v Lincoln in that wretched cancelled out season. Prior to that, someone please check and let me know as I genuinely can't remember one. And that was a trait of the previously successful Southend sides... we kept going, never gave up, scored a lot of late goals.

When was the last time we won 3 league games on the spin? It happened twice in the season of Brown and Powell, the last one being when we beat MK Dons at home and then Oldham and Bradford away. Again, if we win the next 2 it will be 5 on the spin... but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

It has been said by me and many others so many times, but this club does not deserve the support it has. As the club has declined, it's like the fans have doubled down on their efforts to do their bit and get the club out of the mess it was in. The atmosphere last night hasn't been like that for years. Even the Sunderland end of season match didn't have the energy that we witnessed yesterday. And the home section was only 2/3rds full... it seems so long since we had the Hall rocking... can you imagine the noise and atmosphere (as opposed to nervous expectant energy and then relief) when we really get going?

We are on the right lines now. The recruitment policy has changed and we are now bringing in the right players. The finances are still fragile and all it will need will be some bad weather to postpone the 2 early February home matches, the cash flow is buggered again and we will be back under an embargo. But you can see see the confidence coming back, the fitness is improving, and as I said after the Woking match, the team needs a new team.

We've got it; on and off the pitch.

National League look out. We're on the way back. Not there yet, but getting there.

And check this out... I want us to be the girl in the red. Watch to the end.

I have a vague memory of Cox scoring in injury time (I think!) when we beat Wallsall 3-2 after being 2-0 down. Is my memory holding up and was that the last time? It was eons ago if it was!

Maybe I didn't explain my point well enough to an extent, in terms of seeing players and the threat, by all means he is very good at doing so, however it's some times I have seen the ball be kicked straight out of play or it hasn't gone exactly where planned, it's just my own personal view ?
I've been to a couple away games but my first at the Hall this season, sat in the South Upper and some of the balls Arnold was pinging out was almost Federici-esque. He really seems the real deal, great shot stopper, organiser, claims crosses and very good distribution. Imagine he's a leader in the changing room and a great character to have around too.

Hopefully our number one for a long while.

I've been to a couple away games but my first at the Hall this season, sat in the South Upper and some of the balls Arnold was pinging out was almost Federici-esque. He really seems the real deal, great shot stopper, organiser, claims crosses and very good distribution. Imagine he's a leader in the changing room and a great character to have around too.

Hopefully our number one for a long while.
No doubt he's a massive influence in the dressing room, ****ing love the guy and his passion for the club

A squad of players who were either unavailable or not selected last night. I wonder how many of them we will see again in the first team?

Demetriou
Bridge
White
Murphy
Coulson
Agogo
Dunne
Akinola
ANG

Seaden
Gard
Walsh
Phillips
Egbri
Howard
Kinali
Assuming the present first team squad can avoid injury I would say that we will definitely see JD and Bridge start on occasions, and, once fit JW might be seen on the bench. I would assume once Murphy recovers he will also be in the mix.
My understanding is that SimAk is done for the season and ditto ANG.
Unless there are injuries, or, we are looking to rest players because of fixture congestion, it is hard to see Coulson, Agogo, Dunne, Gard, Walsh, Phillips, Egbri, Howard and Kinali having much of a look in.
That would be my opinion.

Assuming the present first team squad can avoid injury I would say that we will definitely see JD and Bridge start on occasions, and, once fit JW might be seen on the bench. I would assume once Murphy recovers he will also be in the mix.
My understanding is that SimAk is done for the season and ditto ANG.
Unless there are injuries, or, we are looking to rest players because of fixture congestion, it is hard to see Coulson, Agogo, Dunne, Gard, Walsh, Phillips, Egbri, Howard and Kinali having much of a look in.
That would be my opinion.

Egbri and Kinali are now out on loan until end of season

A squad of players who were either unavailable or not selected last night. I wonder how many of them we will see again in the first team?

Demetriou
Bridge
White
Murphy
Coulson
Agogo
Dunne
Akinola
ANG

Seaden
Gard
Walsh
Phillips
Egbri
Howard
Kinali

One's in the top half of the list almost definitely at some point.

Ones' below and including Seadon probably not

Harrison Neal appears to be a bit of an un-sung hero for me - probably due to his style of play. I think he is hugely influential in our improvement, and we will need to replace him with a similar style player when he heads back to Sheffield.

I agree with OBL and can’t understand why Louis Walsh isn’t getting a look in as a sub. As excellent as we were first half, I felt we lacked energy in the second. Dennis needs to be hooked a few minutes earlier - not a criticism, just down to the way he plays the game.

Harrison Neal appears to be a bit of an un-sung hero for me - probably due to his style of play. I think he is hugely influential in our improvement, and we will need to replace him with a similar style player when he heads back to Sheffield.

I agree with OBL and can’t understand why Louis Walsh isn’t getting a look in as a sub. As excellent as we were first half, I felt we lacked energy in the second. Dennis needs to be hooked a few minutes earlier - not a criticism, just down to the way he plays the game.
I rate Walsh and was playing ok when he got his chance! He's quick and can go past players but unfortunately he's another from the Molesley and the brown regime and I think maher wants to move most of them on and bring in stans players.

I rate Walsh and was playing ok when he got his chance! He's quick and can go past players but unfortunately he's another from the Molesley and the brown regime and I think maher wants to move most of them on and bring in stans players.
Obviously with the exceptions of Arnold, Dalby and Murphy.

Obviously with the exceptions of Arnold, Dalby and Murphy.

Don't forget Bridge, Hobson, Clifford, Demi, Dennis, Atkinson, 17 year olds being sold to Spurs, the viaduct, roads and education..... But apart from that.

• Haha
Reactions: fbm
Back