• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2020

So triggered the option to cover himself, then got in touch and asked if he could be paid off?

The player could well have triggered a new deal by playing a set number of games.

The delay over releasing him is almost certainly whilst they haggle over lost furloughed wages.

Tough decision for him. Remain an employee of SUFC, or enter the post-Covid wasteland with 1400 other lost & unemployed souls.

But realistically, I would assume he’s had some interest from another club, and wants out of his contract, so that there is no issues with purchase fees?

I believe Ron (to his credit & ours) has turned down several approaches for our players in the last 12-months and maybe Shaughnessy saw the same thing happening with him, and was advised to go this route?

Either way, he looked like a poundshop version of Luke Prosser to me.

To be clear, it seems the trigger was automatic based on the number of appearances - he clearly didn't want it triggered

Gotcha. I had taken it from the Echo's RM quote of "“The player triggered a further year but the club was approached as to whether we would agree a release,”

Either way, the impression given appears to be he doesn't wish to remain, so...... Easy choice for RM to make I'd've thought ?

The player could well have triggered a new deal by playing a set number of games.

The delay over releasing him is almost certainly whilst they haggle over lost furloughed wages.

I don’t suppose on the remotest that he might be trying to buy himself out of his contract. He must have had a very low trigger point - only started 14 league games plus 2 as sub. I wonder how the cancelled games count contractually?

I guess his dream of playing in England was not what he thought it would be and he wants to go back to Scotland.

Started in our 3-1 win over Bristol Rovers and had a great game.
Fair comment, in amongst his endless streak of 3-nil defeats he did have a 6/10 performance against a team who at the time had won just once in their previous 18 matches. Unfortunately he was also a key part of the worst defensive lineup in my 35 years of watching Southend play (which is really saying something.) I hope we can replace him and move on....

We better not have to pay him off.

It will definitely require a pay off before we see the back of him. I'm with everyone else on this though. How and why we have to pay up part of someone's contract who has asked to be released and will no doubt have a club lined up is beyond me. In the good old days I always thought that if a player asked to leave then he waived his right to a pay off?
However it would appear to be the norm these days and we will have to suck it up.
It's exactly the same scenario as Cox and Kiernan who both asked to leave but yet still received a nice monetary send off.

It will definitely require a pay off before we see the back of him. I'm with everyone else on this though. How and why we have to pay up part of someone's contract who has asked to be released and will no doubt have a club lined up is beyond me. In the good old days I always thought that if a player asked to leave then he waived his right to a pay off?
However it would appear to be the norm these days and we will have to suck it up.
It's exactly the same scenario as Cox and Kiernan who both asked to leave but yet still received a nice monetary send off.
My guess would be that whilst he'd like to move on the new club won't offer him the wages we're paying him, plenty of people (footballer or not) will do a job they don't like if it pays well. If we refused to release him with compensation then he'd likely withdraw his request to leave and stay with us for another season.

Hyam hasn’t to be one of our worst signings in our history! Thank **** he wasn’t on a longer contract!

Of the 3 that we offered contracts I’d be happy with McLaughlin and Barratt as we are always short on wingers! McLaughlin I cannot see staying unless he cannot find another club to sign him.

Hyam hasn’t to be one of our worst signings in our history! Thank **** he wasn’t on a longer contract!

Of the 3 that we offered contracts I’d be happy with McLaughlin and Barratt as we are always short on wingers! McLaughlin I cannot see staying unless he cannot find another club to sign him.
When i spoke to him a couple of weeks ago he said he wanted to stay and to was in Ron’s hands

McLaughlin, White and Barratt all invited to negotiate new contract terms with a view to being retained.

There’d be a lot of league 1 and 2 clubs after McL.
Someone would be prepared to take a chance on Barratt and probably be glad they did.No-one would want to sign John White.

I don’t suppose on the remotest that he might be trying to buy himself out of his contract. He must have had a very low trigger point - only started 14 league games plus 2 as sub. I wonder how the cancelled games count contractually?

I guess his dream of playing in England was not what he thought it would be and he wants to go back to Scotland.

Most likely a percentage of games played. He played in just over 50% of games.

Back