• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2020

I don’t usually advocate the re-signing the former players, but Alan McCormack is training with Northampton to keep fit – he wants another season in the professional game at the age of 36. I don’t usually advocate the re-signing the former players, but Alan McCormack is training with Northampton to keep fit – he wants another season in the professional game at the age of 36. Given the perceived weakness in our squad, surely having him at the base of midfield would be no bad thing.

I think MM already has someone lined up for a defensive midfield role.

No good having decent strikers if you have absolutely no midfield to get them the ball.

I’m seriously worried we may well head out of the league for the first time in our history this season. This squad is so young with so few experienced players and it doesn’t look like that will be changing anytime soon. If MM keeps us up he’ll have done an excellent job IMHO, personally I’m not at all convinced he’ll be able to do that with a team of kids in a very physical and competitive league. Most of these kids simply aren’t ready for professional football yet.

I’m seriously worried we may well head out of the league for the first time in our history this season. This squad is so young with so few experienced players and it doesn’t look like that will be changing anytime soon. If MM keeps us up he’ll have done an excellent job IMHO, personally I’m not at all convinced he’ll be able to do that with a team of kids in a very physical and competitive league. Most of these kids simply aren’t ready for professional football yet.

Angel Delight, you fears could be justified. But I believe Southend this year is going to exceed general expectations. I am really impressed by MM and his team, and believe we are going to shock quite a few clubs this season. The players seem to be right behind him.

Having a strong team on paper counts for very little. Having an absolutely committed team with lots of potential but few big 'stars' could work very well for Southend in what is a fiercely competitive Division 2.

Angel Delight, you fears could be justified. But I believe Southend this year is going to exceed general expectations. I am really impressed by MM and his team, and believe we are going to shock quite a few clubs this season. The players seem to be right behind him.

Having a strong team on paper counts for very little. Having an absolutely committed team with lots of potential but few big 'stars' could work very well for Southend in what is a fiercely competitive Division 2.

I really hope you’re right mate, it’s just a big concern putting what is almost exclusively an U23 team in a professional and very physical league. It works for Crewe, whether it can work for us remains to be seen. I don’t see many weaker squads on paper in L2 right now and without some experienced additions I do believe we’re going to struggle again. We’ll see, let’s hope you’re right and I’m wrong....

High work rate and organisation can take you a long way as will having eleven committed players on the pitch.
Both last season, and, before, under Brown we had 'experienced players' on our books and we saw how that worked out.
It is not just good players we need but the right players. Who the 'right' players are will differ from manager to manager. MM seems to be well organised, so he should know what positions need strengthening, and, may have even identified suitable recruits. Whether we ever discover their indentities might depend if and when the embargo is lifted!
I thought the Gillingham game showed we can compete against physical teams but based on the West Ham game there already seems to be quite a gap between our first choice players and some of the reserves.
At present I am not concerned about our ability to compete in L2, with our present group of players but there does not seem to be a whole lot of depth to our squad. Should we suffer a rash of injuries my present optimism would soon be dissolved.
One thing I am sure everyone on Shrimperzone would agree with is that the sooner the embargo is lifted the better for the club it will be.

Alan McCormack great player for us .Can we get another Michael timlin always gave everything .We have had some fantastic players over the years

Did you mean to leave the word away off the end of this statement? :Winking:

I’m not.

I really hope you’re right mate, it’s just a big concern putting what is almost exclusively an U23 team in a professional and very physical league. It works for Crewe, whether it can work for us remains to be seen. I don’t see many weaker squads on paper in L2 right now and without some experienced additions I do believe we’re going to struggle again. We’ll see, let’s hope you’re right and I’m wrong....

Its League Two a very physical league though? What are you basing that one? Certainly the teams I've seen come up to League One the last few years haven't all been what I would call physical teams. Might be a few in there, but is the whole league really like that?

No good having decent strikers if you have absolutely no midfield to get them the ball.
I do agree, but having a target man with a big arse can make such a difference. If they hold the ball up it gives us a chance to regroup, helps take some pressure off the midfield and defence

I do agree, but having a target man with a big arse can make such a difference. If they hold the ball up it gives us a chance to regroup, helps take some pressure off the midfield and defence
That’s why I think Marc-Antoine Fortuné was such an underrated player. He’d lost his explosive pace by the time he joined us but was terrific in holding up the ball and often played clever passes to bring others into the game. Shaun Goater was the same. If Humphrys could learn that aspect of the game he could be a terrific player.

That’s why I think Marc-Antoine Fortuné was such an underrated player. He’d lost his explosive pace by the time he joined us but was terrific in holding up the ball and often played clever passes to bring others into the game. Shaun Goater was the same. If Humphrys could learn that aspect of the game he could be a terrific player.
Great shout. We miss the MAF, never replaced him. I think Powell mugged himself off getting rid of some of the players who did well for us. He certainly didn't replace MAF

Back