• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Dave Smith one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hmm this is a tough one to decide. My gut reaction is to vote "yes" because of his acheivements - two promotions (same as Webb & Tilson) & the club's first silverware. However statements like this:

Have made me doubtful, along with the 12 person limit on the HoF, is this limit going to stay or will it increase in the future YB?

I may need more pursuading from Dave Smith fans. what made him a good manager? what players will he be remembered for bringing in? etc.

Twelve isn't a limit, it represents a threshhold of quality so that only the elite get in.

As the club's history grows, so should the capacity of the Hall of Fame. I'm not going to dictate how many places need to be filled - people may feel we currently have fewer than 12, they may feel it's a few more. It's up to you, the voters, to decide where the natural cut-off is between the very best and the merely very good. There is therefore no need to vote no just to save a space for your favourite.

You can therefore think of the question as does Dave Smith belong alongside the likes of Billy Best, Dave Webb, Chris Powell, Ron Pountney, Alan Moody etc or would he dilute the overall quality of the Hall? If he is of that ilk, vote yes; if he falls into the tier below, vote no.

Back