• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
NOT QUITE ALL WHITE AS BLUES GRAB POINT

Southend earned a deserved point against play-off chasers Plymouth at the Hall today, but wore their all white away kit to do it!

Presumably the visitors had not brought down their away strip and so it was felt that the easiest solution would be for us to don the white strip to avoid our navy blue clashing with their racing green.

Unfortunately someone forgot to remind Southend that they were at home as their play resembled their away form in the first period.  In short, it was dreadful.  Blues had already had one scare before some comically inept defending presented Argyle with a 5th minute lead.  Prior had the opportunity to put the ball out of play but succeeded in toe poking the ball just a few yards.  Hammell then had the same chance but his choice was to delicately chip the ball a few feet to Gower on the touchline.  He in turn decided to wait for the ball rather than go to it and was beaten by a visiting attacker who squared the ball for Djordic to stab the ball goalwards from the edge of the box.  It somehow eluded everyone, including Flahavan, and squirmed it's way inside the post to prompt much arm waving and pointing amongst the home defence.

In a very poor first 45 minutes, Plymouth pressed well but hardly had to break sweat to contain Southend, who resorted to long ball tactics at every opportunity.  Francis and Gower took turns to ping the ball 40 yards across the pitch, usually to no-one.  Maher was repeatedly caught in possession and gave the ball away an uncharacteristically high number of times.  Harrold and Freddy (who's only goalbound effort all afternoon was ruled out for offside) were almost totally anonymous and even Sodje was off colour.  The only outfield players to come out with any first half credit were JCR and Clarke, but more on the basis that they did less wrong.  Clarke had started to warm to his midfield role, and sheer persistence presented him with Blues best chance just befopre the break, when he won 2 or 3 tackles and found hgimself in the box with just the keeper to beat 10 yards out.  Unfortunately he mish!t the shot which was parried away.

Southend were booed off at half time after a showing that had relegation stamped all over it.  Tilly and Brush obviously reminded them they were the home side and the second half had an injection of urgency and pace.  Still, not much happened until a very rare occurrence - a double (and early) substitution after just 10 minutes of the second half when loanee Alan McCormack and fit again Gary Hooper replaced Clarke and a visibly disappointed Campbell-Ryce, who took an absolute age to leave the field and then went straight down the tunnel.

Anyone doubting the wisdom of that decision however did not have to wait long to be proved wrong.  McCormack had already brought 2 commodities to the midfield that had been so lacking before - pace and athleticism - and had a small part to play in the move that led to the equaliser.  Hooper flicked the ball on and from Francis, Harrold and Eastwood the ball eventually ballooned over to Gower, who rifled home from 15 yards.

It was an equaliser that, up to that point, had been barely deserved but the team and the crowd were now lifted and within a minute a superb ball behind the defence just failed to be met by an onrushing McCormack just 2 yards out.

The Preston man was everywhere and then ran into the box and fired a low shot that was parried away.

Barrett came on for Prior and it looked like Blues would go on and win it. Hooper showed some neat touches and Southend gained the upper hand but couldn't produce the quality to grab a second, Harrold going closest with an effort that bobbled inches wide.  Plymouth also had their moments, including forcing 4 corners in succession in the last few minutes but then, deep in injury time, Southend had one final chance to grab the points.  A free kick was won about 30 yards out and following Freddys recent strike against Manchester United the crowd buzzed with anticipation.  The routine was the same - Freddy, Maher and Hammell over the ball.  Hammell dummies, Freddy strikes... but this the the ball nestled somewhere in the South Upper.

So, a point gained or 2 points lost?  I would say the former, bearing in mind the woeful first half.  Every point is useful and all the others lost around us. Col******r are wobbling and must now be viewing next weeks game with a little less confidence than they had 3 weeks ago.  Bring it on!

Ratings:

Flahavan: 7 - Little to do and couldn't be blamed for the goal.  Not from my angle anyway.

Francis - 6 - Poor early on, got better.
Sodje - 7 - Uncharacteristically hesitant in first half, more dominant in second half.
Prior - 6 - His initial error caused the goal, and went off injured after 70 minutes.  Looked his age today - maybe 3 games in 2 weeks is too much.
Hammell - 6 - Quiet game for the Scot.  Some good set pieces.

JCR - 6 - Didn't do much wrong but was subbed.  He usually tires anyway and as he played for Jamaica midweek would have probably only lasted a few more minutes.
Maher - 6 - Not one of his best games.  GAve ball away a lot.
Clarke - 6 - Not too bad but compared to McCormack there's no comparison.
Gower - 7 - Cracking equaliser and was always looking for the ball.

Eastwood - 5 - Very quiet - a bit of an off day.
Harrold - 5 - Hardly won a header all afternoon and just couldn't get in it.  In fairness to both strikers though there was next to no service.

Subs -

Hooper - 7 - Looked good and injected some pace and trickery.
McCormack - 8 - MOM - As hard as it may be to award the MOM to a sub who played only 1/3rd of the game, I'm going to because no-one else played well in the other 2/3rds.  This man showed exactly what we need in the midfield.  I hope we keep him.
Barrett - 6 - Good to see him back and slotted in well alongside Sodje.

Yet again another fine report Mr fbm.

On the Mc Cormack question you pose at the end of your report ie, "I hope we keep him". He is in fact signed until January and a fee has been agreed with Preston to take him permanently when the window opens.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D62SUBOY @ Nov. 19 2006,10:07)]Yet again another fine report Mr fbm.

On the Mc Cormack question you pose at the end of your report ie, "I hope we keep him". He is in fact signed until January and a fee has been agreed with Preston to take him permanently when the window opens.
Excellent news - I wasn't aware of that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and even Sodje was off colour
Dont agree with that I thought he was our best player but the rest is pretty spot on.
As for Harrold and freddy, it seems the team are suffering form the "Weve got a big bloke up front, lets whack it high all the time" Harrold is ok on the floor and I would like to see more balls played into his feet. It didnt help much that the centre back was pushing him and pulling his shirt most of the game, only spotted once by Rob Stiles late in the second half.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Nov. 19 2006,12:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (D62SUBOY @ Nov. 19 2006,10:07)]He is in fact signed until January and a fee has been agreed with Preston to take him permanently when the window opens.
Fantastic news - do we know how much?
No idea and to be honest who the hell cares
laugh.gif
Tilly has been after him for a while and as RM has said many times before once Tilly feels he has spotted the player he feels the club needs to get in on loan/perminently, and that player is available, the funds will be made available.

After yesterdays performance I'm just glad he's here. One down and possiblly two or three to go before the door closes on Thursday at 5pm.

Further to my previous post I take this quote from the OS.

"Blues took the Preston North End midfielder on loan until the start of January with a view of a permanent transfer on Friday".

Now, knowing how disappointed Mac was to have been recalled the last time he pulled on a Blues shirt back in 2005 and the fact he wants to be here, not at Preston I very much doubt that he would have come here with the prospect of being recalled again 5 weeks later looming over him.
I also think it's inconceivable that Tilly would be daft enough to get someone of his ability into the side without first making sure he can rely on him being a long term asset to the club.

I have no proof that a deal has been done with Preston as regards to agreeing a permanent move for Mac in January but putting 2 + 2 together I find it very hard to conceive of any other scenario.

Back