• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When I was home from University I used to roadie for my mate who was a mobile DJ who worked in and around London because 99% of the time it meant free food and as much booze as I could drink.

I have similar issues being in a band. We play cheesy pop/rock tunes - a sort of "live" disco if you will (alright, "wedding singers"!)

Nothing gets me more than when someone comes up to us IN THE MIDDLE OF A SONG to request their personal favourite, which invariably we haven't learned so we can't play anyway.

This reminds me of a duo that used to gig in Dagenham, they had a synth and a huge hard drive of MIDI files,thus they could play anything. The best thing was, the soft synth on the MIDI controller was a B4 Hammond Organ. This meant they could play "Anarchy In The UK" and sound like they've come from Phoenix Nights. Brilliant stuff.

Almost 20 years ago (jeez!) I once "volunteered" to DJ at an Officer's Mess do - an easy £80 I thought. I was shoved in a small library annexe off the main reception hall, probably no bigger than The Far Post bar and proceeded to start the set with a few cheesy SAW numbers which normally got the party going (especially in the Sergeant's Mess with the drunk young wives and girlfriends). No-one emerged from the reception hall except one very ****ed female subaltern who wanted 'Orinoco Flow' by Enya. I complied and she disappeared. Ten minutes later she came back and requested the same song and then disappeared. This pattern continued all night. The only other person I saw was the Mess Steward who popped his head through the door to ask me to turn it down a little bit! From approximately 9pm through to around 2am I saw two people! Never again ...

Almost 20 years ago (jeez!) I once "volunteered" to DJ at an Officer's Mess do - an easy £80 I thought. I was shoved in a small library annexe off the main reception hall, probably no bigger than The Far Post bar and proceeded to start the set with a few cheesy SAW numbers which normally got the party going (especially in the Sergeant's Mess with the drunk young wives and girlfriends). No-one emerged from the reception hall except one very ****ed female subaltern who wanted 'Orinoco Flow' by Enya. I complied and she disappeared. Ten minutes later she came back and requested the same song and then disappeared. This pattern continued all night. The only other person I saw was the Mess Steward who popped his head through the door to ask me to turn it down a little bit! From approximately 9pm through to around 2am I saw two people! Never again ...

TBH that does sound like an easy £80 though !!!

yes and no...

earning £80 for doing nothing sounds like heaven...

But, im sure Mike would agree, besides the money (and bearing in mind i didnt earn anything this weekend) the most fulfilling thing for a DJ is to see a dancefloor heeeving to his tunes.

XS, did it never occur to you that they may have just wanted a party and wanted to keep you out of the way ;)

yes and no...

earning £80 for doing nothing sounds like heaven...

But, im sure Mike would agree, besides the money (and bearing in mind i didnt earn anything this weekend) the most fulfilling thing for a DJ is to see a dancefloor heeeving to his tunes.

Same for a band. Nothing better than watching everyone getting down to the music you're making. Did a gig once for a local stuffy yacht club 'round my way. Turned out it was for their AGM. They sat around in snobby suits, had a meal then we played. It was like playing for the Last Supper - only less interesting. They didn't move or interact all night. I'm not sure they even realised we were there. We treated it like a rehearsal in the end.

We don't play that club very often anymore... :flamer:

all I can say it comes with the territory, It's all about reading the crowd and the more experianced you get, the less of this you will receive,

Last year I played at over 200 events, and this year I'll surpass that, only advice I can offer is if it's what you want to do then stick with it, it beats working for a living.

Also I have found the less money you charge, the dick heads seem to be there

all I can say it comes with the territory, It's all about reading the crowd and the more experianced you get, the less of this you will receive

Agree with that. Very rare that we get a damp squib of a gig anymore. Still waiting for our invite to play at the Southend United Xmas party though :D

Back