• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No offence, but what exactly have we to lose? Answer, nothing!!

Yes, the fans treated him appallingly, no question, and I have no idea why either, as whenever I have seen him play, he has always given his all and has looked far more likely to score than Bradders. He may not want to return, but he has little say in the matter, he is contracted to play for us, and whilst he may have had a bad start with the fans, what an opportunity now to put 2 fingers up to all those who barracked him and help us salvage something?

I dont think my dig at Tilly was at all unfair, look at our bench today and you tell me why we have 2 players out on loan scoring and doing well and they are not back here with us? Sorry, no excuses for not bringing them back and trying them, they certainly wouldnt be any worse than what we have. He is the manager of this club, he should be doing everything in his power to keep us up, it is in his power to bring one or both of them back and give them a shot, he isnt doing it. Instead, we go into matches with a bench so weak and lacking of options it is untrue.

For the reason I have stated - nothing has changed, Paynter is playing a role at Bradford (the Eastwood position) that he (probably) wouldn't be playing here, and though you and I agree that he is capable and was badly treated by the fans here, I suspect that his first poor touch, misplaced pass or shot over the bar would bring down upon him the wrath of those who think they know so much about football and wish to share the benefit of their insight with the players.

Actually, I agree - I would like to see him back because we have nothing to lose now, but I also think Tilly is very clued up about these things, and if he isn't bringing him back then there will probably be a sound reason for it, and I was just trying to highlight that. Your dig isn't so much unfair, actually, as disrespectful - Tilly has made many very good decisions, and I don't think it right to be as ascerbic as you are when you disagree with him. You post a lot of very good sense and argue your points persuasively, but I feel you let yourself down with the personal stuff occasionaly.

For the reason I have stated - nothing has changed, Paynter is playing a role at Bradford (the Eastwood position) that he (probably) wouldn't be playing here, and though you and I agree that he is capable and was badly treated by the fans here, I suspect that his first poor touch, misplaced pass or shot over the bar would bring down upon him the wrath of those who think they know so much about football and wish to share the benefit of their insight with the players.

Actually, I agree - I would like to see him back because we have nothing to lose now, but I also think Tilly is very clued up about these things, and if he isn't bringing him back then there will probably be a sound reason for it, and I was just trying to highlight that. Your dig isn't so much unfair, actually, as disrespectful - Tilly has made many very good decisions, and I don't think it right to be as ascerbic as you are when you disagree with him. You post a lot of very good sense and argue your points persuasively, but I feel you let yourself down with the personal stuff occasionaly.

LoL.... I'll let the patronising end to your post go, I wouldnt be so rude as to say to you that it just let your's down!!

I dont remember making my criticism of Tilson personal either? I did not abuse him, I merely pointed out that as the manager of Southend United he should be doing everything in his power to keep us up, to my mind, with two in form strikers out on loan, he isnt doing that.

He may well have a sound reason for it, but whatever that reason is, I suspect that it is not a good enough one to not give it a go.

To not play someone because the crowd may get on there back after one bad touch or pass is ridiculous - They are supposed to be men and if they want to earn a living doing something the vast majority of us all dream about, then they have to take that risk. They are in an extremely priviged position and sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth - Paynter is big enough and ugly enough to deal with that, I am sure. That cannot be the reason he isnt brought back - if it is, then my comment re Tilson are in fact far from disrespectful, but actually, pretty damn accurate!!

That argument is used every time for Bradders. The fact is I could give my all for the team if I played up front but I'm still not championship quality. Foran obviously has the ability and I get more excited with Richie on the ball than Bradders. Four goals in a season from a striker is ridiculous, give Foran a chance up front and see how he does.

I agree, Bradbury may try hard, but the fact is that he's no threat running in behind the defence and he doesn't seem to get himself in the box to be threatening in the air. I think we have become easy for opposition teams to play against. Double up on Eastwood and mark him out of the game, as Bradbury offers little in the way of a goal threat. Man mark Kevin Maher in the middle of the park and the jobs pretty much done. The opposition can then simply wait for the customary mistakes at the back.

I have always wonder about playing with two wingers when there's nobody in the box to score from crosses. How many headed goals have we scored this season from open play. Freddy rarely scores with his head and Bradbury rarely scores full stop. Last year Eastwood and the Goat formed a partnership, this season there's been no partnership upfront at all. Once again there was a lack of movement in the final third and no innovation. Why on earth don't the two wingers switch during the game. Pro footballers should be doing things like that off there own backs. Mix it up, 10 or 15 minutes against a different full back may create a chance or even a goal.

As for two of our forwards being out on loan when we need goals, well don't get me started on that one.

Last edited:
LoL.... I'll let the patronising end to your post go, I wouldnt be so rude as to say to you that it just let your's down!!

I dont remember making my criticism of Tilson personal either? I did not abuse him, I merely pointed out that as the manager of Southend United he should be doing everything in his power to keep us up, to my mind, with two in form strikers out on loan, he isnt doing that.

He may well have a sound reason for it, but whatever that reason is, I suspect that it is not a good enough one to not give it a go.

To not play someone because the crowd may get on there back after one bad touch or pass is ridiculous - They are supposed to be men and if they want to earn a living doing something the vast majority of us all dream about, then they have to take that risk. They are in an extremely priviged position and sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth - Paynter is big enough and ugly enough to deal with that, I am sure. That cannot be the reason he isnt brought back - if it is, then my comment re Tilson are in fact far from disrespectful, but actually, pretty damn accurate!!

I think you've just proved my point RC. You criticise Tilson in quite strong terms, but when I criticise your post you accuse me of being patronising. I wasn't being patronising, I was being honest about what annoys me in your style of posting. Then you deny that you had been personal or abusive in your criticism - despite having said that if he didn't agree with you he must either be "incredibly incompetent" or unwilliing "to eat humble pie" - ie full of hubris. How can you claim that that is not personal or abusive? In a previous post, you even admit that it is a dig at Tilson, and at the end of your post you then stand by it.

My issue with your post was not your point of view (bring back Billy) but the aggressive and insulting swipe at our management that accompanied it. I wasn't rude or aggressive in pointing it out, but you still took offence and clearly resented my comments. For someone who is very quick to pepper his postings with strong criticisms of the management and players, you seem very sensitive to any hint of criticism of yourself. I would suggest that if you can't take it don't give it.

As to the second part of the post above, fbm has answered that very well in another thread. But dismissing the whole psychological aspect of football (and in my view football is played as much in the mind as on the pitch) by saying:

To not play someone because the crowd may get on there back after one bad touch or pass is ridiculous - They are supposed to be men and if they want to earn a living doing something the vast majority of us all dream about, then they have to take that risk. They are in an extremely priviged position and sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth - Paynter is big enough and ugly enough to deal with that, I am sure. That cannot be the reason he isnt brought back - if it is, then my comment re Tilson are in fact far from disrespectful, but actually, pretty damn accurate!![/

is painfully simplistic. It simply doesn't work like that. People who are lucky enough to be gifted with some footballing skill are not therefore supermen or different from the common herd. Some are naturally very strong characters, but others more sensitive. There has already been some suggestion on here that Paynter found the criticism he faced more than he wanted to cope with. Tilson has to deal with real people, not caracatures and on balance, though no one would deny that he has made mistakes, he has done a good job of it. I am prepared to accept, based on all that Tilly and Brush have achieved for us, that if he isn't bringing Paynter back then there is probably a good reason for it and until strong evidence is produced to the contrary I will refrain from questioning his intelligence, competence, or moral character.

I think in all fairness to Foran, he was being played in a totally alien position to where he should be playing. He plays up front or on the left side of midfield, so why on earth play him on the right, given that is the one position we dont need to worry about this seaosn, I have no idea.

The only person to blame for that is Tilly, simple as that.

Foran started on the left and actually played most of the first half on the left. Tilly swapped him and Gower over a few times but the two chances that Foran wasted both came from him coming in from the left wing.

Disgraceful showing from start to finish again yesterday.

The lads need to take a long hard look at themselves, if they dont want to play with pride in wearing the blue shirt, then **** off elsewhere as far as im concerned...Ineptitude I can just about handle, but I will not stand for lack of effort, commitment and pride, which is exactly what was shown yesterday.

Losing to Col Ewe is bad enough, but in that manner is unforgiveable.

Last edited:
I think you've just proved my point RC. You criticise Tilson in quite strong terms, but when I criticise your post you accuse me of being patronising. I wasn't being patronising, I was being honest about what annoys me in your style of posting. Then you deny that you had been personal or abusive in your criticism - despite having said that if he didn't agree with you he must either be "incredibly incompetent" or unwilliing "to eat humble pie" - ie full of hubris. How can you claim that that is not personal or abusive? In a previous post, you even admit that it is a dig at Tilson, and at the end of your post you then stand by it.

My issue with your post was not your point of view (bring back Billy) but the aggressive and insulting swipe at our management that accompanied it. I wasn't rude or aggressive in pointing it out, but you still took offence and clearly resented my comments. For someone who is very quick to pepper his postings with strong criticisms of the management and players, you seem very sensitive to any hint of criticism of yourself. I would suggest that if you can't take it don't give it.

As to the second part of the post above, fbm has answered that very well in another thread. But dismissing the whole psychological aspect of football (and in my view football is played as much in the mind as on the pitch) by saying:

is painfully simplistic. It simply doesn't work like that. People who are lucky enough to be gifted with some footballing skill are not therefore supermen or different from the common herd. Some are naturally very strong characters, but others more sensitive. There has already been some suggestion on here that Paynter found the criticism he faced more than he wanted to cope with. Tilson has to deal with real people, not caracatures and on balance, though no one would deny that he has made mistakes, he has done a good job of it. I am prepared to accept, based on all that Tilly and Brush have achieved for us, that if he isn't bringing Paynter back then there is probably a good reason for it and until strong evidence is produced to the contrary I will refrain from questioning his intelligence, competence, or moral character.

I was not offended by the fact you didnt like my post, or in fact the manner in which I post, far from it, this is an open forum, and it would all be incredibly boring if we all thought and spoke in the same manner. In fact, I dont think I was that bothered by any of what you wrote, I merely pointed out that the way in which you phrased your last point was patronising - I still stand by that. I also added that I would not be quite so rude about your style of writing, but thats just my way. In fact, if you re read my original opening line, at what point did I take offence? I believe I started with a LoL!!!

My criticism of Tilly is another issue however, and everything I have said I stand by, regardless of whether or not you agree, or regardless of whether or not you think some of my criticism is harsh and of a personal nature.

If you had been reading my posts on both here and shrimpers.net you will know that as harsh as I am critical, I am equally praiseworthy when it is due, like it has been for the previous two and a half years. Unfortunately, these are not mutally exclusive and just because Tilly has accomplished many great things over the last two and a half years does not mean now that he is exempt from either making bad decisions or receiving criticism.

The performances both last Saturday at Hull and yesterday were very much worthy of criticism, and of the strongest type. If you think I crossed over into personal abuse then so be it, I dont believe I did. I suggested that not bringing back one or both of our loan strikers would be incredibly imcompetent, that is not personal abuse, that is in my opinion fact. You may disagree, which you are perfectly entitled to. But I did not abuse him, I did not start swearing at him or calling him names as some people have done.

I think you will find that England fans chanting 'Steve MacClaren is a wa***r' is personal abuse, my criticism was based merely on a professional basis.

I also still stand by what I said about Paynter, he is scoring goals, playing well and must be full of confidence, if now is not a good time to bring him back, then there simply isnt going to be one. But to not try it when we are so clearly lacking altenative attacking options is just odd. If it doesnt work, then so what? We're headed for League One anyway, and while he is part of our squad and part of our wage bill he should be here helping out, and in my view, there is no counter argument to that which will make me feel any different about it.

If, however, you think that he should not bring him back and that Tilly has a valid reason for not doing so, I can then only assume you are on some level criticising the management of this club for wasting £250,000 of our precious transfer fund on someone who doesnt cut the mustard and doesnt have the mental strength to come back here and prove the doubters wrong? Which one is it?

Personally I'd have had Hooper in up front but failing that he's the best available option we have, which doesn't actually say a great deal.

Fully agree, infact I'd rather have Hooper OR even Paynter up top with Freddy at the moment. People say Hooper and Freddy can't play together but how many games have they actually had? Didn't do badly against the best side in England did they.......

Hooper actually has the look of a goalscorer about him which is what we need and is more than can be said of the (fair enough hardworking) Bradders or even Foran who after a couple of promising games at the start is now winning NOTHING in the air, his first touch is abysmal, he seems to offer no goal threat and also looks a bit of a lazy bastid to me.

EDIT: I'll support the lads right to the very end but I have to say that performance yesterday was DISGRACEFUL, I can take defeat if they give their absolute all and we're just not good enough but to put up such a display in not only a must-win game for survival but also in a DERBY against their fierce Essex rivals is disgusting and shows that while these games mean EVERYTHING to the supporters at least half of the players on show yesterday (bar maybe Flavs, Clarke, Macca, JCR and Hammell) probably don't give a s**t about this club or its supporters.

Last edited:
Bradders for all his hard work and effort has zero penetration and just doesnt cause opposition defences anywhere near enough problems.

If Bradders actually had a shot and didn't shy away and look for a pass every time he gets a chance on goal it would be a start. I like his commitment and hard work and he seems a really nice guy and for all that I'll always support him, I'll always support players like that but the fact remains though he's a million miles away from the player who got shedloads of goals for Pompey earlier in his career. He's also nowhere near quick enough for this level of football anymore.

I was not offended by the fact you didnt like my post, or in fact the manner in which I post, far from it, this is an open forum, and it would all be incredibly boring if we all thought and spoke in the same manner. In fact, I dont think I was that bothered by any of what you wrote, I merely pointed out that the way in which you phrased your last point was patronising - I still stand by that. I also added that I would not be quite so rude about your style of writing, but thats just my way. In fact, if you re read my original opening line, at what point did I take offence? I believe I started with a LoL!!!

My criticism of Tilly is another issue however, and everything I have said I stand by, regardless of whether or not you agree, or regardless of whether or not you think some of my criticism is harsh and of a personal nature.

If you had been reading my posts on both here and shrimpers.net you will know that as harsh as I am critical, I am equally praiseworthy when it is due, like it has been for the previous two and a half years. Unfortunately, these are not mutally exclusive and just because Tilly has accomplished many great things over the last two and a half years does not mean now that he is exempt from either making bad decisions or receiving criticism.

The performances both last Saturday at Hull and yesterday were very much worthy of criticism, and of the strongest type. If you think I crossed over into personal abuse then so be it, I dont believe I did. I suggested that not bringing back one or both of our loan strikers would be incredibly imcompetent, that is not personal abuse, that is in my opinion fact. You may disagree, which you are perfectly entitled to. But I did not abuse him, I did not start swearing at him or calling him names as some people have done.

I think you will find that England fans chanting 'Steve MacClaren is a wa***r' is personal abuse, my criticism was based merely on a professional basis.

I also still stand by what I said about Paynter, he is scoring goals, playing well and must be full of confidence, if now is not a good time to bring him back, then there simply isnt going to be one. But to not try it when we are so clearly lacking altenative attacking options is just odd. If it doesnt work, then so what? We're headed for League One anyway, and while he is part of our squad and part of our wage bill he should be here helping out, and in my view, there is no counter argument to that which will make me feel any different about it.

If, however, you think that he should not bring him back and that Tilly has a valid reason for not doing so, I can then only assume you are on some level criticising the management of this club for wasting £250,000 of our precious transfer fund on someone who doesnt cut the mustard and doesnt have the mental strength to come back here and prove the doubters wrong? Which one is it?

1. I've re-read the end of my post and though I respect your opinion that you found it patronising, I didn't write it with that intention, and my opinion is that it was just fair comment. Also, I wasn't rude about your style of writing, I was complementary about it. It was a small part of the content that I took issue with.

2. I don't deny your right to be critical and never have, and of course Tilson has made and will make mistakes. However we will have to disagree over whether calling Tilson "incredibly incompetent" is not personal abuse. In my opinion it is not fact and is deeply insulting. I'm not sure that many people would take kindly to being called incredibly incompetent or would not think it a personal insult.

3. I said that I basically agreed about bringing Paynter back. However how can you know that there will be no valid counter argument unless you are privy to all the facts, which we supporters patently can't be.

3. I have never said that I hold the club above criticism or that they don't sometimes make mistakes. But how could Tilson have known that the fans would take against Paynter so quickly or so violently? Clubs are always taking gambles on players, some come off and some don't. The jury is still out on Paynter. But I am not going to start criticising the club for taking a risk on him.

Back