• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What a player he would have been if he was consistent! 1 good game every 10 games, and the other 9 he looked like bambi! Never sure what he was going to do next and sometimes even looked like he didn't know either.

Will always remember his skill against Chelsea that took Ashley Cole out the game.
Agreed. One of the best individual performances I've seen on his debut against Leeds, must have turned their centre back at least 5/6 times with utter ease. Never realised his potential though unfortunately and certainly not saying we should (or are even contemplating) having him back, but is definitely a player I wish found consistency as clearly had something different to offer.

Blame Tilson, he was the one who didnt think they were good enough!!

Didn't Tilson sign him or did he appear from fresh air as a Southend player?

Surely a far bigger f*ck up for Grays who released him, than ourselves as we got something out of him.

He did think he was good enough. Or he wouldn't have signed him in the first place. What Tilson couldn't legislate for was that Hopper didn't show enough on the training field to be a regular, and he was given the chance to have a run in the side he didn't do the business and was inconsistent. A lot of the blame for Hoppers failure at Blues lies with himself! Once he had crossed the white line to play the games he DID start, the responsibility was his to impress and to stake a claim for a regular place. He didn't. So he moved on. End of story.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I suspect more of a throwaway comment than your actual thoughts, surely?

2 goals in 32 appearances.... Was hardly showing himself to be prolific was he?

I doubt anyone was calling for Tilsons head when he was sold to Scunny.....Probably instead heralding it as the best business the club ever conducted!

Hindsight is just one of those things unfortunately. Try capturing your thoughts at the time rather than 4 years later. Scunthorpe (and later Celtic) got the best out of him, we didn't. End of.

He did think he was good enough. Or he wouldn't have signed him in the first place. What Tilson couldn't legislate for was that Hopper didn't show enough on the training field to be a regular, and he was given the chance to have a run in the side he didn't do the business and was inconsistent. A lot of the blame for Hoppers failure at Blues lies with himself! Once he had crossed the white line to play the games he DID start, the responsibility was his to impress and to stake a claim for a regular place. He didn't. So he moved on. End of story.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I know.
He just bounced around like a short , fat , orange ball........................

At the time there was a lot of talk about his father putting pressure on Hooper and club management.
There were rumours coming out of Grays that the manager / Chairman got fed up with Hooper seniors demand on when and how they should play him. Could all be bollo but considering his performances improved the further north he went (Hereford, Scunny, Celtic) there may be some mileage

At the time there was a lot of talk about his father putting pressure on Hooper and club management.
There were rumours coming out of Grays that the manager / Chairman got fed up with Hooper seniors demand on when and how they should play him. Could all be bollo but considering his performances improved the further north he went (Hereford, Scunny, Celtic) there may be some mileage

He's going to be unplayable if he signs Malmo

If recollection serves me right, weren't we going through the phase of signing strikers...Hooper, Foran....and playing them as wingers.
So, they were playing out of position, we thought that they weren't performing, got on their back (sound familiar), they left...new manager played them in their preferred/best postion and got results / money in the long run??

Strange old game this football lark eh?

If recollection serves me right, weren't we going through the phase of signing strikers...Hooper, Foran....and playing them as wingers.
So, they were playing out of position, we thought that they weren't performing, got on their back (sound familiar), they left...new manager played them in their preferred/best postion and got results / money in the long run??

Strange old game this football lark eh?

Madness - always tickles me how someone with natural / technical ability can rock up in an injury crisis play in an unknown position and be a revelation... always leaves me asking what if..... rob newman had played as a striker from the start of his career :raspberry:

He's going to be unplayable if he signs Malmo

errr..not sure Malmo is further north than Glasgow :unsure:

Everything I've personally heard has suggested the same, that Hooper's old man is a very disruptive influence and more than a few people concluded that Hooper wasn't worth the baggage. There's a story (not sure of the veracity of this one, mind) about Hooper getting into a row with Sodje at training that ultimately resulted in Hooper requiring some dental work, and his incensed father was straight down the training ground making all kinds of demands.

I believe the problem we had with Hooper is that the midfielders we had at the time were so geared towards providing for Eastwood that they just couldn't work Hooper out. A great deal of Hooper's goals, certainly for Celtic, have come from a delivery into the box from a wide position, and we didn't really have that much of an outlet from those positions at that time. Gower lacked the pace to outstrip a fullback so cut inside, whilst JCR wasn't exactly productive. Our sheer turnover of forwards that struggled here, but subsequently blossomed elsewhere would seemingly testify to that as well.

Back