• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bluetonic

Banned
My college are running a £50 competition for the best article for the college magazine. Whilst bored, I emailed them asking for a subject to write about - they replied with an article about 'Veggie Vision', and vegetarianism in general. Here's my effort I've just sent off, safe in the knowledge that there is no chance of victory, but at least I made an effort. Also, for the forums sake, a hope a genuine discussion could be formed.
Vegetarianism is a surprisingly contentious issue, that divides people to the extent that it makes the Israelis and the Palestinians look like Ant and Dec. 'Veggie Vision' is a vegetarian internet TV station, that caters to the herbivores amongst us. If that sounds like the worst idea since the pop career of Leona Lewis, that's because it probably is.

My main gripe with vegetarianism is that the whole system is so pious and faux-ethical. If you don't eat meat for moral reasons, fair enough - just don't expect everybody to bow down and follow your lead. If only people would actually get over themselves and feel secure in their own decisions that they don't need to try and force their opinions on everybody else, then maybe some headway would be made with peoples personal viewpoints. Again, if you don't like the taste of meat - don't eat it, there is no need to try and made some grandiose gesture out of it. I don't like prawn cocktail flavoured crisps, but I don't let it affect my entire viewpoint on life, because it's actually quite a trivial and dull part of my personality.

The aforementioned Veggie Vision ask the question "How can we promote veganism through the media?" on their website. There should be no need to promote the ideal, because surely it's a personal choice and therefore needless to promote it? I can understand people advertising a gig, or a play, but you venture into dangerous morality when you're essentially telling people what to do. It's purely another form of pressure, albeit this is under the guise of a support group and 'raising awareness', rather than your dangerous mate Tony offering you a cigarette. "Try it, you'll love it!", he implores, which is no different to a gang of hippies offering recipes on tofu and Quorn. Who knows, if Hitler had enjoyed a bacon sandwich in the morning rather than some boiled lettuce, the mid twentieth century might have been a much nicer time and place.

Don't get me wrong though - vegetarians are good in some aspects - mainly for looking down on, but at least it's a start. In all seriousness, a small part of me is envious that they manage to adhere to such a strict lifestyle at least food wise, and it is good that many of them are passionate about their choices, but it's the way that the zealots are so earnest, so desperate to be proved right that they can't actually accept that most people just don't have the time to care about battery farms, or whether the delicious duck they have just devoured was bred in a picturesque pond, or a fowls paradise. Regardless, if you have an opinion by all means express it, but refrain from turning it into gospel when it is purely your own thoughts.

To conclude then - the only thing that Veggie Vision has managed to distill in me is a healthy disdain of all things vegetarian, which unfortunately for them isn't what they really intended. All that being said though, I have been inspired to join PETA - albeit it the Petition for the Eating of Tasty Animals, rather than the legitimate one, but that's the way the cookie crumbles - or in this case, the beautiful beef sizzling in the oven.

My college are running a £50 competition for the best article for the college magazine. Whilst bored, I emailed them asking for a subject to write about - they replied with an article about 'Veggie Vision', and vegetarianism in general. Here's my effort I've just sent off, safe in the knowledge that there is no chance of victory, but at least I made an effort. Also, for the forums sake, a hope a genuine discussion could be formed.
To be fair not a bad article.

my mate's boyfriends family are all vegetarians, and so even after 5 years of going out with him, she won't go around their house "out of a matter of principle!"

I've got a veggie mate, who, when the beer goggles come on, loves nothing better than a kebab, and then feels guilty the next day like he's shagged his best mate's wife :D

my mate's boyfriends family are all vegetarians, and so even after 5 years of going out with him, she won't go around their house "out of a matter of principle!"

There are varying degrees of Vegetarians though....i have dated 3 veggies and the second one was insane.....she could not look at meat, touch meat have it cooked in the house...it was Hell.

My last partner before my wife was a Veggie but a lot more relaxed...just did not agree with eating meat but never rammed her veggie views down my throat....and to be fair after a long discussion our son was/is being brought up on a balanced diet including white meat.

I've got a veggie mate, who, when the beer goggles come on, loves nothing better than a kebab, and then feels guilty the next day like he's shagged his best mate's wife :D
With a Kebab?????

Ooooch...that chilli sauce must nip a bit!!

It's the greek version of Spanish Fly!

Are Kebabs not Turkish??? is the word Kebab not translated in to Rotating meat in Turkish??

Imagine if he was a Jewish Veggie and it was a Pork Kebab.....that would be like having a 3some with his best mates girl and her mum

As for Spanish Fly.......don’t know what you are talking about mate !!

311BcArLSNL._AA280_.jpg

That's quite a good piece, actually. Nice bouncy style, some lovely little passages. If I was to gripe, and it would be churlish to, it gets a little preachy near the end, needs a bit more direction and a better pay-off line, but it's oozing with potential.

That's quite a good piece, actually. Nice bouncy style, some lovely little passages. If I was to gripe, and it would be churlish to, it gets a little preachy near the end, needs a bit more direction and a better pay-off line, but it's oozing with potential.
I tried to imagine as if Jerry Seinfeld was writing it, but it kind of lapsed into George Costanza towards the end.

Are Kebabs not Turkish??? is the word Kebab not translated in to Rotating meat in Turkish??

Imagine if he was a Jewish Veggie and it was a Pork Kebab.....that would be like having a 3some with his best mates girl and her mum

As for Spanish Fly.......don’t know what you are talking about mate !!

311BcArLSNL._AA280_.jpg

The word kabab comes from Arabic, meaning fried meat.

Doner kebab means rotating meat in Turkish.

I tried to imagine as if Jerry Seinfeld was writing it, but it kind of lapsed into George Costanza towards the end.

Best thing to do, in my experience, is just imagine that you're writing it. That way your style, your viewpoints, your lexicon, everything remains consistent. Besides, if you're coherent enough to put an opinion together, as you clearly are, you may as well make sure that's your own.

It's a good piece and if it doesn't get printed then they're not worth writing for. This is how I deal with rejection, in case anyone from When Saturday Come is reading...

Best thing to do, in my experience, is just imagine that you're writing it. That way your style, your viewpoints, your lexicon, everything remains consistent. Besides, if you're coherent enough to put an opinion together, as you clearly are, you may as well make sure that's your own.

It's a good piece and if it doesn't get printed then they're not worth writing for. This is how I deal with rejection, in case anyone from When Saturday Come is reading...

Wise words - I used to subscribe to your blog on myspace!

I'm a proud but relaxed vegetarian. I have been for 3 years and I can honestly say that I've never had a craving for meat since then. It has opened doors to so many different foods that I'd never have tried before or didn't like before.

I have my views, but I neither preach them, nor force them down people's throats. I expect to have my views and vegetarianism respected by other people, therefore, I fully accept the decision of others to eat meat. It's a two-way street.

I can't say that I like meat being cooked around me in my student house but it doesn't bother me to the extent that I'd ask people not to do it. Neither do I mind people using my oven tray or frying pan to cook meat as long as they have the courtesy to fully clean it afterwards. I dislike animal cruelty but I have no interest in mass marches or the ransacking of animal testing labs.

The people who do preach about it are indeed insecure in their views and give people like me a bad name. Sure, let people know that you have your views if a debate arises, but to look down on meat eaters or to condemn them for not having an interest in the veggie lifestyle is wrong. Each to their own. I expect to have my views and choices accepted or respected, so I'd do the same.

The article is good, if a little biased. Militant veggies would probably take offence to it. I think you misunderstood the 'promoting veganism' thing. In my mind, that's more of an attempt to get it accepted than to force people to adopt the diet. Veganism, much more so than vegetarianism, comes with the hippie, make love not war image. I'm not a vegan and don't plan on becoming one, but this is a bit of an unfair stereotype and I think that the attempt to 'promote veganism' is more of an attempt to shake off this stereotypical label. Just a bad choice of words by this veggie channel/mag.

Back