• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ched Evans?

• Yes

Votes: 158 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 252 56.4%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 37 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those who've said they wouldn't want him here - hypothetically - would your feelings change IF he's appeal was successful & the sentence rescinded, would you support/welcome him or would this whole saga still cast a shadow over him?

If his appeal was successful and the conviction overturned, then I would have no problem at all. Different scenario.

If his appeal was successful and the conviction overturned, then I would have no problem at all. Different scenario.

As I expect from most people tbh. But I also believe there will be some who don't share that view & he would still be tainted. That's obviously their fair opinion, which they're entitled to, I just wondered if anyone here would fall into that category

If the conviction gets overturned and he's found innocent then he'd sign for a team in a higher league. Signing him now is probably the only chance we have of getting him. I'd rather we didn't though :thumbdown:

From now, asking for a thread to be closed is a red rep offence.:smile:

Have to admit why do people want threads closed,if I was offended or bored I personally would swerve that particular thread.

Is he actually being treated any worse than anyone else though?

I work for a major UK Insurance company and if I was convicted of a crime (any crime, not just rape) which lead to a custodial sentence my contract would be terminated immediately. Evans, I believe, continued to be paid during his time inside, a privilege afforded to very few employees.

Upon release from prison I doubt very much my employee would take me back on. In fact I doubt any insurance company would sign an underwriter with a rape conviction on their CV. This is true of many professions in both the private and public sector.

Yes, there is a place for rehabilitation but in a legal sense that is to reintegrate the offender back into society. That reintegration does not automatically mean that person returns to their previous profession or enjoys a similar status to that prior to their conviction. In fact most people, especially sex offenders, have very limited opportunities upon release and need to pursue new or different careers. In that respect Ched Evans is no different.

Absolutely. I don't understand why he has to walk back into the job he was doing. He'll have to be like many others and find another one.

I like many have spent a considerable amount of time reviewing the case and whilst I agree that what Evans did was morally wrong and unacceptable, I do believe there has been a miscarriage of justice.
For example under cross examination the girl in question failed to answer any questions put forward by defence counsel representing Evans.
The general opinion is that the judgement will be overturned within the next 18 months.
It would be sensible for Evans to keep a low profile until this point. If however in the unlikely event that he were to sign for Southend (prior toany retrial) I would welcome him like any other signing.

I like many have spent a considerable amount of time reviewing the case and whilst I agree that what Evans did was morally wrong and unacceptable, I do believe there has been a miscarriage of justice.
For example under cross examination the girl in question failed to answer any questions put forward by defence counsel representing Evans.
The general opinion is that the judgement will be overturned within the next 18 months.
It would be sensible for Evans to keep a low profile until this point. If however in the unlikely event that he were to sign for Southend (prior toany retrial) I would welcome him like any other signing.

Isn't that pretty normal? Especially in an offence like rape.

The victim never accused Ched Evans of rape. She can't remember anything and Evans actually incriminated himself.

Whose general opinion is that the judgement will be overturned? If you read this link that I posted on the previous page (here) you'll see that 98% of cases presented to the CCRC don't see the conviction changed. Statistically it is very very unlikely to change. The blog also highlights that in this case it doesn't seem possible to really conceive any evidence which could be discovered which would change things.

Pubey, it is normal for the defendant not to answer questions, it is unusual for the plaintiff not to answer questions put by the defence.
If you are accusing someone of rape you should know the facts. In this case she didn't and the jury still found him guilty. For this reason it is likely that the case will be eventually overturned.

Pubey, it is normal for the defendant not to answer questions, it is unusual for the plaintiff not to answer questions put by the defence.
Maybe, I've not found anything to say one way or another. One of the legal bods might know.

If you are accusing someone of rape you should know the facts. In this case she didn't and the jury still found him guilty. For this reason it is likely that the case will be eventually overturned.

I see it from completely the other way around. The jury presumed he was innocent, the defence presented their case and the jury was unanimously convinced beyond reasonable doubt that he was guilty. The fact that there was minimal 'physical' evidence and they still found him guilty (in particular for rape, which has a shockingly low conviction rate) only goes to support the strength of the prosecutions case.

Absolutely. I don't understand why he has to walk back into the job he was doing. He'll have to be like many others and find another one.

But the difference is that his previous employers - Sheff Utd - WANTED to give him a job. So did Oldham Athletic. It should be the choice of the employer. Not your choice. With respect it has nothing to do with you. Your opinion is valid but should have no effect on a football club.
Freedom of choice???????????

But the difference is that his previous employers - Sheff Utd - WANTED to give him a job. So did Oldham Athletic. It should be the choice of the employer. Not your choice. With respect it has nothing to do with you. Your opinion is valid but should have no effect on a football club.
Sheffield United considered letting him train with them, they never stated they would sign him - Oldham are the only club that stated they wanted to sign him. The reason that he wasn't signed was put down as a financial decision based on removal of sponsorship. Clubs need income and those who provide the income also have the freedom of choice about whether they want to be associated with a club who employ a rapist. Only 35% of those who voted here were happy with that association and the sponsors of Oldham chose not to fund that association. Sure legally he can sign for a club (in this country, one of the conditions on him serving half a sentence is that he is readily available to be recalled to prison) but that doesn't mean he is suddenly the ideal employee and clubs know that they need to keep their income streams happy as they fund the clubs out of choice too.

I have absolutely no effect on anybody who wants to employ anyone else. However, there are plenty of professions where, if you commit a crime and end up in jail, you lose your job and probably your career as well. You have to find another method of earning a living. The saying I believe is, "If you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas."

Why should a footballer be any different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back