• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What I can't understand

I agree, the thought of 1 months revenue disappearing would certainly not be ingnored, not just be RM but by HMRC and all our other creditors as well as the players and management who would not get paid, Again.

I can see this plan working ,actually, force Ron Martin out by cutting the income of the club to such an extent that it is no even viable for Sainsburys to Underwrite, The whole lot folds up and Bingo no RM.

A few more ways of reducing the income further might need to be considered as well just to make sure he goes.

Yep it's very drastic but the only way. I really don't like seeing the protesters criticised because they are doing more than most of us but it's not going to work. Time to get really tough now and force RM out.

Could the consortium be approached with a view to actioning a plan and would they give certain guarantees to step in should administration be forced upon RM ?

What gets me is how laid back our support seems, had this situation been mirrored at any other club I am sure something would have been done action would have been taken, but time and time again Ron appears with a smoke screen something to dissolve the attitude and the dreamers (and yes I use to be one myself) get taken in once more and mock those who are trying to do something. I hurts when you see people just walking past others who are trying to protest it just feels like nobody cares, you could say the club needs all the money it can get, NO RON needs all the money he can get

We need to be cruel to be kind here the ultimate call for action will be to show the owner i.e Ron that with him running the club Southend is not a returnable investment this is what we need to realise if we get a new ground WE WILL NOT OWN IT!!! now if Ron wanted us to own it why create a separate stadium operating company?

I think some people on here need to take a look at themselves before they harp on about people protesting.

Protesting achieves F*** all tbh. Do you honestly think Ron gives a toss if you protest?? When has protesting done any good in the past?? He wasn't even there to see it anyway!
If you want to protest thats your perogative but don't criticise people who would rather not.

Yep it's very drastic but the only way. I really don't like seeing the protesters criticised because they are doing more than most of us but it's not going to work. Time to get really tough now and force RM out.

Could the consortium be approached with a view to actioning a plan and would they give certain guarantees to step in should administration be forced upon RM ?

From the turnout of protesters last night, and the decent atmosphere for those in the ground I think such a process for getting RM doesnt have any momentum.

Theres nothing that can be done to force him out and even administration wont guarantee it.

Apologies Rich, it was meant say "How else could RM dealt with the severe cash flow issues and massive expenditure this year" .

I guess as a majority of us do not know the ins and out of the contracts or the laws regarding employment in this area, we are somewhat limited to what we can propose that would actually work.

Maybe instead of running a call centre to keep calling people about the Blues Lottery he used the resources to provide - Sex or dating lines as this could produce a better return.

Well it is but it's the length of contracts which have crippled us more than the wages themselves. When Barrett signed that contract players were getting paid, because Ron Martin and his companies were in a position to cover any cashflow shortages we'd have. No cash in the bank just before the payroll is due to run? No problems, just move some cash around from elsewhere.

The trouble has been caused by those contracts still being in place long after our income has bottomed out and at a time where there's no cash in any of Ron Martin's other companies to meet any shortfalls that we have.

Thats true and in that scenario would have been able to get rid of the top earners at the beginning of this season if they had shorter contracts, which would have been the right thing to do financially, but would have led to huge uproar back in August when RM let our best players go as the financial issues wouldnt have been as obvious to supporters back then.

So RM would still have been slaughtered. Who would run a football club!

The main thing now is that Sturrock is building the team based on current budgets so at least we are starting off at the right point now.

Administration will not get rid of RM as he is still a major creditor and will probably have control when it comes to the CVA.
Anyway income withdrawal of the magnitude you are suggesting (no one turning up to games) would not bring about administration it would bring about Liquidation , which would get rid of RM

The protesters are doing as much as they can to get Ron out, I agree, but I see little planning for the future post RM ?

Agree with previous poster that Simon Francis of Southend is being courted by both Notts County and Charlton Athletic. Charlton and Bournemouth also want Southend United's young striker Matt Paterson.
Crystal Palace are thought to be interested in Stuart O'Keefe who recently left Southend after submitting his 14 days notice to terminate his contract due to not being paid! Paul Sturrock will offer Louis Soares (ex Aldershot) and Rhys Evans (goalkeeper) pre contract deals. (cannot sign anyone properly until embargo is lifted).
Simon Francis expected to sign for charlton this week. Another Southend player on his way to the valley is 20 year old Matt Paterson for £120k

Most likely untrue

Just abit of news i found

Last edited:
The thing about contracts is that they are entirely negotiable. Picture the scene...

Southend recover well under Sturrock and return to the lofty heights of the Championship. We are still at Roots Hall due to further delays with the stadium... Sainsburys are hopping mad but still waiting for some piece of legislation to go through so that the compulsory purchase of the pizza shop can be completed and the block demolished. However, that is still some months away. They are still bankrolling us.

Therefore we are still trying to compete in a decrepit ground with limited income and certainly not any more than a potential 9,000 fans. The whole Ron/Tilson debacle has left about 1,000 absolutely determined never to give RM another penny of their hard earned dosh and have boycotted Sainsburys for Morrisons.

We therefore cannot compete on wages with the Championship clubs who pay 3-4 times per week for squad players than what we could afford for our top earner. However, Sturrock pulls a few strings and gets a few startlingly decent pro's to come and have talks with the club.

PS - "Sorry, guys, the club is (still) on the verge of great things, stadium in the wings, all looks rosy, but we can only afford £1500 per week."

Players agent - "Then there had better be a lumpy signing on fee".

PS - "No chance, the clubs skint. But we can offer a 3 year contract which, at this players time of career, will give some added security for him and his family."

<Players agent and player confer>.

Agent - "Make it 3 year with an option on a further year at players request."

PS - "Should be ok. But I will have to include a relegation clause."

<BANG>

(Sound of door closing as player and agent hastily leave...)

It probably isn't going to happen. When we punch above our weight we need to try and get players here using any means at our disposal. We can't compete with the Coventrys, Leicesters, Derbys, Southamptons, Burnleys, Hulls... all with new or redeveloped stadia, bigger support, better facilities. That's why they were on long contracts in the first place! They wouldn't have come here if it was only a year or if we put a relegation clause in!

There's certainly some truth in that, but you can negotiate it a lot better than that. You don't just offer a relegation wage deduction, you pair it up alongside a promotion wage increase. By pegging it to the league you are in, you keep you costs more in line with your income and you incentivise players by offering them the chance to share in the success of the club. The increase for promotion to the Premier$hite is likely to be bigger than the decrease for relegation.

If the player (or rather his agent) is still concerned, that's why you cultivate a reputation for looking after players. So that when Nicky Bailey wants to make an upward move to Charlton, or Lee Barnard to Southampton (or Sean Clohessy wants to move to league football from Bath City), you don't stand in their way. Develop a reputation for developing players and enhancing their careers and use it as a selling point. If they are still concerned, add in relegation release clauses, whereby if you are relegated, you will accept any offer above an agreed amount. There will be resistance, but if you weed out those who are only after the money, so much the better. There will be good, hungry players who will jump at the chance of bettering themselves.

There's certainly some truth in that, but you can negotiate it a lot better than that. You don't just offer a relegation wage deduction, you pair it up alongside a promotion wage increase. By pegging it to the league you are in, you keep you costs more in line with your income and you incentivise players by offering them the chance to share in the success of the club. The increase for promotion to the Premier$hite is likely to be bigger than the decrease for relegation.

If the player (or rather his agent) is still concerned, that's why you cultivate a reputation for looking after players. So that when Nicky Bailey wants to make an upward move to Charlton, or Lee Barnard to Southampton (or Sean Clohessy wants to move to league football from Bath City), you don't stand in their way. Develop a reputation for developing players and enhancing their careers and use it as a selling point. If they are still concerned, add in relegation release clauses, whereby if you are relegated, you will accept any offer above an agreed amount. There will be resistance, but if you weed out those who are only after the money, so much the better. There will be good, hungry players who will jump at the chance of bettering themselves.

I have just been thinking the same approach, which will cater for whenever we sign players that they are in line with the position we find ourselves in.

I do not take the whole people on here would be up in arms , at the end of the day people on here are not privy to the contracts and do not make the contractual decisions. And I am sure more people have altered their opinion of RM due to the last seasons financial mess and the subsequent handling of it then would have done if he stuck to his original mantra and not gone chasing the dream. Players are not irreplaceable no matter what we think. All football clubs need to learn that stability long term goals are more important then quick wins. If we were not in a position to stay in the Championship then never mind lets build to a future when we can.

Lets create contracts that help not hinder our primary goal of being a sustainable club and the level we find ourselves and improve allround so we can progress safely.

I have just been thinking the same approach, which will cater for whenever we sign players that they are in line with the position we find ourselves in.

I do not take the whole people on here would be up in arms , at the end of the day people on here are not privy to the contracts and do not make the contractual decisions. And I am sure more people have altered their opinion of RM due to the last seasons financial mess and the subsequent handling of it then would have done if he stuck to his original mantra and not gone chasing the dream. Players are not irreplaceable no matter what we think. All football clubs need to learn that stability long term goals are more important then quick wins. If we were not in a position to stay in the Championship then never mind lets build to a future when we can.

Lets create contracts that help not hinder our primary goal of being a sustainable club and the level we find ourselves and improve allround so we can progress safely.

At the risk of going all Vic Jobson, if people on here are up in arms, you're probably doing something right....:whistling:

Back