• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

But other than Bernie hinting at problems to come in the summer. Who has said we are "doomed" ??

This summer will be as difficult as any other. What's the fuss about?

But as we all know, the decision the council give on 10th April is massive. They know that and we know that. Are you suggesting we lobby the council in the run up?.....just like we all did last time.

10th April is also final season ticket deadline!!:'(

I am one of the fans to back out and let the club sort themselves out, for now, I want to enjoy my first trip to Wembley ... my next trip to Wembley is Poland Vs England ... hopefully 3rd time if we get into play off lol.

I am one of the fans to back out and let the club sort themselves out, for now, I want to enjoy my first trip to Wembley ... my next trip to Wembley is Poland Vs England ... hopefully 3rd time if we get into play off lol.

I do have a soft spot for the Poles but I really do think it is going a bit far if they adopt Wembley as their home stadium

Lol, I started following Southend since I come here over 10 years ago! There will be 10 of us going to Wembley next weekend and I can't wait.

One of our most influential posters and supporters has been saying lately that he no longer worries said:
I've long since given up trying to get my head around the permutations but I struggle to see any happy ending. If a new stadium is built that is owned by Ron or his company and we have to pay rent. Surely we will then be in a position like Coventry and merely be tenants and no way of mAking decent revenue, as opposed to new grounds like reading and Swansea where the clubs are able. To derive income from the other commercial activities. If the stadium does get built and roots hall sold, Ron can charge us whatever he likes in rent and has no incentive to write it off like he has been. So supporting Ron. Doesn't seem to bring a bright future, neither does not supporting him. Such a pity when you see what the likes of Wigan, Bolton, reading etc are achieving and our chance is lost. I was speaking about this with a friend lately and we both agreed our enthusiasm would probably be fired if we did start afresh at. South church park or wherever.

For that reason I can definitely understand the view that there are more important things in life.

I've long since given up trying to get my head around the permutations but I struggle to see any happy ending. If a new stadium is built that is owned by Ron or his company and we have to pay rent. Surely we will then be in a position like Coventry and merely be tenants and no way of mAking decent revenue, as opposed to new grounds like reading and Swansea where the clubs are able. To derive income from the other commercial activities. If the stadium does get built and roots hall sold, Ron can charge us whatever he likes in rent and has no incentive to write it off like he has been. So supporting Ron. Doesn't seem to bring a bright future, neither does not supporting him. Such a pity when you see what the likes of Wigan, Bolton, reading etc are achieving and our chance is lost. I was speaking about this with a friend lately and we both agreed our enthusiasm would probably be fired if we did start afresh at. South church park or wherever.

For that reason I can definitely understand the view that there are more important things in life.

Top post!

I myself have resigned to a "what will be will be" attitude after having a season ticket for over 25 years

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge there has NEVER been any definitive figures given of how we will suddenly go from losing 80k+ a month to a solvent business by magically moving to the new ground. Plus as mentioned above the rent issue will be a real problem if it is adhered to, but again I don't think this has ever been clarified. As far as I can see we are 8 miles up the brown smelly creek without the new stadium complex and 7.99 miles with it.

Oh and if the figures are available for our financial transition I would be interested to see how we will achieve them with the only money making side of the ground not being built.........

I'm sure someone else will be able to dig out the relevant thread but RM has gone on record saying that the revenue streams from within the stadium (so I take it Conferencing, Food outlets, Hotel?) will accrue to the Club. If he succeeds in building his Empire, he will be making plenty from the retail surrounding the Stadium. If we go bust, he is left with a pretty useless hunk of concrete in the middle of his nice park - it really isn't in his interests to let that happen. If he moves us to Fosset's, then he has to do it in such a way as to leave us at break-even at the least.

Ron knows better than most what an Albatross a loss-making league club is!

Top post!

I myself have resigned to a "what will be will be" attitude after having a season ticket for over 25 years

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge there has NEVER been any definitive figures given of how we will suddenly go from losing 80k+ a month to a solvent business by magically moving to the new ground. Plus as mentioned above the rent issue will be a real problem if it is adhered to, but again I don't think this has ever been clarified. As far as I can see we are 8 miles up the brown smelly creek without the new stadium complex and 7.99 miles with it.

Oh and if the figures are available for our financial transition I would be interested to see how we will achieve them with the only money making side of the ground not being built.........

So you prefer certain death now to possible death in the future? See my post above to number11 about what RM has said about the revenue streams.

Top post!

Even topper post.

So you prefer certain death now to possible death in the future? See my post above to number11 about what RM has said about the revenue streams.

What the "we will make money from it and everything will be fine" comments?

Any fool can say things like that, providing detailed information about how you would actually plan on doing it is another matter entirely

I have no desire to see this club fail in anyway, however unless there is a serious injection of capital into the project then how on earth is it ever going to get built? And we all know that there is not going to be one as it would mean RM having to lose out on his potential returns, and to be fair I can understand why that would be a massive stumbling block.

I just don't see a way out of this

Lol, I started following Southend since I come here over 10 years ago! There will be 10 of us going to Wembley next weekend and I can't wait.

I was at the Polska v England match in the National stadium- you know the one with the dodgy roof

Also saw the match at the old Legia Stadium a few years back - nice avatar by the way

What the "we will make money from it and everything will be fine" comments?

Any fool can say things like that, providing detailed information about how you would actually plan on doing it is another matter entirely

I have no desire to see this club fail in anyway, however unless there is a serious injection of capital into the project then how on earth is it ever going to get built? And we all know that there is not going to be one as it would mean RM having to lose out on his potential returns, and to be fair I can understand why that would be a massive stumbling block.

I just don't see a way out of this

To be fair, RM has a business plan and if we get to the new stadium it is perfectly reasonable to suppose we will see at least a moderate increase in crowds, and also reasonable to suppose that there will be additional income from the Conferencing facilities, the Food outlets (neither of which Coventry shared in) and the Hotel. And RM has publicly stated that (yes, I know) that those streams accrue to SUFC. The Council have or are putting a time limit on when the fourth stand needs to be built. Sainsburys have too much invested in this now to not let it happen, and RM will get the money to build it if he gets the planning, because there is clearly money to be made from it - why else were the Blue Knights so keen on getting their hands on SEL instead of just the club?

Even topper post.

What the **** is the matter with everyone? Get a grip folks this is OUR football club we are talking about. I never realised what a defeatist bunch some of you were! While there is life there is hope - for heaven's sake, man up and make one last effort to get this club into the new stadium. It's emails we are asking for, not storming the beaches of Normandy in your y-fronts armed with sticks of celery!

I was watching "47 Days Adrift" about 3 US aircrew in the pacific in a Life raft. Two of them survived, and one just literally gave up and died. The expert said afterwards that it was his defeatist attitude that killed him

Don't let your awful defeatist attitudes kill our club! If SUFC does die, at least make sure you can look in a mirror and say "I couldn't have done any more"!

Trouble is if in a years time you don't have the option to purchase a season ticket again because there is no Southend United, you will be sick as a pig you didn't do anything. No more getting to the ground early for a beer, no taking your kids to games, no looking at the results to see if YOUR team won because you are on holiday. No more Shrimperzone.

There will be a massive void in all of our lives and I really can't imagine life without SUFC

100% behind you Tom. I, along with virtually everyone else, would prefer someone other than Ron Martin as owner of my club. Sadly, that is a choice that is not open to us, we rise or fall with Ron Martin and for me the best interests of Southend United are clearly the former. If you ask me whether his plans will come to fruition, I honestly don't know but for me it is up to every supporter to do all they can to try and ensure their success..........the alternative is TOO awful to imagine. I've followed this club for 57 years and I have no wish to see it disappear.
People can talk about AFC Southend, a phoenix rising from the ashes. This may or may not work but in the harsh financial realities of this epoch and the continuing struggles of lower league clubs, I have my doubts. I fear that I would never live to see the successor of my beloved club return to the League. It's Ron Martin or it's, more than likely, NOTHING.

Problem is SUFC is insolvent if it stays at Roots Hall and will be very quickly insolvent at Fossets because when the Sainsbury money stops ( when they get their new store) there will be nowhere to go. Default of HMRC will follow and then liquidation. Honestly hope I am completely wrong but ...................

Problem is SUFC is insolvent if it stays at Roots Hall and will be very quickly insolvent at Fossets because when the Sainsbury money stops ( when they get their new store) there will be nowhere to go. Default of HMRC will follow and then liquidation. Honestly hope I am completely wrong but ...................

Why do you think like that? New stadium with new income streams has to be vastly preferable to old stadium with high maintenance and no income streams.

The only club which has moved into a new Stadium and gone bust was Darlington, who didn't have a hope of coping with a stadium which was (in terms of their ability to attract fans when surrounded by five or is it six much larger teams within 25 miles) something like 4 times too big for them

Coventry have messed up because they were paying a massive rental on a stadium from which they only generated ticket money - the Chairman who brokered that deal makes Ron Martin look like a Footsie 100 candidate.

Every other club which has moved has improved its fan base, and improved its finances.

I don't know if thas has been done before but.Phil brown is mates with Russell Bartlett who took hull from div2 and administration to the kc stadium debt free and the premiership.Another property deveolper like uncle Ron but with a track record,is he waiting in the wings?He does live in essex.

Back