• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Without giving out False Hope...

EastStandBlue

Life President
Now that Peter Clarke's transfer is signed, sealed and delivered (He's Ours) Our side is looking more and more complete by the day. A choice back line of Hammell Barrett Clarke and Francis looks incredibly strong, and with a 2nd Back four of Wilson Sodje Spinner Hunt we have great strength in depth here.

For once we have 2 very capable Goalkeepers at this level. Flahavan is, well, Flavs and looks nothing short (No pun intended) of quality. Collis provides the height of the pair and has proven himself to be equally adept at shot stopping.

Midfield could be improved with the signing of another attacking, creative spark but things look fine here. JCR Gutts Maher and Gower had great games against Pompey and Gutts completely ran the show, getting stuck in when needed whilst laying great passes to Freddy. Cole as an impact sub is great, whereas Smith, Hunt, Bradbury andpossibly Moussa, Ledgester and Kearns could come in if they prove themselves.

Up front we all know we need a forward, but first choice looks fantastic if everything is bang on form. Ricketts should prove to be a great partner for Freddy, whilst Lawson looks on fire and Bradbury's first touch and spread of the ball is still fantastic.

I still think we're in for a season of struggle and grinded results, but everything to look forward to is positive. Personally, i can't wait until the new Stadium is built and we have a fair amount of financial clout for this league... Tilson's done this much on a limited budget, I'd love to see what he could do with some real financial muscle.

We need a striker badly, and a proven one aswell....

What's the chances of another signing today, we seem to do it in two's....

Other than Hooper I mean...if he signs of course...

All we need now is Robinson and Agogo to sign and i'll be a very happy man...

Over to you Ron, Tilly and Brushy...

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Aug. 02 2006,14:53)]We need a striker badly, and a proven one aswell....

wink.gif
Couldn't agree more,

I would like so see some news of Hopper soon....If nothing else other than as a back up striker.

Aggogo or Robinson would be a dream come true. Dont really fancy Bradbury or Lawson to start that much but if its got to be one the Lee gets the nod just for me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Aug. 02 2006,15:53)]We need a striker badly, and a proven one aswell....

wink.gif
shouldn't think there's no much left in the coffers after the signing of Peter Clarke . . . i think that another high-profile signing carrying a hefty transfer fee is unlikely

Al

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zulu_shrimper @ Aug. 02 2006,15:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Aug. 02 2006,15:53)]We need a striker badly, and a proven one aswell....

wink.gif
shouldn't think there's no much left in the coffers after the signing of Peter Clarke . . . i think that another high-profile signing carrying a hefty transfer fee is unlikely

Al
Very true Zulu...

But...

Why blow our entire budget on getting a defender in, when lets be honest, we could of probably survived without another one...

I feel there is another big money move to come, for a midfielder or striker....maybe even both...

Watch this space...

wink.gif

Yes I hope if we were going to spend 'big' money it wouldnt be on a centre back, however he does look like a good signing.

I think we could end up getting someone like Lee Barnard from Spurs on loan. We're in a far better bargaining position now and Tilly/Brush made it quite clear they were going to reserve games at the tail end of last season...

In terms of survival, I think a defender was a far wiser choice to spend a lot of money on than a striker.  In terms of pushing on, maybe a striker could have been better but I'm pretty sure without Clarke's signing we would be a bit short on the ground at the back.

I agree though.  Looks like a very solid squad with a couple of the youth team maybe coming through to give us depth up front.

Defender is more important than a striker in my book. If he dont concede we cant lose. Would love a striker and a loan deal seems most likely but based on what I have read so far I am delighted with the signing.

DtS
suspect.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EastStandBlue @ Aug. 02 2006,15:19)]I think we could end up getting someone like Lee Barnard from Spurs on loan. We're in a far better bargaining position now and Tilly/Brush made it quite clear they were going to reserve games at the tail end of last season...
If he comes here on loan I will **** my pants...

The yid at work dont stop talking about how good he is...

But, he reckons theres very little chance of him being loaned out as Spurs are very short of strikers at present.

sad.gif

Well, not exactly. Mido out, Berbatov in and they're pretty much as you were from last season. Anyway, we'll see.

I wonder if Kevin Kyle of Sunderland is somebody Tilly has looked at...

Seems to be out of favour and Luton are sniffing around him by all accounts...

Anyone rate him?.

rock.gif

Another young Striker i would absolutely love to see here is Dan Sturridge. Is at that age when the influential strikers go out on Loan deals, Similar to how Defoe went on loan to Bournemouth and would be a massive bonus.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Aug. 02 2006,15:48)]If he comes here on loan I will **** my pants...
ongoing problem me ole mucker?
suspect.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EastStandBlue @ Aug. 02 2006,14:49)]I still think we're in for a season of struggle and grinded results...
I for one do not feel the struggle is going to be too harsh. I believe with our blend of experience and potential we are a match for a good number of sides in the Championship, including Stoke. I reckon we are good for eighth from bottom without ever looking over our shoulders at the relegation battle, whereas Col******r will get a nose bleed looking up at our lofty height!.
smile.gif

Check it out. End of season positions!

1. Leeds United.
2. Crystal Palace.
3. West B. A..
4. Birmingham City.
5. Southampton.
6. Sunderland.
7. Coventry.
8. Burnley.
9. Wolves.
10. Cardiff.
11. Norwich.
12. Hull City.
13. Leicester.
14. Sheffield Wednesday.
15. Luton Town.
16. Ipswich.
17. SOUTHEND UNITED.
18. Stoke City.
19. Derby County.
20. Preston North End.
21. Barnsley.
22. Queers Park Rangers.
23. Plymouth Argyle.
24. Col******r United.( First team in country to be relegated).

Its official!!
biggrin.gif

Don't know why we're even going to bother playing. Seems you've already calculated it all!

biggrin.gif

(Although personally I'd have Cov and Leicester higher but Sunderland more midtableish)

I was going through the squad at work earlier and to be honest the only position where I really think we're struggling for bodies now is centre-midfield. I really think we could do with someone else in there to really push Maher & Gutts alongside Jay Smith. Its a real shame that Bentley left because he's definately the one player we haven't been able to replace so far.

Up front I'm not as worried. I'd like to see one more signing there. If we get Hooper then I'd be tempted to call it a day in terms of new strikers as whats the point in having guys like Lawson & Hooper in the squad if they're never going to get a game? Those two as back up for Eastwood, Ricketts & Bradbury looks fine to me. If we don't sign Hooper then I'd like to see us go out and bring in an experianced goalscorer, preferably Junior Agogo or Michael Bridges.

Back