• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

World Athletics Championships

Back to these Worlds, a mixed morning for Britain with two of the three in the Women's 1,500m bombing out, but all the blokes going through in the 400 and 200.

Three potential medals for GB tonight with Ohuruogu in the 400m, Greene in the 400m hurdles and Idowu in the triple jump. Looking forward to it!

The improvement in the GB female athletics team has been dramatic in recent years, although I can't see Ohuruogo repeating her win of two years ago or Beijing for that matter.

I'm never sure with Idowu, and I've been dead inpressed with Dai Greene. As you said mate, proper sport.

The improvement in the GB female athletics team has been dramatic in recent years, although I can't see Ohuruogo repeating her win of two years ago or Beijing for that matter.

I'm never sure with Idowu, and I've been dead inpressed with Dai Greene. As you said mate, proper sport.

I'm really liking the 2/1 on offer with Betfair that Ohuruogu medals. I very much doubt she'll get gold but she is a proven championship performer, having got gold at the last three major outdoor competitions in which she has competed.

Idowu is looking a bit vulnerable to me, but it's not a particularly strong field. Greene looks good for a bronze.

Both your & YB's assessments are a bit harsh on, for instance, Kenenisa Bekele - who has just won his 4th consecutive World Championship gold medal at 10,000m, who is double Olympic Champion at 5,000m and 10,000m and who also won the 10,000m Olympic Gold in Athens.

Bekele might not be as fast as Bolt over 100m, but he's a man that can make 10km look exciting with the sheer intensity of his lapping speed, as he winds it up towards the end. He has won every major event at every distance he has entered in the last 4 years - at 3,000, 5,000 and 10,000m.

Bolt is a phenomenon, and there's no question he's already vying with Michael Johnson and Jesse Owens to be seen as the greatest sprinters of all time... but greatest athlete does the likes of Zatopek, Bekele and Gebreselassie a big disservice. The lack of glamour surrounding their events does not make their achievements any less astonishing.

After all... and here's a bizarre but amusing way of looking at it: I could probably (just!) run 100m quicker than Bolt can do 200m.

Bekele can complete 10km considerably faster than I can manage 5km - in fact, Bekele has got time to sit down and have a pint before I've finished my 5km.

:dizzy:

Bekele is a great athlete, but figures like Ali and Pele transcended their sport. Bekele hasn't, whilst if Bolt hasn't quite done it yet, it can only be a matter of time.

Bekele hasn't obliterated the record books like Bolt has. Bolt has broken the 100m record three times now (Bekele has broken the 10,000m twice) but he's taken 0.16seconds off the world record. Given that Bolt runs a hundredth of the distance, that is the equivalent of Bekele taking 16 seconds off Gabrselassie's time, rather than the 5 seconds he has.

The time Bolt set on Sunday shaved an incredible 0.11 seconds off his own record. That is the most time that has ever come off the 100m WR since electronic timing allowed us to time that exactly. That is truly sensational, in the way Bob Beamon's long jump record was. Bekele and Gabrselassie are all-time greats but it is difficult to distinguish between their achievements. Bolt's time is like Bradman's batting average: he is that far ahead of the rest of the competition.

Jenny Meadows takes bronze in the "womens" 800m behind the South African geezer-bird.

Bloody hell, 'she' was something else eh? Reminded me of when Maria Mutola burst on to the scene in the early 90s. Still, well done La Meadows, a most welcome surprise.

Another good night in Berlin - the women's high hurdles was a thriller and as for Robert Harting going properly spastic when he won the discus, that was superb.

That's a good comparison. Prior to that I think Andy Townsend's double Jarmila Kratchvilova who I believe still holds the world record.

That was a great moment for Harting.

Bloody hell, 'she' was something else eh? Reminded me of when Maria Mutola burst on to the scene in the early 90s. Still, well done La Meadows, a most welcome surprise.

Another good night in Berlin - the women's high hurdles was a thriller and as for Robert Harting going properly spastic when he won the discus, that was superb.

Would have been even better had he dropped that mascot on it's bonce!

Will Sharman storms into the mens 110m hurdles final. Will was on my course at uni, I'm a absolutely chuffed to bits for him, he's a top guy.

Also Jenny Meadows, schwing!

On. My. God. Over a tenth of a second smashed off the 200m record. Bolt is unbelievable!

Apparently he's tired!?!?! It's just ridiculous how good he is!

So would I be if I had run that far. :dim:

Michael Johnson is of the opinion that Bolt's records will stand for years, suggesting that the man who takes them may not yet be born.

What price the Jamaicans winning the 4 x 100m relay in world record time?

Back