• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Would you want Southend to become a football super power.

Options

• L1 side

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • L2 side

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
You're saying if you desire a team who has some success why not support West Ham? Well, because I'm not from London but Southend? I want more than the CCC, I can't see how people are happy to settle for mediocrity. Don't get me wrong, I quite like being a small club, but that doesn't mean I don't desire successive promotions and shots at the top leagues?

Spot on...what he said.

It really riles me when people are happy to stand for mediocrity...why shouldn't we dream of one day gracing the Premiership. Why should I have to go over to the dark side and don claret and blue should I wish to watch Premiership football. I have no roots in the East End, nor would I ever want to...my affinity is with Southend, not the Hamsters. In an ideal World, we would be the number one team of choice in South Essex, and you would hardly ever see plastic replica-kit wearing Premiership fans - plastic Hamsters, Chelski and Arse fans are the main reason it takes ages to get served in Varsity on a matchday!!

But unfortunately we will never achieve this under our current to-ss-er of a chairman Ron Martin. We will always be what we already are, nothing more nothing less, unless we do get a bigger backer.
I'd love to compete every week with championship clubs its the most exciting an competitive league by far.

But unfortunately we will never achieve this under our current to-ss-er of a chairman Ron Martin. We will always be what we already are, nothing more nothing less, unless we do get a bigger backer.
I'd love to compete every week with championship clubs its the most exciting an competitive league by far.

Try putting an arguement together without resorting to insults, it's not that difficult if you have a reasonable point of view.
The new stadium, when it happens will trigger the investment in the team, which will then attract more support, which will lead to more money coming in, which will lead to investment in the team etc etc

An established prem side would be pretty immense. I think the journey towards the prem would be more interesting than actually being there

Southend making it into the Prem would be the end for me. Couldn't be mithered with the obvious hike in ticket prices and seeing our shiny new bowlesque "stadium" full at 2pm (if the even takes place on a Saturday) anymore due to sky and TV rights. Tell me I'm aiming low but I wouldn't want Southend to become another Bolton/Reading/Wigan with fans who just clap, anybody who does needs their head examined. At least in division 1/championship you get real football, not "footy". I might be looking at it all with a bit of nostsalgia, but I've seen the present and future of the game in England and it's ****!

Southend making it into the Prem would be the end for me. Couldn't be mithered with the obvious hike in ticket prices and seeing our shiny new bowlesque "stadium" full at 2pm (if the even takes place on a Saturday) anymore due to sky and TV rights. Tell me I'm aiming low but I wouldn't want Southend to become another Bolton/Reading/Wigan with fans who just clap, anybody who does needs their head examined. At least in division 1/championship you get real football, not "footy". I might be looking at it all with a bit of nostsalgia, but I've seen the present and future of the game in England and it's ****!

whats the point then? your seriously saying that if we were a settled championship side you wouldnt want us to have at least one season in the top flight? Southend United in the premier league? even only once would be ****ing awesome!!
we all love being the perpetual underdog, but surely saying it would be the end is a bit crazy.

whats the point then? your seriously saying that if we were a settled championship side you wouldnt want us to have at least one season in the top flight? Southend United in the premier league? even only once would be ****ing awesome!!
we all love being the perpetual underdog, but surely saying it would be the end is a bit crazy.

To have just one season in the top flight is pretty much the ultimate dream (or should be anyway) I would take out a loan if I meant I could go to every game!

Here's a good article in the newspaper today: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article7132369.ece

Whilst we're no Blackpool, I wonder if 10 years down the line we'll be able to say:

“Those were the bad days. There were always plans for super-stadiums but no one really believed it, then slowly this new dawn emerged and there’s been no looking back. We all had our doubts but the chairman’s honoured his pledges.”

Back