• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
WEST HAM ARE DOOMED

After the excitement and drama of the weekend, here was the comedown. Manchester City against Manchester United was a tense, gritty battle of attrition. Tottenham against Chelsea was an explosive clash, packed with action. This was like watching a game of chicken between a sports car and a squeaky shopping trolley filled with tin cans. For the first few moments you wondered if there might be a shock, given that the sports car had broken down so often this season, but then there was the roar of an engine, a very loud bang and now there‘s cans all over the place. On reflection, perhaps this wasn’t a very fair fight.

West Ham were abysmal, a disgrace to the fans who had travelled the length of the country to watch them. They looked bereft of ideas, their heads hung so low that they risked tripping over their own ears. Never mind the stomach for a fight, this team didn’t even have the stomach for an argument about the washing-up. It’s hard to know where to start, but let’s try anyway. If Rob Green is England’s number one then his country is doomed, especially if Matthew Upson is playing in front of him. Green is a fine shot-stopper, but his positional awareness is woeful and he is dreadful in the air. One attempt to claim a cross in the first half was so disastrous that he refused to leave his line for the rest of the game, a policy that led to Liverpool‘s freakish third goal. Upson is often referred to as ‘the poor man’s John Terry’, but that shouldn’t mean that when Terry plays badly, he is obliged to play even worse. As one of the senior players he is supposed to lead the back-line. In form like this, it’s amazing he was able to lead them back to the dressing room at half-time without getting lost.

The whole team played with such a total lack of commitment and fight that you suspect many of them have already shaken hands on lucrative transfers to more stable environments. I pity Gianfranco Zola. It’s horrible to see a rookie manager have his career dashed against the rocks of a club as insanely mis-managed as West Ham. In five years in the top flight, the ever-shifting cast of characters in the Upton Park boardroom have wasted a fortune in the transfer market, they have undermined and constructively dismissed an experienced manager who gave them solidity and they have betrayed the tens of thousands of supporters with their incompetence. The only thing that can save them now is Hull City somehow contriving to be even worse.

HOW DID LIVERPOOL LOOK?

They were perfectly adequate, but that wasn’t hard. Without the injured Fernando Torres, David Ngog was called into action and he played exceptionally well. He’ll never be in the Spaniard’s class, but he does have his qualities. His movement off the ball is intelligent, he puts himself in good positions and his finish for Liverpool’s second goal was well-taken. Behind him, Steven Gerrard gave another improved performance in the centre of midfield and Yossi Benayoun, restored to the left-wing, shone against his old club. Mind you, I suspect that Liverpool could have fielded Martin Peters on Monday night and he’d have shone against his old club too….

WHY THE LOW CROWD?

This was Liverpool’s smallest crowd in five years, but it’s hardly surprising. Barring a cataclysmic loss of form from Tottenham and Manchester City, Liverpool’s hopes of finishing fourth have all but vanished. Throw in the recession, the Volcano flight ban blocking the legions of Irish and Scandinavian supporters, and the fact that the game was televised, and it’s easy to see why there were so many empty seats at Anfield.

I've always said Upson is a liability... If Capello's true to his word, it has to be Dawson ahead of Upson on that flight to Jo'burg.

I've always said Upson is a liability... If Capello's true to his word, it has to be Dawson ahead of Upson on that flight to Jo'burg.

I'd take Dawson and / or King ahead of Upson. So many times this season he has been at fault for goals, that the likes of Shawcross and Jagielka must be ahead of him on current form...

Yep Upson and Green shouldnt be anywhere hear the England squad, theyve both had poor seasons. Dawson and Jagielka as back up centre backs, Hart and Robinson as back up goalies.

Would be of some comfort if the Spammers went down but the fact is Hull are even worse and with Ian Dowie at the helm dont have much hope either.

I'd take Dawson and / or King ahead of Upson. So many times this season he has been at fault for goals, that the likes of Shawcross and Jagielka must be ahead of him on current form...

I'm a huge fan of Shawcross. If he can show some international pedigree he'd compliment Ferdinand perfectly with his no-nonsense approach. Unfortunately, I think this tournament is too soon for him and ideally he'll be picked up by a top six club this Summer.

Id take Leon Cort over Upson.

No matter how bad Southend are doing, I always reflect on the west Ham scum and it makes life better.

Here's hoping for a Hull win tonight (never thought I'd find myself typing those words)

Shame Hull lost tonight. Good news is that both goals came from English players and great news is that one was a penalty!

Was reviewing the Stats the other day and there seems to be a repetitive theme. The best 5 central defenders that the country has are Terry, Ferdinand, Upson, Dawson and King. These topped all defensive stats. Upson had won the highest percentage of tackles. Dawson made the most interceptions per game.

I'm a huge fan of Shawcross. If he can show some international pedigree he'd compliment Ferdinand perfectly with his no-nonsense approach. Unfortunately, I think this tournament is too soon for him and ideally he'll be picked up by a top six club this Summer.

Agree with that. Very good defender.

Upson is gash. I still can't understand how he is near the England squad, 3rd choice infact.

You simply can't take King to the World Cup. If we get to the final thats about 8 games in a month, how many would King actually be fit for? What games do you rest him for? King is an excellent centre half, better than the likes of Upson, Lescott, Dawson etc, but his fitness says you can't take him.

The spammers and Hull would be the dream duo for relegation, shame it doesn't look like its going to happen!

Agree with that. Very good defender.

Upson is gash. I still can't understand how he is near the England squad, 3rd choice infact.

You simply can't take King to the World Cup. If we get to the final thats about 8 games in a month, how many would King actually be fit for? What games do you rest him for? King is an excellent centre half, better than the likes of Upson, Lescott, Dawson etc, but his fitness says you can't take him.

But you could take King as back up to Terry and Ferdinand who would be first choice. You dont tend to sub your centre backs unless there is an injury so as a member in a 23 man squad who may only play one or 2 games Id still rather have him on the plane then Upson.

But you could take King as back up to Terry and Ferdinand who would be first choice. You dont tend to sub your centre backs unless there is an injury so as a member in a 23 man squad who may only play one or 2 games Id still rather have him on the plane then Upson.

I'd rather have him on the plane than Upson, don't get me wrong but picture the scene.

Our first game in the World Cup and Rio's dodgy back starts playing up so King comes on alongside Terry. Now, if he plays the first game, he won't be fit for the second game because of his knees. That'll mean Lescott comes in alongside Terry. Then the third game King comes back in, then the next game he misses. You just can't keep switching the side around like that.

Back