• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

nonsense, webby is a legend no doubt but I still maintain that tillys style of footy was more pleasing on the eye, and two ldv finals and eight years as a player puts him ahead of webby IMO

It is a matter of opinion, but tilly had eight years as a player and to be honest was lucky to last that long. was never really first choice on a regular basis and to be voted in the best 11 was an absolute joke. the problem is that people too often look at the immediate past, especially the younger fans, and not at all the history thats gone b4 it. this club has been in exsitence for 100 plus years and without history there would be no club. people need to look at the bigger picture and not just go on and on and on about the wonderful tilly. yes we had some great times under him and for that we thank him but people need to move on. two ldv finals that we lost both, a lucky play off victory over lincoln that flavs was our man of the match and one win over man utd does not mae him a complete legend in my eyes. people seem to forget that in the champinoship we went something like 19 games without a win and got relegated, and had similar spells in the seasons that followed. i loved him like many of you but dont put him on a peddistle and forget all rthose that have gone b4 him. and if you wat to talk about football that was pleasing on the eye dont forget barry frys short spell in charge, had the judas not left im convinced we would gone up that season. brilliant team and brilliant footbal, all about attack and goals. UTB

I can only comment on the time I've been watching the blues 85/86 is the first season I really remember, prior to that my dad has informed me the likes of cusack, cawston, best, poutney etc etc are real legends too, so I certainly appreciate whats gone before but i am only really able to comment on what I have seen, I do agree under barry fry we were bloody brilliant to watch and certainties for promotion IMO.

With the talk about Duncan Jupp what about one with his celebratory pose after scoring in the Play-off Final?

You must have been at a totally different game to me then.
No way was it lucky, we totally wore them down and went for the kill in ET, Juppy's breakaway goal being a classic example.

Totally agree with you regarding extra time, as they had nothing left in their legs. However, in the previous 90 minutes they had a perfectly good goal disallowed for offside, and i'm sure Bentley cleared one off the line, while we created very few chances and after the first 90 minutes i doubt any Blues fan would have said we had deserved to win.

olivertrigg.jpg

Oliver Trigg landlord of the Blue Boar
and founder of Southend United

Totally agree with you regarding extra time, as they had nothing left in their legs. However, in the previous 90 minutes they had a perfectly good goal disallowed for offside, and i'm sure Bentley cleared one off the line, while we created very few chances and after the first 90 minutes i doubt any Blues fan would have said we had deserved to win.

I personally don't care how the match went, all I recall was that 20,000+ had gone to the prior games and the atmosphere's were rubbish, and terrible days out. the 6,000 hardcore that stuck with the club for the third time got their rewards, in the lower section behind the goal there was non stop singing for about the last 20mins and then it continued at the final whistle through the team talks and into extra time - it was if Juppy wanted to honour us......

ole ole ole ole Duncan Jupp, Jupp, Jupp!!!!

there are all very valid cases on here, so would be hard to chose one over others, but Tilly is certainly no less deserving like people say for the fact that he is local and has been a fantastic servant to the club..

the ground and the stand names will probably be whored off to the highest commercial bidder, so things like statues might be the only way to honour the heroes of the past.......Regis Colboult?

I honestly don't think we've anyone in our history who is deserving of a statue, however, I would heartily endorse the idea of naming certain areas of the new ground after persons of note in our history, and I'd particularly like to think that people like Oliver Trigg, Sid Broomfield and Frank Gill would be included if only to teach some of the young whippersnappers something of our history.

I honestly don't think we've anyone in our history who is deserving of a statue, however, I would heartily endorse the idea of naming certain areas of the new ground after persons of note in our history, and I'd particularly like to think that people like Oliver Trigg, Sid Broomfield and Frank Gill would be included if only to teach some of the young whippersnappers something of our history.

what about the longest serving member of staff, i have no idea who its is however ken hare pushing a lawn mower has been their 4 donkeys yrs

what about the longest serving member of staff, i have no idea who its is however ken hare pushing a lawn mower has been their 4 donkeys yrs
The trouble with naming stands is that just as with Roots h time moves on and as with frank walton south and the sign for ted smith? contributions(is it still hanging in the north bank) the stands are never refered to in conversation by the peoples names.Maybe a statue with a plinth giving details of all major people would be a nice idea Trouble is where would you stop .Looking at the books a number of people have come to the rescue in different ways Hogflesh,broomfield etc .Although Trigg would warrent the statue because lets face it without him we wouldn,t be hear now talking ,I still feel that an inspiring pose of a goal celebration by one of the clubs favourites would look the part.
Anyway my mates at works choice of Stan collymore walking a dog or with boxing gloves is definately out!!! Sorry Stan

What about a statue of the picture that is up on the club shop. I believe that was a few of the players celebrating our play off win against Lincoln.. (could be wrong though)

Definitely one of the better moments in our history and was the start of a successful couple of years for the club. It's also a positive and one for all players that play for Southend at the time to aspire to!

How about some ShrimperZone related bits at the new ground such as "The Old Blue Lady's Toilets" or the "The Aberdeen Shrimper's Flagpole" ?

Personally I think we should have at least one stand named in honour of Lionel Penrose.

The Ron Martin Bank for those that wish to invest their money wisely....A new sex shop called The Shrimper's Truss.

I'll be back with more.

Mcnasty's Muching Hole.......................which has already put me off my tea..:unsure:

Back