• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

GBJ

⭐⭐
Staff member
Fairly simple and obvious I would have thought. I said it after the Wolves game (where he played on the wing, but it was obvious he wanted to creep inside) and after yesterdays sterling performance, it should be plain to see he's a key player, who, when played in the centre can be the difference in winning a game and losing a game. For weeks it's looked like we're missing that cutting edge, well, here it is. Simpson has to play through the middle.

Completely agree with this. Was excellent yesterday in the middle and gave us an attacking edge from the center of midfield which we have been lacking. Quality strike too

Couldnt be there yesterday, but by all accounts this seems to be spot on. Would this mean always playing one up top though, given club captain Easton and Grant are also worthy of their spots in the middle?

so you would say drop either grant or easton. easton does a fab job in front of the back four and grant is looking the best we have seen snce he came to the club and thus far the best midfielder i have seen in he league. so are you saying we play him in a three in the middle? problem is if sturrock plays two up front then he will be pushed out wide again, where he has looked quite effective. UTB

If we could get him on a permanent I wouldn't care where he played! At times yesterday it looked more like a 4-5-1 with Simpson in the middle with Grant and Easton with Hall and Soares on the wings and Sturrock upfront on his own which looked good, maybe with Corr up top instead although Sturrock did well.

If we could get him on a permanent I wouldn't care where he played! At times yesterday it looked more like a 4-5-1 with Simpson in the middle with Grant and Easton with Hall and Soares on the wings and Sturrock upfront on his own which looked good, maybe with Corr up top instead although Sturrock did well.

More like? It was a 4-5-1. Or a 4-1-4-1. Or a 4-1-2-2-1...:dizzy:
Whichever way you cut it had Easton in the DM role, allowing Grant and Simpson to come and support Sturrock. I can't see the problem with playing this more often throughout the season. Corr can play where Sturrock did today, Spencer can replace Soares and I even think Paterson could play in either of the positions that Grant and Simpson were in yesterday. And that's without considering what Adam Bouzid might be able to bring to the team. I've only seem him play one half against Gillingham where he was playing on the right, I'm curious as to what he can do.

so you would say drop either grant or easton.

Well I'd like to see them line up exactly how they did yesterday, with Simpson Grant and Easton playing centrally, with the 2 wide men supporting the striker. However, if need be, i'd drop Easton. Nothing against him, but Simpson looks to be that creative link that we desperately need, and IMO needs to be played where he is most effective.

Irrespective of the goal (and he did miss an easier chance 20 minutes earlier) I really thought Simpson had a touch of class about him yesterday. Seems very leggy in that he was nicking the ball and surging forward at a pace quicker than he looks and played some lovely balls inside the opposition full backs to our wingers. If he can keep up that kind of performance, than whatever other issues the team has, in Grant and Simpson we have two very good midfielders for this level. Im not a great fan of 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 at this level, but with Easton sitting allowing Simpson and Grant to bomb around the shape looked good in the first half.

Back