• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rumour alert; preliminary talks between Froch & Golovkin for a Wembley showdown are in process. Now I must state, this could all be a load of bollocks & theres no guarentee anything will actually materialise. It's not from my usual sources either, (which before anyone doubts, were the same sources who broke the stories of Hatton's comeback, 2 months before he announced it, & Haye-Chisora at Upton Park, 4 weeks before it was announced, at a time when Chisora's licence was revoked & Haye was retired). But if there's 10% truth to the rumours, it's worth getting excited for. This has the potential to be THE best fight of all time. Both men are all-action, dominant & have the ability to dish out & receive heavy punishment. It's the very definition of a war. If you were unhappy/disappointed with the outcome of "the fight of the century" - MayPac, this will pi*s all over it & that's certified fact.

As much as I dislike Froch, I do give him a very marginal edge. But you just simply cannot discount Triple G's threat. Either Golovkin takes him out early, or Froch drags him into the trenches late on & scores a narrow points victory.

Sounds like a brutal battle and I hope the rumours are true. Where would it likely be held? I know Froch favours either Nottingham or Vegas. What's Golovkins appeal like in America? Would he attract the crowds to warrant a Vegas show down? If it does happen I would love it to happen in the UK I would definitely try and get tickets. Another Wembley stadium fight maybe?

Sounds like a brutal battle and I hope the rumours are true. Where would it likely be held? I know Froch favours either Nottingham or Vegas. What's Golovkins appeal like in America? Would he attract the crowds to warrant a Vegas show down? If it does happen I would love it to happen in the UK I would definitely try and get tickets. Another Wembley stadium fight maybe?

Being honest, his American appeal isn't massive. He normally only fights is small arenas, doesn't get paid a massive amount & is largely overlooked for some strange reason. He's well recognised by the hardcore fans aswell as the various organisations, but due to his inability to draw a decent "big name" opponent, his stock with casuals isn't the best. It would make more sense for the fight to happen in England, with Wembley being the target, but I wouldn't rule out The City Ground.

Being honest, his American appeal isn't massive. He normally only fights is small arenas, doesn't get paid a massive amount & is largely overlooked for some strange reason. He's well recognised by the hardcore fans aswell as the various organisations, but due to his inability to draw a decent "big name" opponent, his stock with casuals isn't the best. It would make more sense for the fight to happen in England, with Wembley being the target, but I wouldn't rule out The City Ground.

It would be good for his stock to fight someone like Froch because then people will want to fight him. I can't believe I've overlooked him, he is a brilliant fighter and a joy to watch. I really hope this happens even better if in the UK. Would be a great event to see live.

It would be good for his stock to fight someone like Froch because then people will want to fight him. I can't believe I've overlooked him, he is a brilliant fighter and a joy to watch. I really hope this happens even better if in the UK. Would be a great event to see live.

His power and knock out ability are his greatest weaknesses when it comes to his marketability. He's too much of a threat for any big names or rising stars to face, and therefore finds it very difficult to get fights, hence why GBJ rightly says, he has little appeal. When he fought and laboured somewhat against Murray, it was in Monte Carlo, he does seem to be a bit of a nomad in terms of where his fights are staged.

But I couldn't agree more with GBJ on the outcome. even down to his diagnosis of how it will play out. Froch will get hit a lot early on, but GGG is probably as easy to hit as Froch. Froch is far better at weathering the storms and keeping going. We saw gainst Murry, that perhaps GGG is not. He still has power later on, but I favour Froch points. It will be interesting to see how GGG copes with someone with real punching power as well.

Moving to more recent events, really looking forward to DeGale Dirrell Saturday night. Will race home from my Wembley celebrations for this one. It's a very evenly matched fight, with two unorthadox styles coming against each other. The bookies have slightly made DeGale favourite, mostly due to his recent performances, and the fact Dirrell has not been overly active in the last few years.

DeGale has looked strong in his last three outing's, really hoping he can pull a late stoppage or points, but this one could really go either way.

As a complete aside, my first ever boxing hero, Nigel Benn is tweeting that he's trying to get a comeback fight v Eubank. Benn got me into boxing. I loved him as a kid, **** it I still do. Part of me loves the idea of another fight against Eubank. Even at their age. The realistic in me worries about his legacy and both of their health. Thoughts?

Last edited:
His power and knock out ability are his greatest weaknesses when it comes to his marketability. He's too much of a threat for any big names or rising stars to face, and therefore finds it very difficult to get fights, hence why GBJ rightly says, he has little appeal. When he fought and laboured somewhat against Murray, it was in Monte Carlo, he does seem to be a bit of a nomad in terms of where his fights are staged.

But I couldn't agree more with GBJ on the outcome. even down to his diagnosis of how it will play out. Froch will get hit a lot early on, but GGG is probably as easy to hit as Froch. Froch is far better at weathering the storms and keeping going. We saw gainst Murry, that perhaps GGG is not. He still has power later on, but I favour Froch points. It will be interesting to see how GGG copes with someone with real punching power as well.

Moving to more recent events, really looking forward to DeGale Dirrell Saturday night. Will race home from my Wembley celebrations for this one. It's a very evenly matched fight, with two unorthadox styles coming against each other. The bookies have slightly made DeGale favourite, mostly due to his recent performances, and the fact Dirrell has not been overly active in the last few years.

DeGale has looked strong in his last three outing's, really hoping he can pull a late stoppage or points, but this one could really go either way.

As a complete aside, my first ever boxing hero, Nigel Benn is tweeting that he's trying to get a comeback fight v Eubank. Benn got me into boxing. I loved him as a kid, **** it I still do. Part of me loves the idea of another fight against Eubank. Even at their age. The realistic in me worries about his legacy and both of their health. Thoughts?

Just to add, that arena in Monte Carlo held about 900 people IIRC. That pretty much sums it up.

Onto DeGale. I'm going for a bold stoppage win for him. I can see him walking Dirrell down, and throwing punches in bunches & the ref waving it off around the 9th or 10th. Dirrell isn't the same prospect of a few years ago & IMO has regressed, despite being a belt holder. Whereas DeGale has blitzed Periban & Gonzalez in his last 2 fights, in stunning, unpredictable fashion. He's got this In the bag I think. And good luck to him, because if he does win, (George Groves will almost certainly lay waste to Badou Jack) & then we've got an all British unification bout. Imagine the build up to that.

Thoughts on Benn - Eubank? Lol. It just simply won't happen. I'd be surprised if the BBBoC would even grant them licenses.

Khan faces Algeri in a couple of hours. Amir carries no power at WW. Therefore he beats Algeri on points easily

Now Brook has beaten Gavin they have to line up Khan vs Brook. I know your not a fan but Joshua managed to stop Johnson in 2 rounds. Where is his next stop? Maybe something of a real challenge to prove to the doubters that he is not just hype.

Shame about Kevin Mitchell's defeat.

Can't believe that was Johnson's first stoppage, he looked awful. Crazy that he's gone the distance with Fury, Hammer, Vitali and others. He looked like a punchbag last night.

Sadly decided on an early night and didn't stay up for the Brook fight. He needs to fight Khan next, as Ricey says.

Also, Mitchell's eye!:omg:

Can't believe that was Johnson's first stoppage, he looked awful. Crazy that he's gone the distance with Fury, Hammer, Vitali and others. He looked like a punchbag last night.

Sadly decided on an early night and didn't stay up for the Brook fight. He needs to fight Khan next, as Ricey says.

Also, Mitchell's eye!:omg:

Absolutely shocking from Johnson I think that was a more embarrassing display than Harrison when he fought Haye.

The funniest bit was his Ali style shuffle that was met by the fans all laughing.

Now Brook has beaten Gavin they have to line up Khan vs Brook. I know your not a fan but Joshua managed to stop Johnson in 2 rounds. Where is his next stop? Maybe something of a real challenge to prove to the doubters that he is not just hype.

Shame about Kevin Mitchell's defeat.

Hearn & Brook are desperate for the Khan fight. But at the same time, Khan is desperate for the Mayweather fight. Khan is closer to the Mayweather fight than ever, so absolutely no point in risking that by facing Brook now. Brook can/will wait. If The Mayweather fight doesn't materialise, then Khan will face Brook. Think about it, put yourself in Khan's shoes... Headlining The MGM Grand in Vegas, for $15m dollars, against the best fighter of your generation, OR face a British "rival" in Cardiff for £5m? No brainer surely?

Wait until Floyd decides his September opponent. If it's not Khan, expect the Khan-Brook fight to be imminent.

No surprise AJ stopped Johnson. As Matchroom Promotions becomes more WWE than ever, it was always gunna happen. Does anyone truly believe Johnson came to fight? SafetyPin was little more than another cog in the Hype Machine.

Anyway, what next for AJ? IIRC he's ment to be out again in July & September/October time. Hopefully he'll face Dillian Whyte in July & David Price after.

Dillian Whyte would be a good scrap. There's genuine needle between the two & Whyte, unlike everyone before him, would actually come to fight. He also carries a very high (78%) knockout rate, which AJ already knows about, as Whyte had dropped him in the Ams

Should AJ come through that (I believe he will, but would have learned a lot more than his previous bouts, fighting tomato cans & Latvian cab drivers) a fight against Price would be superb. The prospect is made even more spicier, knowing that when Price & AJ last sparred, Price laid him out cold. Now that's a real test for AJ. A real risk. Going up against someone who is bigger, who will come to fight & who has the ability of knocking you the **** out.

But I've also heard rumours that the "big" fight for AJ in Sept/Oct time could be Derek Chisora. F**** is ready to get one last payday out of Chisora & this could be the one. Chisora's head & heart aren't in the sport anymore. So one final (decent) payday for himself & that's his lot. This rumour has got legs, but it's not what I'd like to see tbh.

also heard Tony Thompson's name bandied about aswell. Not sure it'll happen

Last edited:
Looking like the Dillian Whyte vs Anthony Joshua could happen in September. Think I might go to that one and break my live boxing virginity.

Looking like the Dillian Whyte vs Anthony Joshua could happen in September. Think I might go to that one and break my live boxing virginity.

David Price has pulled out of his fight this month claiming "neck injury". The rumour mill has been whirling, Price's injury is completely made up & him & AJ are on collision course. Price cannot afford to get a genuine injury/loss, now the AJ fight is in the pipeline, so a remapping of the next few months is needed, and pulling out of this fight was inevitable

Anyone see the Broner / Porter fight, or the Paul Smith debacle?

I always thought that Broner face behind the shoulder stance made him look afraid, now I'm wondering whether he actually is. Twice he's come up against good strong march forward fighters, and twice now he has frozen. He was grabbing from the first, and really didn't portray an air of a man who believed he could win, well not until all was lost it seemed. Porter on the other hand, fought well, despite the ref's leniancy towards Broner's holding. How did it take so long to deduct the point. It does make Kell's win and stock look that little bit better. I was really looking forward to this though, Bropner let everyone down. It seems that he's in the Tyson Fury camp, of trash talking to hide his fears.

Speaking of let down's what was Smith thinking. You rarely get the chance to step into the ring with a genuine pouind for pound fighter. So to come in over weight, at a larger catch weight as well, is poor; but seems to be a bit of a bad habit of late.

He seemeed to suffer from it, not sure if it was losing 20% of his purse, or struggling with the weight, but he seemed lethargic, and dis-interested, and made it a very easy comeback for Ward. It was good to see Ward back in the ring though, and his left hook in the eight, and his jab was excellent. Looking forward to seeing him against some more competitive opposition now.

I always thought that Broner face behind the shoulder stance made him look afraid, now I'm wondering whether he actually is. Twice he's come up against good strong march forward fighters, and twice now he has frozen. He was grabbing from the first, and really didn't portray an air of a man who believed he could win, well not until all was lost it seemed. Porter on the other hand, fought well, despite the ref's leniancy towards Broner's holding. How did it take so long to deduct the point. It does make Kell's win and stock look that little bit better. I was really looking forward to this though, Bropner let everyone down. It seems that he's in the Tyson Fury camp, of trash talking to hide his fears.

Speaking of let down's what was Smith thinking. You rarely get the chance to step into the ring with a genuine pouind for pound fighter. So to come in over weight, at a larger catch weight as well, is poor; but seems to be a bit of a bad habit of late.

He seemeed to suffer from it, not sure if it was losing 20% of his purse, or struggling with the weight, but he seemed lethargic, and dis-interested, and made it a very easy comeback for Ward. It was good to see Ward back in the ring though, and his left hook in the eight, and his jab was excellent. Looking forward to seeing him against some more competitive opposition now.

Is there any chance of a Ward vs Froch rematch? Because I think that would be an impressive fight or maybe he could line up against GGG? Didn't see the fight but I have always been a fan of Ward.

Is there any chance of a Ward vs Froch rematch? Because I think that would be an impressive fight or maybe he could line up against GGG? Didn't see the fight but I have always been a fan of Ward.

I don't think Froch fancies it. I'm the same as you, in that I'm a massive Ward fan, would love for him to fight over here. With GGG, Froch knows his style will suit him, GGG for all his talent fights in straight lines, because his power allows - but he appears to be believing his own hype a little bit too much lately, getting caught a lot. Froch will love getting up close and tearing it up with GGG (won't we all). But Ward is too slick, and has too much arsenal, he has speed, power, defense, and is a tough son of a bitch too, so happy to trade. I think Froch knows he wouldn't beat him, and that it's too big a risk to tarnish the finish of his career.

Simple, Maidana took his soul. Broner is a shell of his former self & is clearly too scared to box to his old style, that he had success with back at SFW or LW. He shouldn't be anywhere near the WW level (even though this was a catchweight). On top of that, I think he's a lazy, egotistical, the-world-owes-me, type of professional. Hopefully he'll drop back to 140lbs & Mattysse will retire him.

Also, Tony Weeks is a good ref, but he had a shocker on Saturday. Broner could & should have been deducted points in every round, from the opening bell.

Paul Smith wasn't & still isn't, anything more than a European level fighter at best. His comfortable level is domestic. The fight was a total mismatch from the moment it was announced. But Ward was never gunna take an actual test in his return fight.

Lol Froch don't want no part of Ward again

Why not? Would be a great way to retire if he beat him.

There's 3 key points to look at here.

1) Froch hasn't been seriously interested in a rematch with him Ward for years. He's never openly/actively pursued or even called for a rematch, since about 2012(?). But on the flip side, Ward has always been open to a rematch

2) Ward has held the WBA's Super title for ages, whilst Froch has held the WBA's regular title. The WBA have recently wanted to make a bout between the two, but again, It never came to fruition, with Froch's side rumoured to be stalling.

3) Froch is miles behind Ward in terms of ability, and is on a natural decline. Whereas Ward still looks the best SMW on the planet.

Only fight left for Froch is Golovkin (which has the makings of an all-time classic, a la Gatti-Ward). Other than that, he should retire IMO.

Back