• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Looking forward to him spending each and every appearance on Sky trying to dig at Calzaghe for not fighting him, having ducked Golovkin in order to retire.

Looking forward to him spending each and every appearance on Sky trying to dig at Calzaghe for not fighting him, having ducked Golovkin in order to retire.

Don't forget mentioning to every man and his dog about knocking George Groves out at Wembley stadium in front of 80,000 people.

Not just Golovkin, but DeGale & Ward aswell. All three have been in negotiations with Hearn, only for Froch to back out.

Carl Froch has retired. See you on Strictly.... :winking:

Yeah no major surprise tbh. As soon as the negotiations with Golovkin's people broke down a few weeks ago, it looked on the cards. There's simply nothing left for him. He didn't want any parts of GGG or Ward & the potential future meaningful, domestic clashes were gunna be at least 18 months away. He wouldn't wana go back to fighting at Small Arenas in the mean time, so He literally had nowhere left to turn.

Congratulations for everything he achieved in the ring, but he'll always be an ego-maniacal hypocrite, who was never actually the best in his era.

Don't forget mentioning to every man and his dog about knocking George Groves out at Wembley stadium in front of 80,000 people.

Not just Golovkin, but DeGale & Ward aswell. All three have been in negotiations with Hearn, only for Froch to back out.

Ah come on now guys, despite what you think of the guy, he's one of the best and most exciting English boxers of his generation. He's fought the best, and he fought them everywhere - he's not a fighter you'd associate with ducking a fight. He's given us some of the most exciting nights of boxing and retired a champion, having held the WBA, WBC & IBF belts. He fought twelve straight World title fights, most on the road.

ESB - You're doing to him, judging him by his personal demanour, that you panned others for doing to Sterling. You're better than your comment. Who cares what they're like out of the field of play, it's what they do in it that excites us. But, Kessler, Taylor, Groves & Pascal. All excellent victories. Groves, a genuine I was there KO.

GBJ - You really can't follow up a few posts on your love for Tyson Fury with a post attacking the ego of another man in the sport. People in cake shops shouldn't throw iced buns buddy.

Yeah, that comment about George Groves was cringe, but even that we've gotten mileage out of. He's got an ego, of course he has, he's a world champion boxer that had his own brand to sell which all boxers need to do. And most people you speak to in the sport that know him, say that most of what he comes out with, is tongue in cheek, him just having fun. He know's he's not the best of his generation, but he's right up there. He's just unfortunate he's in the era of a genuine pound for pound fighter in Ward.

I'll remember Froch's career with great fondness, and his fights are definitely in that librabry of fights I'll watch back, again and again. It just bugs me to see a fighter that's given us so much enjoyment in the ring, to have his retirement received with panning and cheap insults.

My comment was tongue in cheek by the way. I am a massive fan of Froch and am gutted he isn't going to have one last bout. But I suppose it would be hard to top the great fight between him and Groves. It's a wise step because he could fight one of the 3 who he was in talks with and get destroyed and thats not a way to end your career.

He is one of my favourite boxers and I celebrated like I'd won the lottery when he landed the KO punch on Groves. I wish him all the best and look forward to seeing him develop his punditry with Sky.

My comment was tongue in cheek by the way. I am a massive fan of Froch and am gutted he isn't going to have one last bout. But I suppose it would be hard to top the great fight between him and Groves. It's a wise step because he could fight one of the 3 who he was in talks with and get destroyed and thats not a way to end your career.

He is one of my favourite boxers and I celebrated like I'd won the lottery when he landed the KO punch on Groves. I wish him all the best and look forward to seeing him develop his punditry with Sky.

Yeah I know - like I say we've had a lot of milage out of that comments, because it is really funny to keep bringing up. I've no doubt overreacted to all the comments, they just seemed a little disingenous to a great ambassador in the ring ring for British boxing.

He is 38 as well, not every fighter can have a career like Bernard Hopkins, especially with the style he fights. Same for me, with that KO punch, like I say, a real I was there moment, the noise in Wembley was deafening, more so than any England goal I've seen scored there - Pigott goals are a different thing altogether.

I remember staying up for the Bute fight with my brother after he'd been pretty much written off (Froch, not my brother), having lost to Ward. We were stood up within a couple of minutes each throwing every punch with him as he pounded Bute against the ropes, one of my favourite memories from watching boxing.

ESB - You're doing to him, judging him by his personal demanour, that you panned others for doing to Sterling. You're better than your comment. Who cares what they're like out of the field of play, it's what they do in it that excites us. But, Kessler, Taylor, Groves & Pascal. All excellent victories. Groves, a genuine I was there KO.

Don't get me wrong, I think Froch has been an excellent fighter and excellent for the sport. It needs characters like him and he's been a fantastic slave to the trade. What I was trying to point out is the hypocrisy in his criticism of Calzaghe, when in reality he's done pretty much exactly the same thing. I don't really see much of a comparison between this and Sterling to be honest. I've defended Sterling over people attacking him for making a move to further his own career, and you'd be bang on if Sterling had himself came out and criticised a teammate for doing so, but to my knowledge he's yet to do so. It's very rare that current footballers do that because they all know the game and are happy to play it.

There's no way that if Froch really wanted to fight GGG that it couldn't be pushed over the line. I don't blame him at all for not wanting any part of the fight - who would at Froch's age, time since his last fight and what's at stake? - but I do think it's cheap for him to continue to criticise Calzaghe for effectively doing the same thing.

All the patter from him about knocking out Groves in front of 80,000 people, I couldn't care less about. That, much like Sterling trying to force through a move, is all part of the game. I ****ing loved Naseem growing up and if you look at boxing's history, it's the fighters like Ali and Tyson that are remembered just as much for their comments and antics as they were their fights.

Don't get me wrong, I think Froch has been an excellent fighter and excellent for the sport. It needs characters like him and he's been a fantastic slave to the trade. What I was trying to point out is the hypocrisy in his criticism of Calzaghe, when in reality he's done pretty much exactly the same thing. I don't really see much of a comparison between this and Sterling to be honest. I've defended Sterling over people attacking him for making a move to further his own career, and you'd be bang on if Sterling had himself came out and criticised a teammate for doing so, but to my knowledge he's yet to do so. It's very rare that current footballers do that because they all know the game and are happy to play it.

There's no way that if Froch really wanted to fight GGG that it couldn't be pushed over the line. I don't blame him at all for not wanting any part of the fight - who would at Froch's age, time since his last fight and what's at stake? - but I do think it's cheap for him to continue to criticise Calzaghe for effectively doing the same thing.

All the patter from him about knocking out Groves in front of 80,000 people, I couldn't care less about. That, much like Sterling trying to force through a move, is all part of the game. I ****ing loved Naseem growing up and if you look at boxing's history, it's the fighters like Ali and Tyson that are remembered just as much for their comments and antics as they were their fights.

Me too. Any excuse to post this...

[video=youtube;DVpN7fYV8pg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVpN7fYV8pg[/video]

Ah come on now guys, despite what you think of the guy, he's one of the best and most exciting English boxers of his generation. He's fought the best, and he fought them everywhere - he's not a fighter you'd associate with ducking a fight. He's given us some of the most exciting nights of boxing and retired a champion, having held the WBA, WBC & IBF belts. He fought twelve straight World title fights, most on the road.

GBJ - You really can't follow up a few posts on your love for Tyson Fury with a post attacking the ego of another man in the sport. People in cake shops shouldn't throw iced buns buddy.

Yeah, that comment about George Groves was cringe, but even that we've gotten mileage out of. He's got an ego, of course he has, he's a world champion boxer that had his own brand to sell which all boxers need to do. And most people you speak to in the sport that know him, say that most of what he comes out with, is tongue in cheek, him just having fun. He know's he's not the best of his generation, but he's right up there. He's just unfortunate he's in the era of a genuine pound for pound fighter in Ward.

I'll remember Froch's career with great fondness, and his fights are definitely in that librabry of fights I'll watch back, again and again. It just bugs me to see a fighter that's given us so much enjoyment in the ring, to have his retirement received with panning and cheap insults.

The genuine difference between Froch & Fury is that you know full well Tyson is doing it, in character form. He's admitted himself, it's only to get his name out there, sell tickets & cause interest. His stuff is fake, but it's funny. Froch IS an ego-maniac. Eddie Hearn's PR team did a good job of trying to play it down, as if he was being tongue-in-cheek with most of his stuff, but he legit wasn't. He showed in the build-up to the first Groves fight he was up his own arse, by saying Groves didn't deserve to be in the ring with him, despite the fact Groves was his mandatory lol. He said the same about James DeGale when he was the mandatory. He disrespected these mando's, with minimal regard. And It was all hypocritical, considering he's bleated on about Calzaghe for years, for doing the exact same thing he did!! Those aren't the actions of someone playing a character. I've always said, and still believe he was very bitter towards the boxing fans, fellow British boxers & Sky for never giving him the adulation, respect & subsequent coverage, he thought he deserved, when he was constantly stuck in either Hatton's, Calzaghe's or Khan's shadows.

He's brought the flak on himself tbh. Great fighter, delivered some great performances. But he's got the Personality of a nob head.

I think you'd struggle to find a fighter that hasn't called out all the best fighters at the start of their career, and used bluster to convince those around them that they've been ignored because the champ is afraid and not just because they're out of the Champs league at the time. It's only natural that if you then do make the top, you start to make those same decisions over whether you really want to fight those that are then calling you out. For what it's worth I just think Froch realised that he's hit an age where the wars have taken their toll, and the financial package wasn't worth stepping into the ring one more time. I don't think he would have lost to GGG, but he obviously didn't think it was worth the risk for what was on the table, plus he really wanted his swan song to be in Vegas, and that would only really happen with Chavez Jnr. Ask me whether he ducked Ward though, and that's a very different answer.

The genuine difference between Froch & Fury is that you know full well Tyson is doing it, in character form. He's admitted himself, it's only to get his name out there, sell tickets & cause interest. His stuff is fake, but it's funny. Froch IS an ego-maniac. Eddie Hearn's PR team did a good job of trying to play it down, as if he was being tongue-in-cheek with most of his stuff, but he legit wasn't. He showed in the build-up to the first Groves fight he was up his own arse, by saying Groves didn't deserve to be in the ring with him, despite the fact Groves was his mandatory lol. He said the same about James DeGale when he was the mandatory. He disrespected these mando's, with minimal regard. And It was all hypocritical, considering he's bleated on about Calzaghe for years, for doing the exact same thing he did!! Those aren't the actions of someone playing a character. I've always said, and still believe he was very bitter towards the boxing fans, fellow British boxers & Sky for never giving him the adulation, respect & subsequent coverage, he thought he deserved, when he was constantly stuck in either Hatton's, Calzaghe's or Khan's shadows.

He's brought the flak on himself tbh. Great fighter, delivered some great performances. But he's got the Personality of a nob head.

Yeah, I think it's part tongue in cheek with Fury, the other part is he's stupid, and when he's calling everyone on Twitter a pussy and whatever, he thinks he's funny and everyone is laughing with him.

I do you think you are right that early to mid-career, he did feel bitter for not getting the respect for what he'd achieved. Maybe that has never worn off, but I tend to take a lot of what he says as tongue in cheek now though. Anyway, I thought that was the point of Lee Froch, to make everyone else look less of a dick.

Yeah, I think it's part tongue in cheek with Fury, the other part is he's stupid, and when he's calling everyone on Twitter a pussy and whatever, he thinks he's funny and everyone is laughing with him.

I do you think you are right that early to mid-career, he did feel bitter for not getting the respect for what he'd achieved. Maybe that has never worn off, but I tend to take a lot of what he says as tongue in cheek now though. Anyway, I thought that was the point of Lee Froch, to make everyone else look less of a dick.

See, when Fury goes off on one, on Twitter, I'd say that's genuinely him being a lunatic. I like to imagine that In-between the stuff he writes, he's smashing his caravan to bits in a fit of Stella-fuelled rage. Which, to me, is funny. He's a born entertainer, with an element of insanity, on the side.

Lee Froch is a proper tool. When he was calling out Groves in the build up's to both fights, it's was cringeworthy. He's nothing more than a roid head, yet he's calling out a professional prizefighter, (who's at the top end of his game) such a shame Groves couldn't check his chin, cos Lee would have been going night-nights.

So what's everyone's thoughts on AJ's fight in September with Gary Cornish?

Utterly pointless. Totally & utterly pointless. AJ could have sparked this guy cold, 12 months ago. He's not progressing, he's standing still & has been for some time. This is a first or second round demolition job, which every single casual fan wil lap up & buy even more into the hype machine. Especially with nob head commentators like Nick Halling, building it up as a real battle/tough fight, only for AJ to roll over Cornish pasty within 2 rounds & then proclaim "this guy is frightening".

I remember Hearn waffling on about a massive show, with a real test for Joshua. And it ends up being Gary Cornish ffs

Let me add, I wouldn't be surprised if AJ actually parts company with Hearn & goes it alone, in the not-to-distant future. Come the time of this fight, he'll be a month shy of being a pro for 2 years, and he's gone absolutely nowhere. Not 1 single fight where the opponent has been a live competitor. Every single one of them have been tomato cans, who've showed up to take a hiding. AJ should be going in with the likes of Price, Wach, Charr or Thompson right now.

Last edited:

I'm not actually that up on Cornish, I know he's unbeaten in 21 bouts. Having a little look on Boxrec, he's mostly fought in leisure centres and hotels, and there's no-one on his record. Would imagine AJ will walk through him.

I'm not actually that up on Cornish, I know he's unbeaten in 21 bouts. Having a little look on Boxrec, he's mostly fought in leisure centres and hotels, and there's no-one on his record. Would imagine AJ will walk through him.

100%, it'll be a 1-2 round job. **** fight, absolutely no point to it at all. Remember last year, when Hearn was going on about "phase 2" of AJ's career, where the opponents would get tougher & more testing? This fight carries the same danger to AJ as his first ever pro fight back in 2013, against Leo.

100%, it'll be a 1-2 round job. **** fight, absolutely no point to it at all. Remember last year, when Hearn was going on about "phase 2" of AJ's career, where the opponents would get tougher & more testing? This fight carries the same danger to AJ as his first ever pro fight back in 2013, against Leo.

Yeah, I suppose ideally he'd like to have been fighting Whyte now, but for the injury. That said, outside of hardcore fans, not many would even see that as a step up.

AJ keeps saying the right things, in terms of taking time, but you've got to think he's gonna wanna start winning some meaningful belts soon. After Whyte I expect to see a big upturn in class, Chisora & Price, minimum.

Yeah, I suppose ideally he'd like to have been fighting Whyte now, but for the injury. That said, outside of hardcore fans, not many would even see that as a step up.

AJ keeps saying the right things, in terms of taking time, but you've got to think he's gonna wanna start winning some meaningful belts soon. After Whyte I expect to see a big upturn in class, Chisora & Price, minimum.

IMHO, he should have been in with Whyte sooner (I know the injury has hampered that) & then looking at the likes of Thompson/Price. Del Boy is still too much of a risk atm I'd say. This is what ****es me off with the Sky Hypemachine. Utilising their resources, they can convince the casual fan, that this fight with Cornish is MASSIVE. 2 unbeaten HW's, both big punchers, Commonwealth belt on the line blah blah blah. Then when AJ steamrolls the poor **** in 2 rounds, people will be amazed/stunned/convinced that AJ is the second coming of Jack Johnson or Jack Dempsey.

Lets be realistic though, AJ is probably at least 9-12 months away from one of these testing fights. He faces Whyte in Nov/Dec, he'll take Xmas off & won't b back in action until March/April, and even then it's no guarantee it'll be a test. His career is just treading water atm, which is clearly getting more notice now, so I reckon it won't be long until someone has a word in his ear & convinces him that Hearn is holding him back, and AJ Promotions is the only way forward.

OR on the complete flip slide, it could be what I've thought all along. AJ's ceiling is limited. Hearn can't risk throwing him into testing, meaningful fights too early, because he's fearful his cash cow will get banjo'd hard. Instead, keep him on a slow burn, and cash in when the time is right. I.e. When he can make millions from one "superfight".

So do you reckon it's worth going to watch? I've never seen a live professional boxing match I'm thinking of doing this and the Whyte bout too.

So do you reckon it's worth going to watch? I've never seen a live professional boxing match I'm thinking of doing this and the Whyte bout too.

Depends on the card mate. Never go for a one single fight unless it's massive. It's best to get to a fight where there is a strong card, that way if the main fight is a one/two round blow out you've still got a few good fights to watch. The Brook/Gavin Rule Brittania fight being a good example, as well as Brook, you had Mitchell and Selby in title fights on the undercard, as well as Cleverley & AJ. And even Cardle and Ryder on the low cards. Make sure you get a good evening out of it.

Depends on the card mate. Never go for a one single fight unless it's massive. It's best to get to a fight where there is a strong card, that way if the main fight is a one/two round blow out you've still got a few good fights to watch. The Brook/Gavin Rule Brittania fight being a good example, as well as Brook, you had Mitchell and Selby in title fights on the undercard, as well as Cleverley & AJ. And even Cardle and Ryder on the low cards. Make sure you get a good evening out of it.

Fair point I will wait until both the cards have been announced and who will be on it before deciding.

Back