• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2021 Friendlies

Our claim to fame must be beating Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle 4 - 0 on New Years Day 1992 to go top of league 2 (now championship) for a few hours! No?
Kevin Keegan was not the Manager of Newcastle United when we beat them 4-0 on New Years Day 1992. Ossie Ardiles was the manager at that time and was sacked on or about 5th.Feb. '92. Kevin Keegan's first match as manager was on Feb. 8th.'92 when they beat Bristol City 3-0 with a sell-out crowd of almost 30,000.

A lot of clubs now are knocking weekly £5-£7 a game and charging a monthly fee or a one off £125 a season fee to play for each player as clubs are finding it harder each year to get by, not good is it.

Kevin Keegan was not the Manager of Newcastle United when we beat them 4-0 on New Years Day 1992. Ossie Ardiles was the manager at that time and was sacked on or about 5th.Feb. '92. Kevin Keegan's first match as manager was on Feb. 8th.'92 when they beat Bristol City 3-0 with a sell-out crowd of almost 30,000.
Totally not SUFC related but was watching a programme which talked about Ardiles’ spell as Spurs manager, when he tried to get in Diego Maradona but didn’t quite pull it off, so signed Klinsmann instead. Imagine if Maradona had played in England. Almost happened! As you were!

Totally not SUFC related but was watching a programme which talked about Ardiles’ spell as Spurs manager, when he tried to get in Diego Maradona but didn’t quite pull it off, so signed Klinsmann instead. Imagine if Maradona had played in England. Almost happened! As you were!

Maradona was an amazing player, just something tells me, he wouldn't have gone down well after that famous hand of god. Ardiles managed Spurs before that didn't he?

Kevin Keegan was not the Manager of Newcastle United when we beat them 4-0 on New Years Day 1992. Ossie Ardiles was the manager at that time and was sacked on or about 5th.Feb. '92.

The negative point of that game kicking off at lunchtime, was the lack of Geordie fans in attendance, which if a 3pm KO, would have seen a few 100 more, generating a fantastic atmosphere all round. ( The one on the day wasn't bad, mind you! ). I was led to believe the noon KO was down to OB?.
The positive point of that early KO, was that at least we have had the opportunity many times since, to state we were top of the old Div 1 for a few hours, which wouldn't have happened with a 3pm KO!.

I don't want West Ham fans in the home stands!!

If it's their X1 with little in the way of first reamers then I doubt that many will come. Throw in a couple of first teamers and the obligatory few thousand will come along.

All good for the clubs bank balance.

Maradona was an amazing player, just something tells me, he wouldn't have gone down well after that famous hand of god. Ardiles managed Spurs before that didn't he?
Ardiles managed Spurs til ‘94 and they signed Klinsmann that summer, for 8 grand a week (cheers Google!) ..he was sacked by Christmas mind!

The season we beat the Geordies 4-0 we finished 8 places above them….and 7 above Grimsby! How times change, eh.

Ardiles managed Spurs til ‘94 and they signed Klinsmann that summer, for 8 grand a week (cheers Google!) ..he was sacked by Christmas mind!

The season we beat the Geordies 4-0 we finished 8 places above them….and 7 above Grimsby! How times change, eh.

Jesus 8k, how things have changed. Klinsmann was a class act even though he was German :Frustrated:

Yep sure is, not as cheap as it used to be.

Bloody hell, to play a game of football. In the 90's we use to provide our own nets for the goals and the pitches were pretty poor.

Go over Chalkwell park and look at the wickets, creases and outfields (outside of the winter seasons), they're amazing and well looked after. You could play snooker on them.

Genuine question. Where is Frenford?

Not far from the Gants Hill roundabout. I lived not far from there in the mid 90's and a couple of friends played for them. If I remember right they were granted a tidy sum from the lottery and that launched them up several tiers.

Has any clubs in Southend ever been given a grant?

Not far from the Gants Hill roundabout. I lived not far from there in the mid 90's and a couple of friends played for them. If I remember right they were granted a tidy sum from the lottery and that launched them up several tiers.

Has any clubs in Southend ever been given a grant?
Chelsea gave us Anthony? Sorry, too easy.

That's a shocking amount of money for a small club, how many do they get a game? 100?

Isn't this a park funded by the TAX payer, what the hell. You can go to any local park that have goal posts, put up some nets and have a game of football with your mates for free.
You can't with nets.

Back