• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Phil Brown be sacked?

• Yes - sack him

Votes: 165 55.6%
  • No - he deserves more time

Votes: 132 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Entirely different kettle of fish of the status of being Sunderland's No.2 and England No.2!

Even so, he had the chance of moving on to a big club for much more money and didnt go, so its not like he is just trying to get out at the first chance he gets like some claim.

He does want to progress but not just for the sake of more money but for the right job, he deserves some slack for that.

Not that I like how he promotes himself on live TV myself, he can certainly do it in a more dignified manner.

We have finished in a superior position at the end of every season PB has been in charge.
That is a fact. That has to, without any doubt whatsoever, be classed as success.
They are the FACTS!!

Just to put this in perspective. PB took over in the 2012/2013 season and we finished 11, which was 3 positions lower than the position we were in when he took over from Sturrock. Played 8, won 1, drew 3 lost 4.

We finished 5th in the 2013 /2014 season so you are factually correct there. We then finished 5th in 2014/2015 season so not a FACT we finished higher. The play offs are a separate entity so cannot be included in finishing position. We were then in L1 in the 2015/2016 so was physically impossible to finish lower so that can't really be included.

Your FACTS don't look so good now do they?

You cant use the first 8 gamesas a measurement.

He may have been brought in to try to turn things around and get us back in the play off race but with so little time and no way to bring in new players those 8 games arent enough to rate him by.

The only fair measurement is his first full season.

He progressed from play off semis to play off final, so even though the league position was the same it was better , and he also got far more points, so again better than the year before.

Then to ignore a midtable finish just because its not the same division? Come on, finishing midtable is higher than league two, yes its by default but he could have finished in the bottom 3 yet did not.

This is what I mean when people just refuse to give him credit for what he does achieve.

You cant use the first 8 gamesas a measurement.

He may have been brought in to try to turn things around and get us back in the play off race but with so little time and no way to bring in new players those 8 games arent enough to rate him by.

The only fair measurement is his first full season.

He progressed from play off semis to play off final, so even though the league position was the same it was better , and he also got far more points, so again better than the year before.

Then to ignore a midtable finish just because its not the same division? Come on, finishing midtable is higher than league two, yes its by default but he could have finished in the bottom 3 yet did not.

This is what I mean when people just refuse to give him credit for what he does achieve.

Finishing 20th would have been higher than 5th in L2 though wouldn't it. Finishing bottom is still a higher position even though it would mean relegation, it's still a higher position. 5th in L1 doesn't guarantee promotion

I was over the moon we won last night but still would be happy if Brown went. I'd never want us to be rooted to the bottom if it meant Brown being sacked either

Finishing 20th would have been higher than 5th in L2 though wouldn't it. Finishing bottom is still a higher position even though it would mean relegation, it's still a higher position. 5th in L1 doesn't guarantee promotion

I was over the moon we won last night but still would be happy if Brown went. I'd never want us to be rooted to the bottom if it meant Brown being sacked either

Yss finishing 20th would have, but we didnt finish 20th, we finished above 10 other league one teams.

5th doesnt guarantee promotion? No it doesn't, but the league postion alone isnt the sole measurement and is ignoring winning the play offs does, and even if we lost the semi finals we still got more points and won more games and scored more goals which is better than we did the year before.

There is no way on earth anyone can say 2014/2015 wasnt a better performance than 2013/14 if they are being objective and not being biased about how they feel about Brown.

Phil Brown is the Football Club`s manager and until that changes he should have 100% support of the Club and its supporters

Phil Brown is the Football Club`s manager and until that changes he should have 100% support of the Club and its supporters

Quite a bold statement.

Im pretty sure that there isn't a club in the uk where the manager has total support.

Look at someone like arsene wenger and what he has historically achieved and yet fans get on his back week in week out and they finished second in the prem and made a final.

Really? So you would have backed Dick Bate, Alvin Martin or Peter Morris to name but a few. I don't think your argument holds much water or warrants support. Sometimes they just ain't right for the club. Some are easy to spot and others are no more than opinion but blind support is not the way of football and certainly has never been the way Blues fans operate. Maybe a few on here might remind you of some of the less flattering chants we have had for some previous managers.

Phil Brown got us promoted, Alvin Martin got us relegated.

One deserves a little more backing than the other.

That said supporters get behind the team, not the manager.

Quite a bold statement.

Im pretty sure that there isn't a club in the uk where the manager has total support.

Look at someone like arsene wenger and what he has historically achieved and yet fans get on his back week in week out and they finished second in the prem and made a final.

!00% may be a bit much but support absolutely. Thats not to say can't debate, question, get upset, vent etc. but in the end support in the same way we should support the players.

Unfortunately its the British disease to always have to be against something or someone. To me Brown is part of the team. And in the end I support the team. Just me I know- others will say Brown and the team are separate and fair game..some will say its not a team at all and a collection of players and I will support those I like and pillory those I don't..

It can all get very wearing - roll on Sat and hopefully a win to put us in the top half of the table- and a couple of signings pretty please..

BTW I blame myself too as on another thread I promised not to recognise and contribute to this thread..

I think the concern was not that people are anti-PB, but that a new season is judged after two matches. I appreciate people are quoting our end to last season, as well, but I think it's unfair to lump that in with the current squad of players.

Just as an aside, who do you think were bottom of League One after 2 matches last season, having not even scored a single goal?

Geoff Boycott always says that you should add two wickets to the score before getting too carried away with your position.

I'm not sure what exactly the footballing equivalent would be, but if we suffered a string of fluke injuries and got relegated (something hardly beyond the realms of possibility that we may yet achieve without the aid of injuries) would we be in a stronger position than before Brown took over?

I struggle to see how we would be.

I don't think the squad is any stronger. I can't see any young players primed to breakout (maybe McLoughlin and Sokolik although it seems like the latter has fallen out with the manager already). We're in a weaker financial position than we were 3 years ago. I don't see us as another year further down the PB masterplan as he doesn't seem to think further than the next match - nobody's got a clue what formation or lineup we'll field in two months' time as it all change after the next string of defeats.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, so enjoy the sunshine and bask in the win - it's been 5 months since we last won (also against Sheffield United, although this time 3-0 instead of 3-1).

Geoff Boycott always says that you should add two wickets to the score before getting too carried away with your position.

I'm not sure what exactly the footballing equivalent would be, but if we suffered a string of fluke injuries and got relegated (something hardly beyond the realms of possibility that we may yet achieve without the aid of injuries) would we be in a stronger position than before Brown took over?

I don't think the squad is any stronger. I can't see any young players primed to breakout (maybe McLoughlin and Sokolik although it seems like the latter has fallen out with the manager already). We're in a weaker financial position than we were 3 years ago. I don't see us as another year further down the PB masterplan as he doesn't seem to think further than the next match - nobody's got a clue what formation or lineup we'll field in two months' time as it all change after the next string of defeats.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, so enjoy the sunshine and bask in the win - it's been 5 months since we last won (also against Sheffield United, although this time 3-0 instead of 3-1).

Thats just doesn't work for football...do you have to improve by "3 wickets" before we've improved then? Load of tosh.

McLaughlin is 26, not quite a young player.

Completely agree though.

I'd urge all SUFC supporters to get behind the team on Saturday.

We badly need a home win to give us some momentum.

(IronicallY, I was planning to come over for this game-before the Brexit result).

it's been 5 months since we last won (also against Sheffield United, although this time 3-0 instead of 3-1).

Talk about fudging the figures to fit your own opinion. :stunned:

You elude to the fact that out of those 5 months that you stated above, 3 of those months have been between last season ending and this season starting.

On your basis, I may as well counter act that and say, "Were on fantastic form.....we have only lost 1 league game in the last 3 months".

You elude to the fact that out of those 5 months that you stated above, 3 of those months have been between last season ending and this season starting.

On your basis, I may as well counter act that and say, "Were on fantastic form.....we have only lost 1 league game in the last 3 months".

Well it worked well for Farage et al in the referendum so you may as well start making facts up.

Your stats are even worse. We lost to Gills and Port Vale this season in the league so we have lost 2 league games, not 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back