• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Even without England's involvement and, in fact, maybe even because of their absence, the European Championships are a mouth-watering prospect. Three weeks of Cristiano Ronaldo, Fernando Torres, Klass-Jan Huntelaaar and Franck Ribery at the top of their professional game, battling for supremacy. Every tournament however, brings a new name to the fore. A budding talent ready to flower in front of the world. This year, I think it's going to be Luka Modric.

Croatia are an interesting side and, like Germany, they can be sure of avoiding Italy, France, Holland and Spain all the way to the Final, so they've got a good chance to impress. They beat England home and away in their qualifying campaign and showed at Wembley that they have no concerns about ruffling the feathers of the supposed European elite. Without the stricken Eduardo, they lack a goalscoring figurehead, but in Modric, they have magic in their midfield. Slaven Bilic's side are solid enough across the rest of the pitch and, if their young creator is given a chance to express himself, you can expect some fireworks.

I'm still shaking my head in bewilderment that Tottenham managed to sign him. Chelsea and Arsenal were favourites, but it's possible that the Croat's representatives thought guaranteed first team football would be better than waiting for a chance behind Cesc Fabregas, or trying to usurp Frank Lampard, Michael Ballack and Michael Essien at Stamford Bridge. Mind you, the revelation that Darren Bent is one of the 20 highest paid footballers on the planet can't have hurt Modric's negotiations either. Payslip parity may be a more logical explanation for his decision to slum it in North London.

The White Hart Lane faithful are in for a treat next season, but before that, we'll all get to see him for ourselves in Vienna on June 8 when Croatia take on the tournament whipping boys, Austria. The home fans in Vienna actually campaigned for their own disqualification last year on the grounds that they were so bad that they would humiliate the nation. They even managed to lose at home to Steve McClaren's England, so they must be pretty awful. If Modric manages to find a little room in their midfield and starts to flash passes around, poor Austria could be in for a pounding.

Modric has been described by some as the new Johann Cruyff, which is high praise indeed, if a little premature. He certainly brings a number of Cruyff's attributes to the table. He can bring the ball under control on the move, he can release passes of superhuman precision with just a deft poke and when he gets the ball at his feet and runs, he can be impossible to stop. There are very few players in the world as comfortable on the ball as him, but if he wants to live up to these enormous expectations and comparisons, he has to prove himself this summer. Doubts remain over his slight build and sparrow-like physique, but being tiny never hurt Gianfranco Zola, another player that this little Croat resembles.

Modric wouldn't be the first player to have his head turned by enormous piles of money and he wouldn't be the first to crumple under the glare of the watching world, but I've always had a feeling about this boy. He's so good that, years from now, we could be talking about Euro 2008 as 'Modric's Tournament'.

Think you're being a tad harsh on Rio there Slip...

He's led United admirably this season, been the defensive rock thats got the club both the Premiership title and the Champions League trophy and, with Vidic, formed certainly one of the best defensive partnerships i've ever seen.

The past 3 years have gone by with not much controversy surrounding Ferdinand at all, he's been given this tag by the press as this Party Boy which was substantiated at the time, but he's settled down now and I can't remember the last scandal he's been at the heart of.

Ferdinand said it wasn't him solely responsible for the Christmas "Rape Party" and, I think for the first time, I actually believe him... Him settling down with his wife and having Children seems to have grounded him.

I'd certainly rather he get the armband over the Spitting, Apathetic, Nasty piece of work Terry any day. Then again, I'd rather Beckham get it over the pair of them... But I doubt he'd take it after McClaren treated him so poorly.

Regarding Croatia, they were going to be my adopted team for the Euros but I fear the loss of Eduardo is going to really hurt them up top.

Regarding Croatia, they were going to be my adopted team for the Euros but I fear the loss of Eduardo is going to really hurt them up top.

I'll be supporting whoever are playing Croatia.

I hate Croatia with a passion.

They are the most cynical, biggest cheats in world soccer.

From the cheating hamster Slaven Bilic getting Laurent Blanc suspended from the World Cup final to Igor Stimac racially abusing Dave Regis, their players have been the biggest ****s in world football since Croatia became independent.

Their games are completely unwatchable due to their constant diving and incessant shirt-pulling. To make matters worse, they have had a stream of over-rated players, from the completely one-footed Davor Suker to Alen Boksic, at one time the highest paid player in England (with Middlesborough), to AC Milan reserve Boban to that little **** Prosinecki and Aston Villa's £6m Bosko Balaban (worked out at about £3m a game).

The best thing I can say about Croatian football is that Sinisa Mihajlovic, the most odious man in world football, actually played for Serbia and Montenegro rather than Croatia. However, I think he had a Croatian mother/father, it would certainly fit.

Finally they have a **** Orient-esque kit. God I hope they get humiliated in every game.

Back