• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Been on a bit of a classic Hong Kong/martial arts tip of late...

Dragon Inn (1967)
Drunken Master (1978)
The Fate of Lee Khan (1973)

Dragon Inn served as a good introduction to the genre; beautifully shot, historic setting, decent amount of action, massive fight at the end - what more do you want? 7/10

Drunken Master is an early Jackie Chan film and one that propelled him to superstardom. The humour takes a bit of getting used to but the action is fantastic and Chan's star quality is abundantly clear even this early on in his career. Although I enjoyed it, I definitely prefer the more historic/Wuxia end of the genre. 6.5/10

The Fate of Lee Khan totally blew me away. It's quite slow at times, and it feels almost stage-bound with most of the action taking place on the same set (the interior of an inn), but it's so beautifully shot, so well acted, and with just enough action. And you also get the beautiful Angela Mao who kept me bewitched for every second she was on the screen. 9.5/10

Also re-watched (for around the 30th time) Mr Jolly Lives Next Door last week.

Ade Edmondson & Rik Mayal at their best. Along with Fistful of Travellers Cheques; my favourite Comic Strip Presents... films.

If you’ve not seen it and fancy a belly laugh it’s here (also stars Peter Cook and Nicolas Parsons!)

Watched wonder women 1984.

Not a patch on the first and was over clichéd over CGI'd garbage. 3 out of 10.

George Clooney in midnight sky (Netflix) was a decent film. 7 out 10.

Watched Dunkirk on the Beeb last night - didn't think it all that and not, imo, as well done as the 1958 version. And the flippin' soundtrack :Thumbs down: 4/10

Now, if they made a film about the character played by Mark Rylance (Dawson in the film) - allegedly based on Charles Lightoller - that'd make for interesting viewing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lightoller

Watched Dunkirk on the Beeb last night - didn't think it all that and not, imo, as well done as the 1958 version. And the flippin' soundtrack :Thumbs down: 4/10

Now, if they made a film about the character played by Mark Rylance (Dawson in the film) - allegedly based on Charles Lightoller - that'd make for interesting viewing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lightoller
I concur, very over rated, only the spitfire shots were wonderful, the sound of the Merlin.

It’s weird, had read how bad it was and I watched it this afternoon, it was actually far better than I expected - maybe it’s all about expectations.

ps - thanks for the link- very interesting

Ade Edmondson & Rik Mayal at their best. Along with Fistful of Travellers Cheques; my favourite Comic Strip Presents... films.

If you’ve not seen it and fancy a belly laugh it’s here (also stars Peter Cook and Nicolas Parsons!)

And now, ****ed from Norwich...

The Father with Antony Hopkins.A Hollywood take on dementia, which will probably get AH an Oscar nomination next year.The Ending was frankly maudlinTrite compared to Jean Louis Tringant in L'Amour a few years back.

Last edited:

I'm waiting for Four Men In A Car to be shown again (hopefully on London Live)

Siege of jadotville

I like true stories and I like war films and I like learning about stuff I knew nothing about so this ticked all three boxes.

it made me go and do some minor research afterwards and it appears to be fairly accurate

sorry, should have added I really enjoyed it

7.5 /10

Last edited:
Saqw Joan Littlewood's Sparrows Can't Sing with James Booth and Barbara Windor yesterday.A bit dated perhaps but still a wonderful fim.Extras on the DVD are great too.

(S'funny, had the nagging feeling throughout that I'd seen it before but I'm pretty sure I hadn't).

Back