• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I also learnt last night that social media should be avoided at all time when AJ fights. Everyone becomes an expert and some of the comments I read were absolutely shocking and clueless. I suppose it’s the same for people who watch Rugby at club level religiously and when the six nations is on everyone becomes an expert!

TBH, this is where the bad feeling towards AJ, stems from.

I've seen some absolute belters this morning. If I didn't know any better, I'd have thought Joshua was the second coming of Jack Dempsey, the way people talk about him

Phrases such as "undisputed", "unified" and "legend" urgh

TBH, this is where the bad feeling towards AJ, stems from.

I've seen some absolute belters this morning. If I didn't know any better, I'd have thought Joshua was the second coming of Jack Dempsey, the way people talk about him

Phrases such as "undisputed", "unified" and "legend" urgh

I do like him and it’s not his fault, he’s been brilliantly marketed but it does make me hate it when his name is mentioned. What really grips me is this sort of ****! And the worst thing is I don’t follow the **** but someone always retweets his stuff:

Here comes one of those fairweather fight fans coming out with a different opinion from you guys :hilarious:
I'm not an AJ can do no wrong fan but I thought it was a very professional performance which showed a new level of maturity. Didn't think AJ was ever at risk and controlled the fight. I did watch it in a ridiculously crowded pub but never saw AJ looking laboured, thought he got the job done with minimal effort. Not a great spectacle though

I think you're giving him too much credit, by saying it was minimal effort. He worked harder IMO, than any of his previous fights, which was simply due to Parker's style.

In previous fights, Joshua's opponents have basically stood in front of him, which effectively makes it target practice. whereas Parker was happy to utilise the ring, and work off of the backfoot, meaning Joshua had to go looking for him, and try different punches, combinations & movement to open him up. Which he couldn't. Unfortunately for Parker, he just didn't have the power to present a dangerous counter-attacking threat.

It's one of the reasons why I believe Tyson beats Joshua. His movement & footwork is vastly underrated, but is far superior to any other current heavyweight.

Here comes one of those fairweather fight fans coming out with a different opinion from you guys :hilarious:
I'm not an AJ can do no wrong fan but I thought it was a very professional performance which showed a new level of maturity. Didn't think AJ was ever at risk and controlled the fight. I did watch it in a ridiculously crowded pub but never saw AJ looking laboured, thought he got the job done with minimal effort. Not a great spectacle though

Apologies, I missed your post. First off you’re far from fairweather and don’t class in that bracket.

On your opinion I agree with GBJ you’ve given him far too much credit. Had Parker had the reach and height to match Joshua it would’ve been a far different outcome. Joshua was heavy breathing after 6 rounds and although he was never in real danger he didn’t clearly win that fight! I had Joshua up by 3 at the end with some very very close rounds. Some I even scored as 10-10 rounds. Wilder’s height, reach and KO power will give Joshua issues and although he is wild and leaves his defence open all the time we all know he has a granite chin. And as said before Fury beats all of them and I think 70% of the Fury that beat Klitschko still beats them all.

I'm definitely fairweather in comparison to you guys!

I saw Joshua controlling the centre of the ring and coming forward and saw a lot of Parker's jabs not reaching their target. Interestingly what I saw as a positive GBJ saw as something that caused Joshua trouble, Parker working off the back foot.
I'm sure we will see Wilder v AJ in the not too distant future and I agree that Wilder could trouble AJ but I still make AJ favourite for that fight. Totally with you that Fury beats anyone in this division if he gets close to where he was.

I saw Joshua controlling the centre of the ring and coming forward and saw a lot of Parker's jabs not reaching their target. Interestingly what I saw as a positive GBJ saw as something that caused Joshua trouble, Parker working off the back foot.
I'm sure we will see Wilder v AJ in the not too distant future and I agree that Wilder could trouble AJ but I still make AJ favourite for that fight. Totally with you that Fury beats anyone in this division if he gets close to where he was.

All very odd on that front, Hearn claims Wilder’s camp haven’t made a single offer.

Barry Hearn met with Shelly Finkel in NYC last year as reported, lunch was followed by an email about the fight.

Hearn never responded and that has been proven by Finkel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmCRUxT8V9g

So what Hearn is playing at is baffling. He openly admitted that they have 10 months to make this fight before the sanctioning bodies start to activate mandatory defences. I have a feeling this fight doesn’t happen because he see’s Wilder as the biggest risk (he obviously doesn’t feel Fury will come back or be any good) of Joshua losing his belts and he wants to cash in on the cash cow for as long as possible. Wilder will end up fighting Whyte and I could see Joshua fighting Povetkin, then something will cause an issue for the Wilder fight and it won’t happen. Which is a shame because it would be nice for all the belts to be on the line for Fury to return them back to his mantel piece.

All very odd on that front, Hearn claims Wilder’s camp haven’t made a single offer.

Barry Hearn met with Shelly Finkel in NYC last year as reported, lunch was followed by an email about the fight.

So what Hearn is playing at is baffling. He openly admitted that they have 10 months to make this fight before the sanctioning bodies start to activate mandatory defences. I have a feeling this fight doesn’t happen because he see’s Wilder as the biggest risk (he obviously doesn’t feel Fury will come back or be any good) of Joshua losing his belts and he wants to cash in on the cash cow for as long as possible. Wilder will end up fighting Whyte and I could see Joshua fighting Povetkin, then something will cause an issue for the Wilder fight and it won’t happen. Which is a shame because it would be nice for all the belts to be on the line for Fury to return them back to his mantel piece.

I can certainly see why Hearn would want that scenario. All the noises from the AJ camp is they want the fight and whether that is genuine or not it has to put wilder in a position of strength, they can go public with any offer and if they are willing to meet the demands of fighting in the UK and the purse in favour of AJ at the same % as Parker then the Hearn camp can't turn this down without losing a massive PR war and discrediting AJ?

Interestingly what I saw as a positive GBJ saw as something that caused Joshua trouble, Parker working off the back foot.

I mean, in fairness it's pretty subjective. There's no real right or wrong opinion, just different views. It's why judges will often give different scores for the same fight. It just depends on that the individual prefers.

I've believed for a long time, that the situation is quite simple. Wilder doesn't want to fight over here, due to the biased judging. And I think AJ will struggle to get an American ESTA, due to his past criminal convictions, due to drugs & gang-related activity, although that depends on how long ago the convictions were, and how long they stay on his personal record.

I mean, in fairness it's pretty subjective. There's no real right or wrong opinion, just different views. It's why judges will often give different scores for the same fight. It just depends on that the individual prefers.

I've believed for a long time, that the situation is quite simple. Wilder doesn't want to fight over here, due to the biased judging. And I think AJ will struggle to get an American ESTA, due to his past criminal convictions, due to drugs & gang-related activity, although that depends on how long ago the convictions were, and how long they stay on his personal record.

I hadn't thought of it from that angle. Would certainly explain why AJ was so dismissive of fighting in the US after the fight.

Edit: After a quick google it seems like he got over that hurdle in 2017 when he promoted the Klitsko fight in New York, the reports then seem to suggest that whilst getting that visa it was a given that he could fight in the US

I'm probably in your camp, in that Joshua came up against something he hadn't faced before, in Parker's speed and movement, and changed his plan to suit whilst still going for the KO when he thought the opening was there. He did well enough to win the fight without looking spectacular. The cards were too wide, but the right outcome was reached for the right reason.

However, and beware, this next bit became a bit of a getting it off my chest / rant type exercise, but here goes; It just feels too easy these days to bash anyone who remotely likes or supports AJ 'casual'. I hate the term myself. And any support of AJ is dismissed as a casual opinion or a fairweather fans view, and therefore invalid.

So I'm far from his biggest fan, and more than aware of his limitations, however: He's beaten everyone in front of him, he has a far better resume than Wilder and Fury, and yet he's criticised at every turn, and never gets the credit for any of his achievements. The one time he goes to cards, it's a Matchroom decision, when it's apparent to all he did win the fight. Yeah, they were wide, but it was still the right decision and there were a lot of close rounds, which could have gone either way, and if they go the way of a matchroom fight, it's a matchroom card. There are far worse cards on other show all the time.

Was AJ great on Saturday? No. Did he win? Yes. Did he adapt his style to suit a new style of opponent? Yes, and it worked. Yet, as per usual he gets nothing but stick. It's like no matter what he does, all the "non-casual" fans (read Fury fans) come out with the usual ******** about how his titles aren't legitimate, he's not a true champ, he is second rate, a 'robot', a hyped up 'bodybuilder', etc, etc.

I'm sorry, was the division just to stay on hold and wait for Fury? Of course not, other boxers picked up the mantle, won their fights and picked up the belts Fury was not capable to defend. Why does the fact he's incapable of defending his titles, diminish AJ's own achievements? As I said, AJ's CV is far more impressive than Fury's. Bar the WK fight (which was excellent by the way), Fury's is a bunch of 40 year olds, pumped up cruiserweights, and gatekeepers. In Fury's 20th fight, he was getting floored by Cunningham, a cruiserweight. Joshua had Whyte, WK, and Takam on his resume.

Neither of them deserve elite status, both have said stupid things (albeit one once to my knowledge, another repeatedly) but both do deserve kudos for their impressive achievements in the ring to date. Is Fury's victory the best of them both, yeah I'd say so. But currently, one is relevant, and the other isn't, and one is flying the flag for British boxing, the other is not. I don't understand the hate. I see as many people claiming Fury is a legend and TBE, as I do AJ.

I don't know why people simply refuse to acknowledge how well AJ is doing, he's beating what is in front of him, winning the belts, and building to a potential unification of the division, which is arguably harder to do against multiple champions, than it is to win them all in one fight. As it shows the one thing Fury hasn't been able to prove he has, consistency in high level performance. Was his win a flash in the pan, 15 minutes in the sun, or is he this incredible champion with sensational footwork, and ring craft that his one decent fight has hinted at, because the fights before WK weren't always that convincing? We simply don't know.

So to say with absolute certainty that Fury would wipe the floor with AJ, is a little bit ludicrous to me. Has Fury shown he can outbox AJ, definitely, has AJ got the power to stop Fury, absolutely.

Also, sadly, the fury-ites (who are as bad as the AJ-lites who claim he is TBE, for me) who never give AJ any credit, will all have their ready made excuse of, the WK Fury would have won easily, but he's been out of the game too long and that's the only reason AJ won, should AJ win a future encounter.

Sadly Fury's inactivity has robbed us of an intriguing HW division, and a true answer over who is best. But it doesn't mean we can't acknowledge the credit in what AJ is doing.

I hadn't thought of it from that angle. Would certainly explain why AJ was so dismissive of fighting in the US after the fight.

Edit: After a quick google it seems like he got over that hurdle in 2017 when he promoted the Klitsko fight in New York, the reports then seem to suggest that whilst getting that visa it was a given that he could fight in the US

Ok, I hadn't seen that. Strange how these strict rules only seem to apply at certain times.

I'm probably in your camp, in that Joshua came up against something he hadn't faced before, in Parker's speed and movement, and changed his plan to suit whilst still going for the KO when he thought the opening was there. He did well enough to win the fight without looking spectacular. The cards were too wide, but the right outcome was reached for the right reason.

However, and beware, this next bit became a bit of a getting it off my chest / rant type exercise, but here goes; It just feels too easy these days to bash anyone who remotely likes or supports AJ 'casual'. I hate the term myself. And any support of AJ is dismissed as a casual opinion or a fairweather fans view, and therefore invalid.

So I'm far from his biggest fan, and more than aware of his limitations, however: He's beaten everyone in front of him, he has a far better resume than Wilder and Fury, and yet he's criticised at every turn, and never gets the credit for any of his achievements. The one time he goes to cards, it's a Matchroom decision, when it's apparent to all he did win the fight. Yeah, they were wide, but it was still the right decision and there were a lot of close rounds, which could have gone either way, and if they go the way of a matchroom fight, it's a matchroom card. There are far worse cards on other show all the time.

Was AJ great on Saturday? No. Did he win? Yes. Did he adapt his style to suit a new style of opponent? Yes, and it worked. Yet, as per usual he gets nothing but stick. It's like no matter what he does, all the "non-casual" fans (read Fury fans) come out with the usual ******** about how his titles aren't legitimate, he's not a true champ, he is second rate, a 'robot', a hyped up 'bodybuilder', etc, etc.

I'm sorry, was the division just to stay on hold and wait for Fury? Of course not, other boxers picked up the mantle, won their fights and picked up the belts Fury was not capable to defend. Why does the fact he's incapable of defending his titles, diminish AJ's own achievements? As I said, AJ's CV is far more impressive than Fury's. Bar the WK fight (which was excellent by the way), Fury's is a bunch of 40 year olds, pumped up cruiserweights, and gatekeepers. In Fury's 20th fight, he was getting floored by Cunningham, a cruiserweight. Joshua had Whyte, WK, and Takam on his resume.

Neither of them deserve elite status, both have said stupid things (albeit one once to my knowledge, another repeatedly) but both do deserve kudos for their impressive achievements in the ring to date. Is Fury's victory the best of them both, yeah I'd say so. But currently, one is relevant, and the other isn't, and one is flying the flag for British boxing, the other is not. I don't understand the hate. I see as many people claiming Fury is a legend and TBE, as I do AJ.

I don't know why people simply refuse to acknowledge how well AJ is doing, he's beating what is in front of him, winning the belts, and building to a potential unification of the division, which is arguably harder to do against multiple champions, than it is to win them all in one fight. As it shows the one thing Fury hasn't been able to prove he has, consistency in high level performance. Was his win a flash in the pan, 15 minutes in the sun, or is he this incredible champion with sensational footwork, and ring craft that his one decent fight has hinted at, because the fights before WK weren't always that convincing? We simply don't know.

So to say with absolute certainty that Fury would wipe the floor with AJ, is a little bit ludicrous to me. Has Fury shown he can outbox AJ, definitely, has AJ got the power to stop Fury, absolutely.

Also, sadly, the fury-ites (who are as bad as the AJ-lites who claim he is TBE, for me) who never give AJ any credit, will all have their ready made excuse of, the WK Fury would have won easily, but he's been out of the game too long and that's the only reason AJ won, should AJ win a future encounter.

Sadly Fury's inactivity has robbed us of an intriguing HW division, and a true answer over who is best. But it doesn't mean we can't acknowledge the credit in what AJ is doing.

I’d just like to add that when I talk about the casuals and fairweathers I’m talking about the z list celebrities like Chris Hughes of Love Island ‘fame’. I listen to a lot of podcasts and hearing these idiots that get tickets compare him to Ali just makes me die!

I appreciate all that he does and like you say he can only fight what’s in front of him. The guy has had 6 word title fights in his 21 fight career which is impressive and holds 3 world title belts. (I don’t count the IBO it’s not a recognised world title and George Groves chucked his in the bin when he won it off Eubank Jr).

AJ has brought a lot of interest in UK boxing and it has done the sport a world of good. We now have boxing on Sky, BoxNation, BT Sport, Five, ITV, Dave and Spike! So we are inundated with the platforms we can now watch it. I don’t agree with the amount of crappy PPV’s that are made but we can’t argue when the yanks pay a hell of a lot more than we do for theirs.

I saw AJ win his first world title, I have a signed glove in a display with my ticket and programme on my wall. Just wish people wouldn’t go on like he is the second coming of Ali! He’s good in what essentially is a poor division (not his fault). I would like to see him lose as it’s always good to see how fighters come back from their losses and if you look in the boxing hall of fame there isn’t many who have maintained their 0.

Casuals and fairweathers are a plenty that follow AJ and only AJ. You ask these people if they know who Lomachenko is they wouldn’t have a clue. These are the people who watched the Joshua fight and blame the ref and say it’s his fault he didn’t KO him. They want to see him KO everyone they don’t understand the sweet science of boxing. I’m a miserable old **** and just set in my ways.

I’d just like to add that when I talk about the casuals and fairweathers I’m talking about the z list celebrities like Chris Hughes of Love Island ‘fame’. I listen to a lot of podcasts and hearing these idiots that get tickets compare him to Ali just makes me die!

I appreciate all that he does and like you say he can only fight what’s in front of him. The guy has had 6 word title fights in his 21 fight career which is impressive and holds 3 world title belts. (I don’t count the IBO it’s not a recognised world title and George Groves chucked his in the bin when he won it off Eubank Jr).

AJ has brought a lot of interest in UK boxing and it has done the sport a world of good. We now have boxing on Sky, BoxNation, BT Sport, Five, ITV, Dave and Spike! So we are inundated with the platforms we can now watch it. I don’t agree with the amount of crappy PPV’s that are made but we can’t argue when the yanks pay a hell of a lot more than we do for theirs.

I saw AJ win his first world title, I have a signed glove in a display with my ticket and programme on my wall. Just wish people wouldn’t go on like he is the second coming of Ali! He’s good in what essentially is a poor division (not his fault). I would like to see him lose as it’s always good to see how fighters come back from their losses and if you look in the boxing hall of fame there isn’t many who have maintained their 0.

Casuals and fairweathers are a plenty that follow AJ and only AJ. You ask these people if they know who Lomachenko is they wouldn’t have a clue. These are the people who watched the Joshua fight and blame the ref and say it’s his fault he didn’t KO him. They want to see him KO everyone they don’t understand the sweet science of boxing. I’m a miserable old **** and just set in my ways.

It depends where you set the mark for what a casual/fairweather fan is. I'm quite happy to be called a fairweather boxing fan as I don't watch much aside from the big fights and the only time I really see a boxer up and coming is if they happen to be on the undercard of one of these events. I like this thread as between yourself and GBJ there is a solid amount of viewing hours for most of the fighters we discuss and your opinions are usually pretty damn accurate when it comes to fight night. I see a lot of opinions on here regarding certain players and I often think "this guy is clueless, you can tell he doesn't get to many matches", simply because if you had watched enough of that player there is no way you would have that opinion. Much in the same way, I form an opinion on what I see but realise that in most cases I'm taking a small snapshot in comparison to what you have seen and respect those opinions.

This might actually be my favourite SZ thread as its informative and you guys know what you are talking about, it's not watered down by rubbish.

The short answer of why AJ gets so much flack, is due to the way he's been manufactured, packaged and sold to be public, by a team of con men.

People, like myself, can't differentiate between AJ the boxer, and AJ the Matchroom stooge, who is crammed down your throat at every opportunity.

People, like myself, can't stomach the biased & borderline fraudulent agenda which has been pushed harder by the Sky hype machine than for any other boxer in British history.

People, like myself, are despondent that Hearn can bang on about AJ selling out arenas & stadiums, but refuses to acknowledge or discuss why the Matchroom sponsors, are reselling thousands of those tickets for Upto 10x face value.

People, like myself, can't bare the fake persona that Joshua is forced to portray.

People, like myself, can't understand all the preferential treatment Joshua gets, be it boxing, media or legal matters.

It comes down to people's personal agenda, like most things in life. I can only speak for myself, but I make no bones about the fact that if Joshua had been with a different promotional company, then who knows, maybe I'd have been a super fan. But frankly, if you associate yourself with crooks & bell ends, then you can't be surprised if you end up being classed guilty by association.

And see, this is where the whole "casual" arguement stems from. Most people who watched the fight on Saturday, wouldn't begin to know, or understand all the points I made above. They just wouldn't know. It's not really public knowledge, and unless you immerse yourself in boxing, it's simply impossible to know. Yet they are the ones championing Joshua, buying the over-inflated tickets & paying the £20 for an evening of mis-matched fights. It's not their fault, it's the people at the top, making the decisions. And before you say, that's business, that's supply and demand, what kind of business model is it to regularly **** on your hardcore regulars?

To use an analogy, it's like at New Years, where some pub tries to charge you £20 to get in, becuase all the one-night-a-year drinkers come out to play. Who's to blame there? The casual drinkers? Or the greedy publican who's seizing an opportunity to line his pockets.

The short answer of why AJ gets so much flack, is due to the way he's been manufactured, packaged and sold to be public, by a team of con men.

People, like myself, can't differentiate between AJ the boxer, and AJ the Matchroom stooge, who is crammed down your throat at every opportunity.

People, like myself, can't stomach the biased & borderline fraudulent agenda which has been pushed harder by the Sky hype machine than for any other boxer in British history.

People, like myself, are despondent that Hearn can bang on about AJ selling out arenas & stadiums, but refuses to acknowledge or discuss why the Matchroom sponsors, are reselling thousands of those tickets for Upto 10x face value.

People, like myself, can't bare the fake persona that Joshua is forced to portray.

People, like myself, can't understand all the preferential treatment Joshua gets, be it boxing, media or legal matters.

It comes down to people's personal agenda, like most things in life. I can only speak for myself, but I make no bones about the fact that if Joshua had been with a different promotional company, then who knows, maybe I'd have been a super fan. But frankly, if you associate yourself with crooks & bell ends, then you can't be surprised if you end up being classed guilty by association.

And see, this is where the whole "casual" arguement stems from. Most people who watched the fight on Saturday, wouldn't begin to know, or understand all the points I made above. They just wouldn't know. It's not really public knowledge, and unless you immerse yourself in boxing, it's simply impossible to know. Yet they are the ones championing Joshua, buying the over-inflated tickets & paying the £20 for an evening of mis-matched fights. It's not their fault, it's the people at the top, making the decisions. And before you say, that's business, that's supply and demand, what kind of business model is it to regularly **** on your hardcore regulars?

To use an analogy, it's like at New Years, where some pub tries to charge you £20 to get in, becuase all the one-night-a-year drinkers come out to play. Who's to blame there? The casual drinkers? Or the greedy publican who's seizing an opportunity to line his pockets.

Great post and couldn’t have put it better myself.

Off the AJ hype train subject,

Canelo has pulled out of the May 5 fight.

You’ve got to read some of the **** De La Hoya is getting on twitter for talking about AJ. He is replying to a lot of it and some of the idiots really are clueless.

It's looking likely Gary 'Spike' O'Sullivan has talked himself into the fight.

Madness, as much as I like him can’t see him lasting long in with GGG. He was due to face Canelo after the May 5 fight regardless of the result of that. His promotional team are either very good or very stupid.

Back