• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should be, I'd never rule out a wilder ko though

Sure, it’s possible. For my mind though, Wilder is broken, and I can only see a repeat of their last fight… but quicker.

Hypothetically, let’s say Fury does best Wilder, the way this should be done is simple; Wilder Vs. AJ, and Usyk Vs. Fury. Winner faces winner.

Fair play to Matt @Ricey, too. You called this a long time ago. I always thought that Usyk would struggle at HW, and despite being an incredibly talented fighter, it would always come down to the old adage of good big guy beats good little guy.

He ****ing smashed it tonight though. I had it 9-3 to Usyk, and when Joshua started reeling at the end, I thought it was the icing on the cake for his performance.

Unbelievable. What a fight.

Well there were some good fights tonight.

But how did Hatton win his?

Regarding AJ, I was disappointed he seemed to rely on his jab and not throw enough right hands.

Usyk is a worthy unified world heavyweight champion.

I agree with The Big Dady, AJ relied on the jab too much. The first few rounds he hardly threw a right at all. Whilst watching it I actually wondered if he had damaged it in training or something, as he wouldn't throw it. All his power is in that right hand. Then he started to throw it, but still not much. It also allowed Usyk to fight his fight, as he wasn't as worried as he should have been about AJs right.

Dont be surprised if you here a rumour of a return bout with Ugas for MP ,i believe it may take place in November.

I agree with The Big Dady, AJ relied on the jab too much. The first few rounds he hardly threw a right at all. Whilst watching it I actually wondered if he had damaged it in training or something, as he wouldn't throw it. All his power is in that right hand. Then he started to throw it, but still not much. It also allowed Usyk to fight his fight, as he wasn't as worried as he should have been about AJs right.
Let’s look at AJs resume, the last southpaw he fought was Charles Martin and that only lasted a couple of rounds and he is up there as one of the worst heavyweight champions in history. This was his first big test against a southpaw who has an incredible boxing IQ. Throwing big right would only benefit Usyk with the counter. AJ worked that out early on everytime he tried to throw a big right hand he was countered and caught. If he continued he risked getting knocked out. Usyk’s footwork is phenomenal and the way he slips shots would make any middleweight jealous. Usyk had his measure all night! Also on his use of the jab, he’s started to use the jab more since the rematch against Ruiz. The right has made him more susceptible to getting hit so he sits back and tried to win with the jab off the back foot ala Wladimir Klitschko who was undefeated for 10 years with the exact same tactic and would wear down opponents then get the KO. He was never going to wear down Usyk.

Like @Ricky Otto said, he will probably try and come in bigger and go for the KO. That should’ve been his game plan anyway. He was never going to outbox Usyk. For context for those who don’t know about Usyk’s pedigree. He won everything in the amateurs. He fought 350 times in his amateur career! AJ had about 20 amateur fights before turning pro.

@GBJ I wouldn’t be surprised to see that either because he loses to Usyk again, does he really deserve a shot at the WBC title then? Dillian Whyte would be spitting feathers if AJ jumps the queue.

I genuinely think AJ needs to reinvent himself after this if he wants to beat Usyk. As I said earlier he is too one dimensional and easy to work out. Usyk and Fury are far superior boxers and AJs big selling point was his power, take that away and what does he have? Yes he beat Ruiz by sitting behind the jab for 12 rounds but that was a man who celebrated his AJ win a little too hard. Since that defeat he has changed trainers now and reinvented himself. AJ should do the same, but his loyalty to Rob McCracken, whilst admirable will also be his downfall. I think as long as Fury and Usyk hold the belts unless one of the money grabbing sanctioning bodies makes one of them vacate. AJ will not be a world champion again.

I’m a big fan of AJ but I guess that’s what happens when you’re in with an elite level boxer, and being a southpaw didn’t help!
I’m not sure what the plan was but it never got the chance to be executed as Usyk was in control throughout.
I guess AJ will come again - not sure it’ll make any difference but coming in heavier and a new trainer seems wise.
If Usyk did this to AJ thank god he didn’t face Fury

I understand what you're saying Ricey about being caught on the counter if AJ threw the big right, but he's not going to win against this boxer one handed. He has to throw the right to knock him out, or do bad damage. The trainer should have told him with about 4 rounds to go, our plan is out the window, you have to fight two handed for any chance to win.

I understand what you're saying Ricey about being caught on the counter if AJ threw the big right, but he's not going to win against this boxer one handed. He has to throw the right to knock him out, or do bad damage. The trainer should have told him with about 4 rounds to go, our plan is out the window, you have to fight two handed for any chance to win.
His trainer just kept shouting “Brilliant AJ” when he was anything but brilliant. You’re right he should’ve let go and Rob should’ve been telling him to do it. But AJ knew that he was susceptible to the counter and didn’t want to end up on his arse again like he did against Ruiz! He needs a refresh a new trainer and a new outlook, I can’t stress that enough.

Another big heavyweight title fight this w/e...
Surely Fury does another demolition job on Wilder? Though when you can punch like no other heavyweight Wilder always has a chance! I shouldn't be looking forward to this as its the 3rd time but I am!

Also the 6 of the top 7 uk SWWs are fighting each other on DAZN on Sat night - including my personal favourite Ted Cheeseman. These 3 fights are all near 50/50s to me so really looking forward to these.

On BT, also Sat night a British & Commonwealth WW title fight and a British, Commonwealth & EBU SBW title fight - enjoyed Cunningham beating Yafai last time out...

I'll be boxed out by the end of all these:Clap:

I hope Fury does a number on Wilder but I have a sneaky feeling Wilder will be on his A game and Fury hasn’t had an amazing camp from what is being said . Boxing needs Fury so I’m praying he wins to set up another great fight with USYK
cheeseman is always in a decent scrap so I can’t see it being any different this weekend

I hope Fury does a number on Wilder but I have a sneaky feeling Wilder will be on his A game and Fury hasn’t had an amazing camp from what is being said . Boxing needs Fury so I’m praying he wins to set up another great fight with USYK
cheeseman is always in a decent scrap so I can’t see it being any different this weekend
Exactly the same was said about his last camp and look how that fight went.

Last time out, Fury took Wilder’s soul. His heavy silences may have replaced the oddball conspiracy nonsense, but he ain’t fooling me.
He’s a broken man. A man who knows he cannot beat Fury, but a man who cannot back down either because his ego will not let him.

It was the ego that wouldn’t allow him to be humble after either fight. It was his ego that wouldn’t allow him to let it go. It was his camp’s egos that pushed for this trilogy fight, and it was his camps bank balances that will reap the rewards.

Malik Scott and Jay Deas have no business in boxing IMO.

Anyway. they’ve now shared 19 rounds together, and Wilder has a) landed that big shot just once, and b) won about 3-4 rounds total.

I’ve seen nothing of Wilder’s training to make me think anything will be different here. He’s still spindly legged, he’s still reaching with that overhand right and he’s still not able to throw a jab.

Is it possible he’s learned how to fight on the back foot? Can he push Fury back with the old’ stick and move tactic. Have you ever seen Wilder throw a jab?

I’m going all-in, Tyson win via stoppage in the mid-rounds. Easy money

I'm wrong a lot but I think a lot of the time in these matches I'm overly influenced by what the general consensus is for the result from fight fans and not what I have seen. Probably because I don't watch a massive amount of boxing aside from big fights, I'm far more confident calling cricket or football. Taking this into account I'm leaning away from the view that Fury will finish Wilder easily, the bookies suggest that Fury winning by KO/TKO/stoppage is the most likely outcome. I'm willing to take the excuse that Deontay was out of sorts in their last match and accept it as it seems plausible (the cheating etc doesn't). What I have seen from Fury over and over again is that he generally does enough, he outboxes whoever is put in front of him but it's rarely stunning performances. I expect Fury to outbox Wilder and win most of the rounds. On the flip side if you take that last match off of Wilders record you have a fighter who hasn't been stopped, I won't say unbeaten as we all know fury won the drawn match. I'm ruling out a Fury stoppage and going for Fury on points, with the slim chance of a Wilder KO.

Reading @GBJ above, I can see he has thought about it in a far more technical way than I have. I'm sticking with my prediction though

Reactions: GBJ
I'm wrong a lot but I think a lot of the time in these matches I'm overly influenced by what the general consensus is for the result from fight fans and not what I have seen. Probably because I don't watch a massive amount of boxing aside from big fights, I'm far more confident calling cricket or football. Taking this into account I'm leaning away from the view that Fury will finish Wilder easily, the bookies suggest that Fury winning by KO/TKO/stoppage is the most likely outcome. I'm willing to take the excuse that Deontay was out of sorts in their last match and accept it as it seems plausible (the cheating etc doesn't). What I have seen from Fury over and over again is that he generally does enough, he outboxes whoever is put in front of him but it's rarely stunning performances. I expect Fury to outbox Wilder and win most of the rounds. On the flip side if you take that last match off of Wilders record you have a fighter who hasn't been stopped, I won't say unbeaten as we all know fury won the drawn match. I'm ruling out a Fury stoppage and going for Fury on points, with the slim chance of a Wilder KO.

Reading @GBJ above, I can see he has thought about it in a far more technical way than I have. I'm sticking with my prediction though

Hopefully I won’t end up with egg on my face!

Frustrating fight. I’ve never been a fan of Fury fighting at 19+ stone. He always looks somewhat sluggish and laboured. The low end of 18 stone is where he’s at his best.

I also noticed something different about Tyson tonight. He’s started to believe his own hype & I thought he was very complacent out there. It’s true that every sporting superstar has to believe their own hype to a certain degree, but tonight it seemed like Fury felt he was impervious to anything Wilder could throw. I mean, this is still Heavyweight boxing, and every opponent at this top end of the scale carries danger.

The fourth round will have to go down as one of the worst of his entire career. It was sloppy, lazy and dangerous. Everything he’s worked for, everything he’s earned could have been ****ed away in the blink of an eye.

Wilder showed a lot of heart, but truth be told his night should have been much shorter. His confidence started draining away in the second Round 2 and by the end of Round 3, I believe it was gone completely. For the remainder of the fight, he knew the only way he could win was by landing one of those hail-Mary shots… so it would have hurt him even more to see Fury climb up from the canvas from not one, but two of them.

Whoever devised Wilder’s game plan tonight needs a check up from the neck up. Imagine coming in at a career heaviest when you don’t have a gas tank, and you’re facing a man who will use his own size and weight advantage to rag doll you at every opportunity. Odd tactics to say the least. I say again, Jay Deas has no business in this sport, and I’m not particularly fond of Malik Scott either. Both ****houses IMO.

As I said, Tyson could and should have ended it much earlier than he did. I thought he was rushing most of his shots, and just needed to relax & sit down on his punches a little more. But he got the win which is the main thing. However, he will have to know that his performance tonight was way below par, and someone like Usyk may just give him more trouble than he’d expect if he doesn’t address those issues.

Lastly, a big pantomime-styled boooooo to The Americans for not opening the borders and letting us in. I’d have gone to this one, and from experience I know exactly what kind of night it will be on The Strip now, which makes it even more sadder to miss out on.

Fury wasn’t at his best and could’ve let Wilder in for sure, he rode it out though and took those punches and it was enough. Could’ve gone either way and that’s what made it an interesting fight for me. But I don’t have your knowledge of boxing @GBJ ..

Fury wasn’t at his best and could’ve let Wilder in for sure, he rode it out though and took those punches and it was enough. Could’ve gone either way and that’s what made it an interesting fight for me. But I don’t have your knowledge of boxing @GBJ ..

Oh it was a decent fight, full of action and certainly at the end of the fourth it looked like it could go either way.

It didn’t need to be that close though, and that’s what I found frustrating.

Lastly, a big pantomime-styled boooooo to The Americans for not opening the borders and letting us in. I’d have gone to this one, and from experience I know exactly what kind of night it will be on The Strip now, which makes it even more sadder to miss out on.
Like they would of let you in with your connections to you know who..... :Smile:

Back