• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'd much rather have Paterson up front with Corr than Sturrock. "But Sturrock holds up the ball" etc etc. Why do we need that when Corr is better than him at that. Corr wins twice the amount of headers that Sturrock does, I also think Corr has better passing and strength. If Sturrock was a potent goal threat then a case could be made for his continual conclusion in the side.

Either Paterson or Spencer (is he unfit?) should be playing up front with Corr and trying to form an understanding and partnership. We don't have too many options, which is why support from Hall, Soares etc is vital, especially if we're playing two holding forwards such as Corr and Sturrock.
Winning headers and holding the ball up are two totally different things. Sturrock is the best we've got at holding the ball up, Corr the best at winning the flick ons.

Winning headers and holding the ball up are two totally different things. Sturrock is the best we've got at holding the ball up, Corr the best at winning the flick ons.

It's all very well being able to hold the ball up but Sturrock's passing is poor. He is too negative minded to be playing up front with someone like Corr. I noticed last night the amount of times that, when the ball was played up to Corr, Sturrock, instead of looking for the knock on, held his run and consequently our attack was broken down. At least Corr is a threat in the box. As a defender you'd rather mark Sturrock, knowing that all he is going to do it take a few touches then lay the ball off. I never get the whole 'oh but he's a playmaker', a striker must have a goal threat, regardless of their role. If they don't look like scoring then they simply aren't a striker. If we're going to play 4-4-2, we need 2 strikers, not Corr and a 'playmaker'.

Strikers are there to score and make goals, something Sturrock rarely looks like doing.

It's all very well being able to hold the ball up but Sturrock's passing is poor. He is too negative minded to be playing up front with someone like Corr. I noticed last night the amount of times that, when the ball was played up to Corr, Sturrock, instead of looking for the knock on, held his run and consequently our attack was broken down.

It worked perfectly at Bradford, when our midfield was considerably more mobile and willing.

That's not Sturrock's fault, that's the fault of a static midfield. In that situation, the forward needs to hold the ball up until someone gets open. If no-one gets open that isn't the forward's fault.

The ball does not need holding up when the forward is 5 yards in front of the midfielder with the ball!

thought sturrocks comments were honest enough,not sure about not beleiving in penalties though, i assure you PS they are real! !;)
And he could at least give us a "Like I said, the lads done ever so well" just for old times sake!

on a side note, anyone see the Barker/Evans interview? Evans doesnt seem to impressed being second choice keeper thats for sure!!

Here are Luggy's comments on the radio:

clicky

Interested to hear that his parting comments about Barker relate to the way that Barker will be able to help bring Bilel Moshni through - and that "they'll be a great pairing at centre-half".

On that basis, it sounds like our first choice back four will be:

Clohessy - Moshni - Barker - Gilbert

...which I have to say looks very useful indeed at this level, and more than adequate for the level above as well. I'd agree with the comments on other threads that, with 5 CBs on the books, we now look like we're carrying at least one too many centre halves at the club - bizarre, given that we only had one centre-half who belonged to us for the whole of last season. I wonder if we can get Prosser or Phillips out on loan at some point.

Matt

Snigger.

Paterson definitely hasn't yet "got" our system/style of play, which is a black mark against his footballing intelligence.

He looked a willing channel runner when he first arrived, but he wasn't even offering himself for that last night. I'm wondering whether his game has more to it, or whether he is that one-dimensional.

As for needing balls to feet, he showed no inclination to move for it, meaning that a defender could always just nip in front of him and get there first. There's some ability there, but IMO he looks like a project at the moment, which may or may not pay off. The only positive I can draw from his performance last night was his penalty, which was superb. He may be the best penalty-taker we've had since Mike Marsh.

Help me please, what is our system/style of play? If you mean hoofing the ball all over the park from defence and midfield and hoping one of our 'big' strikers wins it or flicks it on then it's crap football surely?

If Sturrock gets us to get the ball on the deck and pass it around Paterson will show (as he has done against Bristol City/Charlton/MK Dons etc, etc) just what a good footballer he really is. He is not a target man. He is imho a very intelligent footballer who constantly makes great diagonal runs and jsut doesn't get the ball!!! I've given up the amount of times I've watched him point to where he wants the ball and it is not delilvered.

On top of that I beleive that Spencer isn't getting enough pitch time either. Didn't he score 4 in 5 games in L1 or am I dreaming that? The belief that we need great big physical bulldozers upfront isn't correct, one maybe, but two - no, definitely wrong, far too negative, no creativity. Play either Corr or Sturrock (Corr for me) and either Paterson/Spencer (Paterson for me) besides them. Our wingers have provided the square root of zero, Soares, Hall and Zaboub have not contributed anything yet, when they do, I believe we will see more goals and a better footballing side.

I hate hoofball.

I agree we need a pacy centre forward, but so does everyone else so we wil have to manage with what we have. None of them give me great confidence to score 20 goals a season

If Sturrock gets us to get the ball on the deck and pass it around Paterson will show (as he has done against Bristol City/Charlton/MK Dons etc, etc) just what a good footballer he really is. .

I wouldn't get your hopes up. The days of us being a passing, attacking side are over, for better or worse.

Help me please, what is our system/style of play? If you mean hoofing the ball all over the park from defence and midfield and hoping one of our 'big' strikers wins it or flicks it on then it's crap football surely?

We're still capable of some very good passing football. We might get the ball forward a bit quicker than we did in the past, but we play some good stuff at times - look at the build up for Grant's goal at Bradford for example. That was excellent one touch stuff, moving the ball about with pace and purpose. That certainly wasn't crap football.

If Sturrock gets us to get the ball on the deck and pass it around Paterson will show (as he has done against Bristol City/Charlton/MK Dons etc, etc) just what a good footballer he really is. He is not a target man. He is imho a very intelligent footballer who constantly makes great diagonal runs and jsut doesn't get the ball!!! I've given up the amount of times I've watched him point to where he wants the ball and it is not delilvered.

It isn't just this team Paterson has been unable to fit into, it's last year's team as well. So far Paterson has shown occasional glimpses but little more. In fact I'd say it's not just you who has given up, he appears to have as well. Maybe that's a confidence thing. Personally I think the movement Sturrock shows is more intelligent, the way he drops into space, but I suspect you've pigeon-holed him as a target-man and therefore incapable of intelligent play.

On top of that I beleive that Spencer isn't getting enough pitch time either. Didn't he score 4 in 5 games in L1 or am I dreaming that? The belief that we need great big physical bulldozers upfront isn't correct, one maybe, but two - no, definitely wrong, far too negative, no creativity. Play either Corr or Sturrock (Corr for me) and either Paterson/Spencer (Paterson for me) besides them. Our wingers have provided the square root of zero, Soares, Hall and Zaboub have not contributed anything yet, when they do, I believe we will see more goals and a better footballing side.

I hate hoofball.

Spencer has been injured.

The belief that you need physical bulldozers up front is because when we haven't had them up front (eg last 20 minutes at Aldershot), we haven't been able to retain possession. That isn't just because we've played the ball long into them, the passes played into feet haven't stuck and Paterson and Spencer have been too easily dispossessed. Just because Corr and Sturrock can handle themselves physically (Corr in particular) it doesn't mean that they are useless lumps. Look at Corr's goal v Bradford for example, or that effort he had at Aldershot when he flicked it over the defender and volleyed it. They are players who can play.

Can't understand any resentment towards Paterson, he's a 20 year old kid who has already scored in the CCC, L1 and the Carling Cup, give him a break for god sake. He needs time on the pitch, he is going to get that this season, so instead of putting the lad down (coz I am sure he is mightily peed off that he's behind the gaffers son) lets get behind him and hope that he puts in a few more excellent performances that he already has done!

Can't understand any resentment towards Paterson, he's a 20 year old kid who has already scored in the CCC, L1 and the Carling Cup, give him a break for god sake. He needs time on the pitch, he is going to get that this season, so instead of putting the lad down (coz I am sure he is mightily peed off that he's behind the gaffers son) lets get behind him and hope that he puts in a few more excellent performances that he already has done!

Sorry Matt. Don't think we are showing resentment towards you. Frustration maybe.

I thin that this thread lost it's way a bit. The intention was to gauge everyones opinio on what they thought about Sturrocks open and frank comments about the teams performance. I has ended up as a thread giving opinions on certail players and primarily who our strikers should be.

I'd appreciate some more thoughts on the threads original question.

Back