• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

re Eastwood. So many times now he makes runs and wants the ball played early but his team mates just aren't quick enough either mentally in seeing the ball to play and/or making the actual pass. Often by the time they see or make the pass the space has closed and Fred's got 2/3 defenders on him and the opportunity is gone. I never want him to leave the Blues but I'd love to see him in a team with players of the same quality in terms of his footballing brain.

I'm glad someone else enjoys watching Freddy play and can see that his teammates just aren't good enough for him.

He is a real delight to watch. Not just his quick feet, but his quick thinking. He is our best passer of the ball by a country mile. I use to think Maher was a very good passer (albeit normally sideways!), but Freddy is miles better than even Maher. Freddy may still get muscled off the ball a little too often, but otherwise he is fantastic at holding the ball up, because he always plays the right ball. I've lost count of the number of times he's spotted JCR unmarked and played a good ball to set JCR on the attack only for JCR to then fail to spot the ball to play.

If someone like McCormack or Gower makes a run from deep, Freddy invariably tees them up. Its so rare for Freddy to waste a ball (at least when he has got options) and his passes are invariably to someone in a better position than he is. Had we a second player with his eye for a pass, then we'd already be safe.

Having said all that, for such an intelligent footballer, he's got a pretty poor understanding of the off-side laws! Some of the time is because his team-mates haven't spotted his run, but certainly not all the time.

I'm glad someone else enjoys watching Freddy play and can see that his teammates just aren't good enough for him.

He is a real delight to watch. Not just his quick feet, but his quick thinking. He is our best passer of the ball by a country mile. I use to think Maher was a very good passer (albeit normally sideways!), but Freddy is miles better than even Maher. Freddy may still get muscled off the ball a little too often, but otherwise he is fantastic at holding the ball up, because he always plays the right ball. I've lost count of the number of times he's spotted JCR unmarked and played a good ball to set JCR on the attack only for JCR to then fail to spot the ball to play.

If someone like McCormack or Gower makes a run from deep, Freddy invariably tees them up. Its so rare for Freddy to waste a ball (at least when he has got options) and his passes are invariably to someone in a better position than he is. Had we a second player with his eye for a pass, then we'd already be safe.

Having said all that, for such an intelligent footballer, he's got a pretty poor understanding of the off-side laws! Some of the time is because his team-mates haven't spotted his run, but certainly not all the time.

Whilst I agree about Eastwood's vision and passing (although I'd still rate Mark Gower as comfortably our most creative passer of the ball), theres still room for improvement. Yesterday he had a great opportunity to play in JCR on the break shortly before we scored when JCR had yards and yards of space. He eventually looked up from the ball and picked him out but the pass wasn't great and the chance was gone.

I admit i sometimes get anoyed at the lack of, and timing of Tilsons substitutions, but yesterday, 1-0 up with 5 minutes to go, you just dont change anything.

Or you put on some fresh legs andmove Bradbury to right midfield to make the side more solid. Leeds were pressing hard and Tilson tried to make it harder for them, unfortunately didnt pay off. Decent tactical move to me though.

Or you put on some fresh legs andmove Bradbury to right midfield to make the side more solid. Leeds were pressing hard and Tilson tried to make it harder for them, unfortunately didnt pay off. Decent tactical move to me though.

Putting fresh legs on surely equals taking Bradbury off? He might have been having a decent game but even so he plays in lead boots and a knackered JCR is still more mobile.

I also can't understand why you would ever take off Freddy with less than a two goal lead. He (and possibly the also subbed JCR) is the one player who commands respect from opposition defenders. Leaving him up front will mean someone has to mark him and will be wary of venturing forward. Bradbury might win more headers but if you want the ball to stick you are far, far better off playing it to feet/chest than trying to flick it on. Even if you blast it into Freddy's waist he'll take the ball down, and dribble it into the corners. Far more effective than Bradbury who is only adept at holding the ball up if support is around him.

The easiest way to close out a win is to score another goal. Freddy is our best option to score a goal. Freddy might have been struggling, but a struggling Freddy is still our best option.

Finally, the pyschological effect of taking your best attacking player off in favour of more defensive minded players is tantamount to saying you are only now interested in defending. Surrendering the iniative, when you are looking more dangerous on the counter is poor management IMHO. Tilly has generally done a great job, but his subs on Saturday reminded me that he is still human.

I'm with Yorkshire Blue, Eastwood was our most effective attacking weapon at that point because Leeds were constantly mindful of him potentially catching them on the break. I think we lost out big time when he came off. Same with Harrold coming on too. Bradders was getting hold of just about everything going forward and we lost a lot of our momentum when he was moved to the right. Suddenly we lost both of our 'out balls' which piled some unnecessary pressure on us defensively and eventually we buckled.

Last edited:
Eastwoods first touch and control is head and shoulders above anybody in our side. He does have an annoying habit of drifting offside..But I think he has a fast footballing brain to...The final ball to him is often to late.

Back