• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

League 2 - what RM always wanted ?

I'm sure if you have any suggestions on how to run a lower league Club at anything other than a huge loss, Ron Martin and the other Directors would love to hear from you.

Yes, I'd make sure we got Cup Ties against Chelsea (preferably a couple) and Manchester United. I would ensure that we uncovered at least one gem from a local non-league side who we could sell for a massive amount. I'd try to keep crowds in the upper quartile for our division. What I would not do is spend vast unspecified amounts on admin fees and I would not pay League One quality players Championship wages.

Yes, I'd make sure we got Cup Ties against Chelsea (preferably a couple) and Manchester United. I would ensure that we uncovered at least one gem from a local non-league side who we could sell for a massive amount. I'd try to keep crowds in the upper quartile for our division. What I would not do is spend vast unspecified amounts on admin fees and I would not pay League One quality players Championship wages.

We haven't spent "unspecified amounts on admin fees". The breakdown of the 2007 figures are in the finance board and are broadly in line with what we'd expect to pay and what we've historically paid. 2008's wasn't broken down but again was in line with historic levels.

I agree with the second part. But the bulk of fans don't care what a player is paid as long as they perform.

Despite all of those bonuses (not that a selling club selling a players should really be seen as bonus revenue), we're still running at a loss. That's life in the lower leagues.

What I would not do is spend vast unspecified amounts on admin fees and I would not pay League One quality players Championship wages.

And i suppose that you'd rather be supporting a team in the Blue Square South but making a small profit each year ?? Were you one of the members of this board that were demanding that Ron splash the cash when we were in the Championship ??

yeah and running a lge 2 team is a lot cheaper - it reduces his losses - and keeps the Sainsburys/FF deal going -

funny how people keep saying he/sufc are running at a loss, hes put XYZ millions in - and then can't see that maybe he seen a way to reduce costs and keep his other balls in the air -

hey ho - looks like common sense to me but ......

If you'd said that he was cutting costs and wanted to have as little outgoings as possible then I'd have thought that most would agree with you. It's pretty obvious that that is the case. Our cashflow is destroyed and we have no way of funding any further losses.

But you argued that this is a deliberate attempt to get us relegated when it isn't. Running a Club in League Two isn't by definition any cheaper than running one in League One. But sponsorship, prize and attendance money would all fall. It just isn't a good business option.

Back